Hey guys i need some advice here. So i guess my friend wanted to put a band together for school next year to be in this talent show right? and they wanted me playing guitar, and im pretty good at guitar. But, the auditorium were playing in is, how to put this.., well it can hold maybe 100-250 people at my best estimate. with 250 being the max amount of people (every seat in room filled, which i highly doubt at the moment but you may never know).

So i wanted to ask you guys i guess, what kind of guitar amplifier would be the best to play in this kind of setting? something 100-250 people could hear?

I'm oblivious to amps, don't know anything about them, so i want your guys' opinoins! we'll probally be doing some from skillet, paramore, flyleaf, not decided yet.
Red Soldier
will you be micing the amp or not?

IMO amps that ain't mic in large rooms sound pretty urgh.
im sorry could you explain more on "micing the amp"? i know not the first thing about amps, so im sorry lol. i got this little practice amp i got as a gift that i use now, but thats all i know.

EDIT: also i currently don't really have a budget, i have a job currently, so i guess, ill see what i can do.
Red Soldier
Last edited by redsoldier at Jul 3, 2010,
What's your budget?

EDIT:
Quote by redsoldier
im sorry could you explain more on "micing the amp"? i know not the first thing about amps, so im sorry lol. i got this little practice amp i got as a gift that i use now, but thats all i know.

EDIT: also i currently don't really have a budget, i have a job currently, so i guess, ill see what i can do.

Micing an amp means placing a mic in front of the amp to pick up the sound, generally at a lowish volume, and running it through a bigger PA system at a louder volume and spreading the sound out more with the PA's speakers.

Also, it's best to give some sort of a budget. I mean we could recommend something that might suit you at $250 or $2500
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
Last edited by GNR4EVER at Jul 3, 2010,
Quote by redsoldier

basically micing is where you position a microphone infront og you guitar amp speaker and have the microphone conected to a pa system.

we still need a rough estimate on how much you're preapred to spend, if you say i haven't got a budget you'll more than likely get a whole lot of suggestions for a $4000 head a cab
umm i guess i can set a budget at $200-$500?
Red Soldier
Last edited by redsoldier at Jul 3, 2010,
Get like a small fender combo... Thats what paramore use I think?
Otherwise have a look around... My advice is stay away from Line 6... but i'd try and find out from the place whether it is possible to mic an amp... Because if so then look at a smaller version of a better quality amp compared to not being able to and therefore having to get a bigger version of a lower quality amp
"I've Been Imitated So Well I've Heard People Copy My Mistakes"- Jimi Hendrix

We're born to lose, so live to win
20-50 tube watts would suit you absolutely fine.. You might need a pedal for boosting though as there aren't too many very highgain amps around that price range (new).

if you post the city your in or closest large city some nice fellows here may scour Craigslist for you...
Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
Get like a small fender combo... Thats what paramore use I think?
Otherwise have a look around... My advice is stay away from Line 6... but i'd try and find out from the place whether it is possible to mic an amp... Because if so then look at a smaller version of a better quality amp compared to not being able to and therefore having to get a bigger version of a lower quality amp

paramore uses a Marshall
JCM2000 Dual Super Lead and a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
Quote by MatrixClaw
anyway, i must be off, my gf says we gotta go cause i poked her and now she's bleeding

Quote by BobDetroit
The real question is why the **** are you talking to your mom about a Mesa?What the hell did you think she was going to say?"No dear, I prefer Dual Rec tone?!"
Last edited by Aashraya at Jul 4, 2010,
if you have PA speakers you can always mic the amp.. simple as that. unless the sound system is complete garbage, you will have no problem. get whatever amp you want.

you don't any special equipment to mic an amp, just a shure sm57 mic, an xlr cable, and hopefully a powered mixer. anyone who owns a PA system should own an sm57 or something close to that.

oh but to answer you question, marshall tubes are great amps, pricey but good for that type of music.

if you want to be cheap, get something like a solid state vox valvetronix and mic it up. that will sound just fine too..
Last edited by JohnFrusciante6 at Jul 4, 2010,
Quote by Aashraya
paramore uses a Marshall
JCM2000 Dual Super Lead and a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier

What? Seriously? What on earth do paramore want with a mesa???
"I've Been Imitated So Well I've Heard People Copy My Mistakes"- Jimi Hendrix

We're born to lose, so live to win
Quote by DaMarsbarPerson

Hahaha, I think they have a pretty nice sound though. They may not be the ideal band to use Rectifiers, but forget about the stereotypes of the amps.

(big fan of paramore:P)
Quote by MatrixClaw
anyway, i must be off, my gf says we gotta go cause i poked her and now she's bleeding

Quote by BobDetroit
The real question is why the **** are you talking to your mom about a Mesa?What the hell did you think she was going to say?"No dear, I prefer Dual Rec tone?!"
Quote by AcousticMirror
hailey's mine. I saw her first.

nuh uh! :P

too bad she is already taken.

Anybody know their settings on the boogie?
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by Aashraya
nuh uh! :P

too bad she is already taken.

Anybody know their settings on the boogie?

BOULDERDASH
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by DaMarsbarPerson

Rectos were pretty much the modern voiced amp there for a while. Pretty much every rock/emo/pop-punk/etc.. band going for a modern sound was using Rectos somewhere on their backline, whether live or in the studio. Paramore, My Chemical Romance, Blink 182...
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
Quote by AcousticMirror
BOULDERDASH

Hydropump? :P
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit