Hey guys,
I'm having a bit of trouble with this moveable Cmaj9 chord.

e - X
B - 3
G - 4
D - 2
A - 3
E - X

What would you say the best way to mute the thin e string is?

At the moment my third finger is on the B string on the very tip (near the nail.) so that the pad of the finger mutes the e.
Although I accidently muted the e with the side of my first finger by having my hand too close to the neck of the guitar.
I was thinking is this a mistake? (As I know you shouldn't hold the guitar like that.)
Or as it's an easier way should I mute the e string that way?

Is there any other way of muting it?

Thanks for your help in advance.
Well I dont quite know what you mean about having your hand too close to the guitar. I have small hands and in the only way thats comfortable for me to voice that chord I mute the low E with my index finger naturally.

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
I play that same shape a ton. Just don't pick the high E. Simple as that. Just practice strumming slowly and ending after you pick the B. If you're fingerpicking, there shouldn't be a problem

I'm assuming that you're playing on clean though. If the open string is ringing out with distortion, I'd just tilt my wrist back a bit (towards the ground) so that your fingers are slightly flatter on the strings and you can mute the high E.
The guy's a beast, but he uses 8s. So he's shit.
-juckfush on Alex Hutchings.
Assuming my fingering is the same as yours
A=middle
D=Index
G=pinky
B=ring

I found it eaiser to mute the thin e string with the my index finger gently resting on top of it. Couldnt do it with any other way that was comfortable.

How close is you hand to the neck? I think it is fine as long as you are not resting your hand directly on the neck.

Cheers for showing me a new chord btw =)
Quote by GezzyDiversion
Sadokun: Eating cardboard never tasted this good!

Quote by Otis Lee Crenshaw
Billy Ray Cyrus? Billy Ray Cyrus is about as f****** country as a bag of f****** wet mice, alright?
Cheers guys.

VeilOfMaya. I do use a pick. And play acoustic, so distortion isn't too big a problem for me.
My only worry is if I was playing this shape for C#maj9 and I was strumming fast and then accidently hit the e string and BAMN suddenly I've made a major **** up.....
And my guitar career is ruined.......

Also, as the ring finger is curled most it is difficult to flat it on the e string without muting the other strings with the middle finger and little finger...

Glenthemann. By having my hand too close to the guitar I meant the first section of the index finger, closest to the palm, mutes the e string.

It didn't occur to me I could drop my index finger on the string like a barre.....
Damn, its so obvious now!
(Although does require a slight change in hand position.)

EDIT: btw. It's a nice chord isn't it?
Last edited by Lum at Jul 4, 2010,
Cmaj9=x35453 ???
easier for me

EDIT : oh sorry, i though typed cmaj 7...

cmaj 9 : x35435
Last edited by kenz.94 at Jul 5, 2010,