Page 1 of 2
Why is it so many people bash basswood as anything but a cheap wood to build guitars out of? Arguably, it isn't pretty so there is no motivation to show it off with a clear finish. But I've heard many people say things like "wow!! basswood sucks,why is this 2500$ guitar made out of BASSWOOD!!"

I dont know what kind of misinformed-paranormal idiots Would make comments such as that,it's ok to say that you dont prefer it but it is completely stupid to say that it sucks..I think it has something to do with the fact that all these "popular" metal brands use basswood in their low end guitars and thus it has created a false impression that basswood is "low quality"..

ok so all basswood haters listen up alright,there is low quality basswood and there is high quality basswood too(I dont know how many times I had to say that in the past month that I've joined UG )just like there is low quality nato mahogany(if you can call it that) and high quality varieties too...it isnt a low grade wood..

and then I see idiots that say "OMG!!!that JEM is made out of basswood..how stupid is that?"..ok listen up, obviously its not stupid..steve vai chose that wood to make his guitar with..just like john petrucci,PG,EVH and joe satriani did..I bet they know a thing or two more about "tone" and "wood" than any of us on the internet

End rant
Last edited by archenemyfan at Jul 3, 2010,
I agree completely. Pretty much every wood has high quality varities.
Gibson Faded Cherry Flying V
Epiphone Goldtop Les Paul
Digitech Whammy Pedal
Dunlop Crybaby Wah Pedal
Boss DD-3 digital delay pedal
Electro-Harmonix Hot Tubes Real Tube Distortion pedal
personally i dont like guitars made out of it because they dont have any sort of aesthetic appeal (cant see grain like maple, ash, rosewood, etc) and the sound is bland. basswood has a neutral sound that does not resonate as well as some other tone woods. it doesn't have any sort of effect like "maple is bright" "mahogany is dark" or whatever. its just neutral, and i've always found the tones out of it (no matter the pickups in it) to be very bland.

also, the guitars made from it are incredibly light so they feel like a toy. i dont like
Quote by demon.guitarist
If it sounds good, who gives a shit what it's made of. I wouldnt care if it was made from floor boards if it sounded insane.

My friend made a guitar out of a stair-step. It sounded better than my gibson
Gibson Faded Cherry Flying V
Epiphone Goldtop Les Paul
Digitech Whammy Pedal
Dunlop Crybaby Wah Pedal
Boss DD-3 digital delay pedal
Electro-Harmonix Hot Tubes Real Tube Distortion pedal
Does this thread have a point to it?

We all know that different wood qualities have different tone. Lower end one sound bad, lots of guitars use lower end basswood. Nothing new.
I think you should take you rant to your local guitar store, or just post in threads where you see that kind of ignorance.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
What I've realized over lots of discussions online, is that the wood "brand" a guitar is made of, plays a really small role in the output sound. And I think it's pretty accurate since the pickups, the strings, the pick, the amp, the settings play a much more significant role than the wood.
How to Program a Metalhead ?
Quote by Simsimius
Does this thread have a point to it?

We all know that different wood qualities have different tone. Lower end one sound bad, lots of guitars use lower end basswood. Nothing new.
I think you should take you rant to your local guitar store, or just post in threads where you see that kind of ignorance.

yes it has...to show that basswood does not suck

and I have seen loads of people say that in here..
I used to be like that a long time ago because i mixed up basswood with balsawood, and i'm like, "WTF i made that crappy car in shop class with this sh*t! Why is it $2500?!". then i played a JEM and it totally changed my mind and now i definitely know the difference lol.
Last edited by GibsonMan321 at Jul 3, 2010,
Quote by User_Name336
personally i dont like guitars made out of it because they dont have any sort of aesthetic appeal (cant see grain like maple, ash, rosewood, etc) and the sound is bland. basswood has a neutral sound that does not resonate as well as some other tone woods. it doesn't have any sort of effect like "maple is bright" "mahogany is dark" or whatever. its just neutral, and i've always found the tones out of it (no matter the pickups in it) to be very bland.

also, the guitars made from it are incredibly light so they feel like a toy. i dont like

well,its ok to say that you dont like it. ..and sounding neutral can be good for music stylesI agree with that...but Its completely ignorant to say that it is inferior to any other wood ..thats what tried to explain.
Quote by demon.guitarist
If it sounds good, who gives a shit what it's made of. I wouldnt care if it was made from floor boards if it sounded insane.

I believe the idea is that if it's made from floor boards it will not sound good
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
I believe the idea is that demon.guitarist does not care what wood the guitar is made from if it sounds good.
Cool story

My jag is basswood, and more resonant (louder unplugged) and heavier than my other 2 fenders, one made from poplar and one from alder.
I think its more of the built of the guitar. I prefer ibanez basswood to its mahagony models (rg321mh) anyday. I also have a strat copy with basswood body and it doesnt have the bright vibrant sound of my ibanez gio. even gio . lol
Quote by Wise_One
What I've realized over lots of discussions online, is that the wood "brand" a guitar is made of, plays a really small role in the output sound. And I think it's pretty accurate since the pickups, the strings, the pick, the amp, the settings play a much more significant role than the wood.

