Hi

i bought a REALLY cheap classical guitar from walmart. its made by burswood, from laminate/man made woods on the body, and cost me £12.50 - in a half price sale!

It came with what i guess to be REALLY cheap crappy nylon strings.

After a few months the sounds made by this guitar were really dull, & it doesnt stay in tune too well even if it hasnt been played - so im guessing this may be a sign of how crap the strings are.

If i were to put some good quality classical nylon strings onto it, how much of a sound improvement could i expect?

And how long will nylon strings remain in good working order on a guitar, even if it isnt being played at all? if they were left tuned to standard tuning.
Would it help the strings stay better for longer if they were slackened off in the case if the guitar isnt going to be played for some time?

Thanks.
Last edited by madeinchina1 at Jul 3, 2010,
I've had the same problem with my Esteban classical guitar. I learned that the only way to prevent the strings from un-tuning themselves is by tieing them correctly. There are some youtube videos that will show you how if you haven't already solved that problem. Otherwise, the only advice I can give you is not to buy your guitars from walmart anymore lol.
Quote by Equivalence
Good quality strings will be more expensive than the guitar...not worth it by a mile.

Thanks, but thats not really what i asked.

The guitar may have been low £, but to buy a comparable quality guitar in a musical shop would cost around £60.

Even £200 classicals purchased in a musical shop i am informed, will often have a man made wood back, and man made wood fretboard that is painted black.

So really, my guitar aint that much worse. It actually looks quite tidy & is the correct size, shape in every way.
Also, to answer your question about the sound improvement, if the strings are tied correctly, they will still sound different than a normal acoustic or an electric. That's only because classical guitars are designed for those nylon strings. They're meant to be played by finger picking the strings with your fingernails. Picks still work though and if you just use a hand without fingernails, it makes the tone sound much more soothing and relaxed, versus a modern acoustic/electric guitars mettalic sound.
Quote by worn_chaos789
I've had the same problem with my Esteban classical guitar. I learned that the only way to prevent the strings from un-tuning themselves is by tieing them correctly. There are some youtube videos that will show you how if you haven't already solved that problem. Otherwise, the only advice I can give you is not to buy your guitars from walmart anymore lol.

Yes.

it came with a couple of spare strings, which i have replaced in the correct way, but the rest are straight from the factory, & were laced up the right way.

You can buy ball end nylon strings for easier fitting.
Your guitar sounds like shit and most likely is shit. But the beauty of a classic guitar is that theyre made for playing. If you bought new strings they may very well not stay in tune. If your guitar has a cheap bridge/saddle and cheap tuning pegs, your guitar isn't gunna stay in tune. To slack your strings is just ridiculous. I dont wanna sound like a prick. Best bet is to find a new classic guitar. Decent strings will cost more than you paid. Buy a better guitar
Quote by JakkyLeMatt
Your guitar sounds like shit and most likely is shit. But the beauty of a classic guitar is that theyre made for playing. If you bought new strings they may very well not stay in tune. If your guitar has a cheap bridge/saddle and cheap tuning pegs, your guitar isn't gunna stay in tune. To slack your strings is just ridiculous. I dont wanna sound like a prick. Best bet is to find a new classic guitar. Decent strings will cost more than you paid. Buy a better guitar

Thanks. But again not very helpful.

How will the cheap bridge saddle make it slip out of tune?
Sorry forgot to post this part
Ball end strings are good enough for a beginner. A seasoned pro may laugh at you (they're considered to dull the sparky sound) but theyre much easier to set up. I'd suggest D'addario classics ball end.
a cheap bridge/combined saddle will not be cut perfectly and/or be made from cheap materials that the string will slip on
Quote by JakkyLeMatt
Sorry forgot to post this part
Ball end strings are good enough for a beginner. A seasoned pro may laugh at you (they're considered to dull the sparky sound) but theyre much easier to set up. I'd suggest D'addario classics ball end.

Thanks.

yes a dull sound is what i am wanting to eliminate so maybe ball ends are not the way to go.
If the guitar came with the strings attached and it still had a problem with staying in tune then I would have to agree with JakkyLeMatt. Buying a better guitar would seem like the way to go. It's not as if you spent a ridiculous amount of money on the guitar you have now. However, while the guitar may not be worth spending money on or playing, you can still sit it on a guitar rack or stand and have it look cool lol.
If you've had the guitar for a few months, then yes you probaby need to change the strings. Nylon strings generally last longer than steel, but still no more than 2-3 months. It also depends on how you play it. And nylon strings have to get tuned on a regular basis where steel strings stay in tune better.
Quote by JakkyLeMatt
a cheap bridge/combined saddle will not be cut perfectly and/or be made from cheap materials that the string will slip on

ahh right, so there a lack of grip. Maybe the ball ends would be a good idea in this case then
Quote by neb9
If you've had the guitar for a few months, then yes you probaby need to change the strings. Nylon strings generally last longer than steel, but still no more than 2-3 months. It also depends on how you play it. And nylon strings have to get tuned on a regular basis where steel strings stay in tune better.

So even if you havent played it since you last tuned it, nylon strings will probably need retuning 2 months down the line?

Is this because the nylon stretches quite easily?

What happens evenetually, does the nylon keep stretching & stretching until a point where it has thin sections, & possibly snaps?
I've had nylon strings on my classical acoustic for quite some time now and it doesn't seem to be the nylon strings stretching that is the cause of the guitar tuning itself down. It seems to be that where the strings are tied is sleeping very very slowly. I found this out after tuning the guitar, and the high e string untied itself from its tuning gear. Which is why i made the comment about making sure each string is secure after tieing it.
Yea id go the ball ends. I started playing a classic after about a year of playing electric. I love my classic, but the bastard wont stay in tune for more than a couple of minutes playing, so i never bothered with learning to tie the strings. My guitar was a well made Suzuki which my grandmother bought. Suzukis are collectors now (especially japanese customs like mine) thing is mine was mistreated for years of my brother and nan leaving it around or chucking it away. My saddle/bridge is chipped, the neck is dented and slightly bent and the headstock was broken (now held together by a rag) and the tuning pegs were loose ans heads were rusted and jammed somehow but it still plays like a dream with D'adario ball ends and drop tuned. Moral of the story is love your guitar no matter how much its been through
Great thing about guitars is finding solutions to problems & improving where possible to get the max from it.

If tuning pegs slip, i reckon feeding a bit of blu-tac onto the thread, might just help. But firstly, check all the little screw connections on the tuning peg, as often you'll find they just need tightening, to get that sturdier tuning setup.
i brought one of them last year, to see if i wanted to play.

last july i changed the strings, cant remember what but cost around £15.

not tuned it since, still in tune, still sounds ok to me.

i look at guitars the same way i do fishing tackle. who cares what you have got and how it looks or what it costs. as long as you enjoy it.

i even brought one of these http://www.guitarbitz.com/268.htm i like it. and thats all that matters.