simple question ... mesa boogie dual rectifier w/ kt66/kt88's , or a splawn nitro ?? as far as an amp that completely totally brings the brootalz ??
AGILE PS970/4000 (one off custom) :: JACKSON DKMGT :: DEAN SOLTERO
MESA Dual Rec (2CH) :: (2) AVATAR 2X12 cabs w/ celestions

BUGERA 6262 FOR SALE !!!
I would have to say the Dual Recto is more metal then the Nitro. That said, both are great amps. The Splawn is a hot rodded Marshall. 311 or Bostonrocks know more about Splawn, so wait for them to post.
Gear:
Ernie Ball MusicMan JP7
Schecter Hellraiser 006
Mesa Boogie Road King s.2
Mesa Boogie 4x12 Recto cab

Ibanez Keeley TS-9
TC Electronics G-Force
Amp Gizmo
Voodoo Labs GCX
Voodoo Labs Ground Control Pro
Last edited by fbeckinsale at Jul 3, 2010,
Quote by fbeckinsale
I would have to say the Dual Recto is more metal then the Nitro. That said, both are great amps. The Splawn is a hot rodded Marshall. 311 or Bostonrocks know more about Splawn, so wait for them to post.

kool. i own the mesa in question, but have a chance to pick up a nitro in its place. i have always been intrigued by the splawn amps, but since they seem to be more of a boutique style amp i can only go by soundclips ... cuz noone in my area sells em.

BUGERA 6262 FOR SALE !!!
Well, do you like nu-metal-ish br00tz or ballsier, mid heavy br00tz? Both amps can do more than either, but that's the general two categories I'd put them in.
Both are very much metal amps.

If we're talking a 2 channel Recto and a Nitro here, then it's really a toss up and up to your own preferences.

While the Recto will have a giant "wall of sound," it's also much tighter than its 3 channel counter parts. It has a lot of low-mid grind to it and is awesome for rhythm. They are very easy to record and sound HUGE on recordings.

The Nitro is more middy and slices through the mix like mad. It still has a very big sound, but has a bit more high end/high mids (even though the Nitro is supposed to be more low mids than the QR, it is a hot rodded Marshall, so it's still going to have them). It's a crisper sound, more bright. The Nitro is more suited for leads, because of how much presence it will have in a mix, it also has a very good clean channel IMO (though the Recto's isn't bad by any means).

For me, I prefer the Recto because it just sound so huge on recordings and in the room, but you might prefer the Nitro
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Jul 3, 2010,
The biggest problem I've had with my Dual Rectifier is that it is the WORST amp for cutting through the mix. In band situations where I have been the sole guitarist, it sounds incredible. However, in situations where there is another guitarist, its next to impossible to be heard (other then its incredible bass response). Unfortunately, this means it sounds kinda muddy when another guitarist is playing.

It is for this reason, that I wanted to go back to a 5150. I've owned two 5150s in the past and not only do they cut through the mix well, but they are also capable of delivering an impressive "wall of sound" similar to the Dual Rectifier. I've found it to be a much more usable amp in a live situation.

That said, on a whim, I figured I would try out a Bugera 6262 (5150 clone) and have been more then impressed with it. It has everything I loved about my 5150s and even fixed a few of the issues I had with it. I definitely plan on keeping mine for a long time.

I had a chance to play a Splawn Nitro and while its a great sounding amp, it felt almost like a carbon copy of a 5150. Except that the Nitro sounded much brighter whereas the 5150 sounds much darker/meaner. There are subtle difference between the two but they are VERY similar sounding and feeling amps. In my opinion, I preferred the tone of a 5150 over it. (I found the 6262 to ride somewhere in the middle of the two, but leans MUCH closer to the 5150)

If you get a chance, check out a 5150, (the new models are called 6505+) or a Bugera 6262.
1979 Gibson Les Paul Silverburst
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
Last edited by theraven871 at Jul 3, 2010,
Quote by theraven871
The biggest problem I've had with my Dual Rectifier is that it is the WORST amp for cutting through the mix. In band situations where I have been the sole guitarist, it sounds incredible. However, in situations where there is another guitarist, its next to impossible to be heard (although then its incredible bass response). Unfortunately, this means it sounds kinda muddy when another guitarist is playing.

Really?