Uh, no? I really don't agree with that.
CHEAP basswood sucks. Real American basswood is the shit. Ask Suhr, Tom Anderson, Joe Satriani, and EVH. They all swear by it.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Shinozoku
CHEAP basswood sucks. Real American basswood is the shit. Ask Suhr, Tom Anderson, Joe Satriani, and EVH. They all swear by it.

the wood that ibanez use on their prestige line is also really good..but thats the point I am trying to prove here,Do not generalize basswood as if there arent any high end varieties and the say that whole species sucks..
What the companies are calling basswood on their cheap guitars now is still just Agathis I believe, because Agathis is naught but a cousin of basswood. Just like Nato (which I'll take over Agathis any day) is a cousin of mahogany.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
I haven't actually seen anyone say this in a while. Similar statements yes, but nobody saying anything that sweeping.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by Simsimius
We all know that different wood qualities have different tone.

I personally don't buy into that theory, especially not in the case of solid body electric guitars. I mean, yeah maybe a very sensitive instrument would be able to detect some frequency emphasis differences, but not something that's distinguishable by the human ear. And even then, those slight differences would not be as much about wood species as about the individual wood pieces.
Quote by duncang
I believe the idea is that if it's made from floor boards it will not sound good

Check out this forum thread. Then tell me if you still believe what you stated above.
Quote by Tempoe
It's pretty heavy compared to Alder, I prefer lighter guitars.

actually its the other way round,basswood is usually lighter than alder...whatever the basswood guitar you're comparing to has to be made out of good quality wood..and the alder guitar... not..
Quote by demon.guitarist

A lot of floor boards are made out of Oak, which is very hard which would make a very very VERY bright guitar with a lot of sustain. However, it has a tendency to be "knotty" and to warp. I think Brian May had a guitar made from a floor board (or a banister or a mantle or something)
Like anyone playing metal is going to notice the difference between any types of 'wood quality'
it's because squier use cheap basswood. if squier use it, everyone says its a bad tonewood, unless it's alder, because fender use that - according to your average n00b all pieces of wood are exactly the same if they are the same species.

^^Brian may's guitar was made out of a wooden frame from a fireplace, apparently, which i think was actually mahogany. but i'm not sure. The replicas have mahogany bodies though.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Jul 3, 2010,
Quote by Blompcube
it's because BC Rich Bronze series use cheap basswood.

Fix'd

Usually when I see basswood bashing BC Rich is the reason.
But I also thought a while back that all basswood was shit till I heard the difference for myself.

Don't Squier use agathis on their lowest end models and not basswood?
Basswood has a very flat and dull frequency response. If that's what you want, use it. But personally I'd much rather have other wood types given the choice.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Also, kind if off topic, but JEMs, unlike most Ibanez guitars, are actually alder.
Please excuse my godawful username. I was thirteen.
Quote by Tinderwet
I personally don't buy into that theory, especially not in the case of solid body electric guitars. I mean, yeah maybe a very sensitive instrument would be able to detect some frequency emphasis differences, but not something that's distinguishable by the human ear. And even then, those slight differences would not be as much about wood species as about the individual wood pieces.

I actually agree with that.

I mean its an electric instrument, how can tone from body wood be transfered into electrical current?

Obviously sustain and resonation of the strings themselves will be, a good peice of wood would sustain better, but body wood is probably one of the least important aspects of a guitars tone.
I just finished putting together my Esquire build. It's basswood with a GFS Neovin overwound pup and It's got the punchiest tone I've ever heard in a guitar.

The negative reputation with basswood is that many cheap guitars use it and therefore it comes with that connotation. However usually what the cheap mfctr's use is whatever the high-end factories rejected. So, stuff like the expensive Ibanezes, EB Music Man, etc etc uses pretty high quality basswood that doesn't sound as dead and midrangy as what you'll find in a $150 Epiphone or Ibanez or ESP.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
breaking news!
bad basswood is extra bad
good basswood is extra good

news report at 11. scientists astounded.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
i love basswood myself. great mids and bass, not too many harsh highs (all pretty general, of course) and it's light.

has a bad rep because of the cheap-o basswood they use in some guitars, but the high end stuff (MIJ RG's, Wolfgangs) is AWESOME.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Quote by van01010100
Pretty sure my 10th and FP are basswood......

Just operating off of the Ibanez website.
Please excuse my godawful username. I was thirteen.
Quote by Thrasher51
Just operating off of the Ibanez website.

Its only the VWH and VSBL that are alder, all the other JEMs have been Basswood, but they're all discontinued except the DBK. The Universes have always been Basswood.

Basswood is seen as crap by some people because its used on cheap guitars. Thats basically it, people associate it with cheap guitars, when its actually a great wood (IMO)
Quote by emaxwelkooti
My friend made a guitar out of a stair-step. It sounded better than my gibson

That is badass on a scale that can't be measured.
imo, if oyu can operate an amp correctly, you should be able to get a good tone no matter what the guitar is made of
GEAR
Guitar
Ibanez RG42DX
Peavey Valveking100
Avatar 4x12 cabinet w/ Celestion Vintage 30's
Line 6 Spider 3
DOD Flanger
Ernie Ball Strings
Bass
Dean Edge 4
Peavey TNT 135
GHS Strings