So I'm currently in the process of buying my first half stack. I am purchasing a used Mesa/Boogie Nomad 100 head from my local music store (I currently have it on lay-away) and I also planned on getting a rectofier cab with but I wont be able to afford that if I get accepted in school this year.

So I'm looking on Kijiji and Craigslist for affordable used cabs. My choices have come down to a Laney 4x12 and a Marshall 4x12.
My question is: Does the brand of cab really make any difference in sound? I know I want a closed back cabinent.
Last edited by bokma at Jul 3, 2010,
I haven't used a Laney 4x12 but I hear nothing but good things. It depends on the speakers and cab construction but Laney construction is supposed to be solid, Marshall varies. What kind of speakers are in both, and what kind of Marshall 4x12? do you have links you can post?
The cab does make a huge difference. The speakers in it are of course the biggest factor. If you're a Devin Townsend fan you probably want something with Vintage 30s which are the most common speakers in the world of rock and metal.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
the marshall jcm 1960 series is pretty good. you might just want a 2x12 though. i had a couple 4x12s (marshall 1960 and avatar vintage) before but decided that they're too big and unnecessary. if you're from the states check out avatarspeakers.com you can pick and customize it with the speakers you want and even can choose tolex and grill colors.
Laney cabs are pretty good. Both the Laney and the Marshall can have good speakers. The marshall is bound to have some form of Celestion (probably either a G12T75 or Vintage 30). The Laney could have a Celestion 70 Eighties but it could also have British H&H drivers. They are all good but different.
The Laneys have always been a well built plywood cab.
It all depends on the drivers really.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Why not get a 2x12?

A 2x12 with v30s will be able to handle up to 120 watts.

The drivers in the laneys are deffinately lacking, theyre budget speakers, you'd get better tone from a 2x12 with good speakers than a 4x12 with less than mediocre ones.

Look into avatar, orange, fender supersonic, framus 212, Blackstar Artisan are all good cabs with V30s.
I could be wrong but I seem to recall that some Laneys had Eminences in them too. You'll have to ask what's in them or you're buying a pig in a poke, esp with the Laney. The 1960 (is the Marshall a 1960? I hope it's not a pissy little MG cab) will at least have G12T75s which are a respectable speaker.

Becky is right though a nice 2x12 Avatar would be a good option as a stopgap measure until you get your Mesa cab. Handy to have a 2x12 hanging about antway.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jul 3, 2010,
All the new ones have 70/80s, besides the lionheart 212 that has G12Hs. And the 210 which has some jensens in it.

The old ones had HHs, which werent much to sing about either.
One of my pairs of 15" PA bins are Laneys with H&H speakers. I quite like them, for some things I prefer them to my other pair of 15"s which are loaded with huge mofo JBLs. Of course you can't draw any conclusions from that.
If the Laney is loaded with something good I think I'd prefer it to the 1960, they have pretty nice boxes. If it's the original speakers, not so much.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Marshall - older straight Valvestate 412, Celestion G12L's

Laney - very clean angled cab for SS head, 412, Celestion Rocket 50's

both 8 ohms, Laney can run two heads, not sure about the Marshall.

The Laney is in better shape and $100 less, I'd still probably try and find a 212 though..