I am at the bottom of my thumbs so I can bend them back. However, recently I have been getting pain in thumb in my fretting hand and I think its because It bends back without me realising whilst im playing.

Does anyone else suffer from this issue? If so, is there a way around this problem?

(didnt searchbar so sorry if this has been said)
Quote by GezzyDiversion
Sadokun: Eating cardboard never tasted this good!

Quote by Otis Lee Crenshaw
Billy Ray Cyrus? Billy Ray Cyrus is about as f****** country as a bag of f****** wet mice, alright?
i'm double jointed in the same way you are i think, but i've never had any pain like that. The only advise i could give would be to make sure your thumb doesnt lock back while you play, try to keep it slightly curved.
*Insert hilarious quote here.*
good to see im not the only one who can do it =)

Hmmmm I will try that then and just pay more attention to it. It hasnt been a bother over the last year i played but it has came up as of the last week or so now.

Nooby thing to ask, but how do people position there thumbs when they play. say going up and down the strings from 6th to 1st. do you move with your fingers up and down or move in the opposite direction to them (your thumb goes up as your fingers go from 6th to 1st)? I think maybe my thumbs position might be causing the pain.

Sorry if that doesnt make sence
Quote by GezzyDiversion

Billy Ray Cyrus? Billy Ray Cyrus is about as f****** country as a bag of f****** wet mice, alright?
I am too, but only in my left. It isn't an issue though.

edit- my thumb stays in pretty much the same place unless bending.

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Every minute is to be Grasped........................................................................Time waits for nobody.

Last edited by Volta_91 at Jul 3, 2010,
did you mean slightly curved going in to your hand or away?

Been playing and pain doesnt seem to hurt now that I have paid attention to my thumb and put it in a better position. Must have been because it was not in a good position and my double jointed thing made it feel worse.
Quote by GezzyDiversion

I have that too but it hasn't been a problem. I tend to keep my thumb "locked" when I play. Don't put your thumb flat on the neck but point the tip of your finger slighty towards it, and then put it in the middle of the neck.
I have it too. Both thumbs actually. But it was never an issue. I too keep my fret hand thumb straight.

The weird thing is, I cannot re-produce the situation Sadokun. Do you keep your thumb pretty parallel to the neck, thus causing it to bend? If so, move it to a more vertical position and try to keep it that way.
How to Program a Metalhead ?
Quote by Wise_One
The weird thing is, I cannot re-produce the situation Sadokun. Do you keep your thumb pretty parallel to the neck, thus causing it to bend? If so, move it to a more vertical position and try to keep it that way.

Yeah, when I was playing earlier, it didnt hurt thought my thumb was vertical to the neck. When it did hurt, my thumb was parrallel to the neck I think. I think I just picked up a bad habit out of no where. Least its solved now =)

Thank you to all
Quote by GezzyDiversion

this thread was VERY useful. i have been playing all afternoon and my left hand thumb is killing me! i have noticed this here recently when ive been practicing extra hard. only my left thumb is double jointed and sometimes it makes me sooo mad because it keeps me from being able to do bar chords at times. im scared im gonna have arthritis in it. :/ next time i play ill try the parallel thing but i dont know if my fingers will reach. i always play vertical to reach the fingerings. thanks! good luck to anyone else having the problem. it HURTS....
I am in both thumbs. I find it uncomfortable to play with my thumb positioned on the back of the neck so it has to go on the top for all the time, apart from some barre chords.

Try to make sure your thumb stays in a comfortable and natural feeling (for you) position.

It affects the way I hold a pick to.