I have been jamming with my rythm guitarist friend and bassist friend. My bassist friend continues to turn up his bass volume ultra loud during our jam sessions. As lead guitarist I dislike it but I wanna know the appropriate level of volume for my bassist friend to be at. We play metal and he is influenced by Cliff Burton and David Ellefson mainly. HOW ****ING LOUD SHOULD HE BE!?!?

Also he is awesome
Quote by valennic
They'll rape you in 6 different directions till sunday...and then eat you.

It should be at least loud enough to feel it.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Loud enough so you can all hear it, especially the drummer.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Two simple rules to follow:
1- Don't be a dick and make him inaudiable
2- don't let him turn up loud enough to ruin the music
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by gilly_90
Two simple rules to follow:
1- Don't be a dick and make him inaudiable
2- don't let him turn up loud enough to ruin the music

This, repeat until correct.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
if you cant hear the bassist its not loud enough, if you cant hear yourself or can hear everything but drums. Its to loud. (in the second instance everyone is too loud if you drown out the drummer
His EQing may be a bigger problem if he's turning it up really loud for audibility.
You need to be able to hear him in the mix. If you can't hear him, his volume is too low (or his tone is so muddy it just sounds like a bunch of blurts and farts coming out of his amp).

Just out of curiosity, what amps are you, said bassist, and said rhythm guitarist using?
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Tostitos
You need to be able to hear him in the mix. If you can't hear him, his volume is too low (or his tone is so muddy it just sounds like a bunch of blurts and farts coming out of his amp).

Just out of curiosity, what amps are you, said bassist, and said rhythm guitarist using?

Bassist is using 20 Watt Legacy amp and the rhythm is using his brothers old shitty bass amp w/ distortion pedal... we have only just started
Quote by valennic
They'll rape you in 6 different directions till sunday...and then eat you.

20 Watts? That must sound terrible when he blasts it then. If you don't have a drummer, (as I assumed when I read the post originally) none of you really need to be cranking the volume too high to begin with.
Quote by JimiAwesome
Bassist is using 20 Watt Legacy amp and the rhythm is using his brothers old shitty bass amp w/ distortion pedal... we have only just started

theres your problem 20w is fine for practicing on your own but when you want to be heard your wanting at least around 250w to be heard over a drummer unless he's like a mouse.

The low wattage + gained to the max through a small speaker is going to sound atrocious for the whole sound.One thing to do is tell him to roll it off untill you all find a suitable mix for all of you and please please dont go metal core and make him scoop to the extremes or turn him into murderface its one thing that always dissapoints me bout metal bands live sometimes is that it becomes a guitarist/singer ego competition.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
When mixing recordings, the general rule is to start with the bass guitar about the same level as the snare drum. Then you can adjust it according to the guitars etc. But also EQ is rather important.
'97 Modulus Flea Bass w/ Lane Poor
Warwick Corvette Bubinga

Gallien Krueger 700RB-II
GK 210 RBH
EB Volume Pedal, EHX Black Finger, EHX POG, Malekko B:Assmaster Germanium, EHX Holy Grail, KORG Pitch Black
www.myspace.com/astheends
i favor the bass and i like it to be very loud, but you have to be able to hear the drums as well...the guitars arent THAT importaint to me...but they should be able to be heard, if while your playing the only sound your getting is RUMBLLEEEE and the snare shaking, its too loud. but it should be pretty much alittle louder than the guitar to match the drums, in my opinion.
Spoon + Pen = Spen
Quote by HJS >.>
What would be the best bass string size to play something like Slipknot

Quote by Brad_Bassist
No strings. If you're playing Slipknot, you don't deserve strings.