just when summer came, i have more time to practice, but i dont feel inspired
i'm more interested in computer games <.< kinda pisses me off, inside i know i must practice if i wanna get good
how can i overcome this so i'd want to practice? precious time is going to waste
happend to mer like a weak ago .
take like day wacationa way from the guitar
don't play or think much about it
then go back find some of your favorite songs or
some ql new songs . Maybe an easy one to get motivated .
maybe take a walk otside or try to write your own song it helped me
get motivated .
Try to do prety much everything but computer games
I once felt like that, and decided to learn stuff that would really push my technical boundaries. I found stuff like Dream Theater, Nevermore, Paul Gilbert, Andromeda, Jason Becker and many more, and found myself finding interest in music beyond anything i had done before, much better than the generic alt rock crap i liked before. Now, I dont think I'd ever go back, after experiencing the intelligence and brilliance behind such music, thats actually well thought out and so much more fun to play.

Try looking into bands you may or may not have heard before, but ones that will really push you to your limits. Once you start, you will likely find yourself addicted; Hell, I sure did
I watched my favorite guitarist play

Youtube Jeff Loomis, any of his lessons. You'll break out of your rut.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by Ic3
happend to mer like a weak ago .
take like day wacationa way from the guitar
don't play or think much about it
then go back find some of your favorite songs or
some ql new songs . Maybe an easy one to get motivated .
maybe take a walk otside or try to write your own song it helped me
get motivated .
Try to do prety much everything but computer games

tbh i took a break for 3 days...when i came back, still nothing
i'm actually pretty hard to motivate
Paul Gilbert gave a concert, didnt effect me much to practice more
Quote by Ibarshall_X
tbh i took a break for 3 days...when i came back, still nothing
i'm actually pretty hard to motivate
Paul Gilbert gave a concert, didnt effect me much to practice more

You either want to play, or you don't. To me it sounds like you're not into it.

Why fight it?
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jul 3, 2010,
Quote by GuitarMunky
You either want to play, or you don't. To me it sounds like you're not into it.

Why fight it?

I think this true.
At one point, I was really pushing [forcing] myself to practice and stuff--which is dumb.
I think it should just be more of a natural thing, play/practice/noodle when you feel like you want too.

When it becomes a "job" then it looses it's purpose and fun.

I am slowly getting back into my guitar again but this time I won't approach it as a chore.
TOTAL BRO
It will come back to you if you are really passionate about guitar.

What kind of music do you play? I'm going to go out on a limb and guess metal. If I'm right, try to branch out a little. Play some blues or something. I've tried playing metal before and there is nothing to it. Got bored real quick. Just drop your tuning maybe and crank up the distortion and that's it. Metal really doesn't have much feeling to me. Don't get me wrong, I do like some heavy bands. The heaviest I like are NIN and Deftones. And neither of those are metal. I do dig Type O Negative a lot, though.

Try something different that you haven't done before and I bet you will get some inspiration.

I got out of guitar for a little while, too. I got so out of it that when I started playing again recently, my finger tips hurt again. Now I can't stop. I play every single day every chance I get. My poor strat is collecting dust because I've been on the acoustic lately. Maybe I should explore some sounds on the strat later.

And...how the hell could playing guitar feel like a chore to some of you? Are you guys struggling and suck that bad?
Last edited by c_foster88 at Jul 3, 2010,
Quote by c_foster88
It will come back to you if you are really passionate about guitar.

^Agreed. I started playing guitar when i was 4, didn't stop till I was 16. Was finding my music of choice was getting...bland. Started getting into computer games, and my playing drifted to a 5 year halt. Now 21, with hand problems and a constant battle to heal so I can play again. This time with a better outlook on the instrument and music as a whole. Maybe a break is what you need, just don't take it too far
Ibanez S540BMAV
Vox VT15
Morley Power Wah

Saving for x100b
here's an idea.

start praticing the music from the games, start listening to some of the games pieces and try to play by ear, alot of the time when i get burned out on my normal practice, i just try to play some video game music i like, hell thats the way i learned to play the temple theme from zelda 2(one of the greatest pieces of video game music EVA! ) on the guitar, violin and viola.

not only that, but it might getya back into the groove of playing altogether, its helped me with that as well.

If that still doesn't work, then i suppose you could try what some of the other guys listed, like trying different styles like blues or something, or take a break fro just a little while, as crazy as that sounds, it can help a bit, taking a break from something can alot of the time actually be good for you.
I find learning a new technique or style of music makes things interesting - but if you don't want to play then guitarmunky is right - why fight it? I like playing football but if i can't be bothered to play then i don't. Simple.
Go out and watch a live band in the flesh that has a proficient guitarist, It could be a famous band, or it could be a local band.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
im a taking a small break from guitar...3rd day of rest today
going to live concerts doesnt really inspire me :/
but ye allready im feeling better
perhaps it was just a bad day
Quote by c_foster88
3 day break? Oh, man. I'd die!

Yes, C Foster, we know your guitar is like your brother. While almost all guitarists love making music and playing at concerts, not many like practicing scales over and over. That sure feels like work to me. So every time I do "work," I make sure to unleash my creativity after.
For now, stop playing guitar unless you really want to, you don't want to force yourself to practice every day, especially when your loosing your motivation. After a few days of not playing, or playing very little, you'll most likely start to miss playing the guitar, and when you feel like you "want" to play, instead of you "have" to play, then you can pick it back up again.
Quote by leg end

"Roses are red,
Violets are bitchin'
Goddammit woman,
get back in the kitchen"
Quote by Ibarshall_X
just when summer came, i have more time to practice, but i dont feel inspired
i'm more interested in computer games <.< kinda pisses me off, inside i know i must practice if i wanna get good
how can i overcome this so i'd want to practice? precious time is going to waste

It's normal to have other desires outside of music, don't worry too much about it. If you're adamant that you have to keep playing then why not allocate your day/evenings to playing guitar and night time to playing video games?

And remember, it's not a race. You'll develop in your own time
Quote by MousseMoose
Yes, C Foster, we know your guitar is like your brother. While almost all guitarists love making music and playing at concerts, not many like practicing scales over and over. That sure feels like work to me. So every time I do "work," I make sure to unleash my creativity after.

Yes. Scales can become tedious lol. I started playing guitar in November 2004 and didn't start practicing scales until recently in fact. So, my soloing skills are lacking. I learned the blues scale when I started playing guitar, but that was it. So, I knew minor pentatonic as well obviously. Scales are very much theory related so I started doing them.

Strange thing is, I have always known theory. Especially chord theory (yes, there is a such a thing). Mainly thanks to a chord theory book I purchased. So I have always been able to find and name my own chords. It's even easier now that I am understanding scales and the fretboard.