I never got to try mine in a band, but I have a hard time believing that it wouldn't be able to cut through a mix. Maybe it's your settings, are you boosting it? Granted, the Nitro cuts like a champ in comparison, but the Recto still had quite a bit of mids, at least how I had it set up
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
I don't normally cut my mids so it wasn't an issue there. I usually keep my mids around 4-6 on the dial.

I had the amp bias checked out and tried every suggestion I could (boosting, not-boosting, EQs in front, in the loop etc etc etc.)

Finally I found someone on Craigslist who was selling their Dual Rectifier. I called him up explaining my problem and he was actually selling his for the same reasons. We decided to get together to compare our amps to see if there was any variation between them. Of course, they were both the same.

I then decided that I needed to try a brand new one. A few months later I was in California for a business trip and got a chance to try one in the store. It sounded identical to mine. I tried talking to the sales associate about it but he was kind of an ass and looked like me like I was on the crack pipe.

Long story short, the amp DOES have problems being heard in the mix. Yes, it can be heard but it loses so much of its character & clarity that it just wasn't ideal in a 2 guitarist situation.

However, for a band with one guitarist, its sounds so good that its almost uncomparable. I almost get the impression that it was designed for bands with one guitarist to help "fill out the sound". The problem is that when you actually get another guitarist playing, it just doesn't cut right. I don't expect it to cut as well as a Marshall, but it was the WORST amp for cutting through a mix.
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
kool thanks for the input guys .... i am the only guitarist in my band so it definately cuts through well .... i thought about going with the splawn but after reading this i may stick with my 2 channel rectifier. with the kt66/kt88 powertube combo this amp is a beast at higher volume levels. i definately dont need any more mids, so it looks like i will stay with my recto

BUGERA 6262 FOR SALE !!!
I've never liked Mesa's grinding, chain saw like distortion, so I would probably go with the Splawn on this one.
that recto of yours sounds like a beast, i wouldn't get rid of it if i was you......unless you'd like to give it to me
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Quote by shredftw
that recto of yours sounds like a beast, i wouldn't get rid of it if i was you......unless you'd like to give it to me

Yeah it is pretty beastly actually. tons of low end and the high end is awesome and well defined but not brittle in the least. i definately like the way it sounds, but have always wanted a splawn and the thought crossed my mind to let this amp go to get the nitro, but after reading some of these posts and investigating further, i think i will definately be hanging onto the rectifier

BUGERA 6262 FOR SALE !!!
Quote by forsaknazrael
Nitro a carbon copy of the 5150?

wat. I don't think so.

Yeah, I didn't get that either.

Anyway, even though the Splawn has the hot-rodded Marshall tone....it has its own tone too. I could tell a Splawn from a 5150 in a blind test easily. Like MC said, if you like mids and you like to cut through like a hot knife through butter the Splawns do that very well.

Most of the people that I know that own a Splawn own more than 1

Most of the people that I know that have owned a Splawn in the past would buy one again.

I agree with Andrew on the chainsaw grind of the Recto maybe being a bit over-bearing. Although personally, I love it. Splawn will be smoother. Think KSE.

Plus, the Splawns are just made so well. Pure quality.
splawns are nice.
it seemed like you had a lot of money saved up for the mods and such though.
just slo yourself.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror
splawns are nice.
just slo yourself.

yeah i do ... actually retubing this thing made it a completely different animal, so maybe the old tubes were on the way out i dunno. i was going to hold off on modding the amp for a little while anyways and enjoy it like it is, but then another deal came up and me being a sucker for deals wanted to at least get some opinions on it. now that i have had time to actually think, i am more than sure i will keep the recto, and just get something else later ...

BUGERA 6262 FOR SALE !!!
also the only carbon copy of a 5150 i can think of is a bugera 6260

BUGERA 6262 FOR SALE !!!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Yeah, I didn't get that either.

Anyway, even though the Splawn has the hot-rodded Marshall tone....it has its own tone too. I could tell a Splawn from a 5150 in a blind test easily. Like MC said, if you like mids and you like to cut through like a hot knife through butter the Splawns do that very well.

Most of the people that I know that own a Splawn own more than 1

Most of the people that I know that have owned a Splawn in the past would buy one again.

I agree with Andrew on the chainsaw grind of the Recto maybe being a bit over-bearing. Although personally, I love it. Splawn will be smoother. Think KSE.

Plus, the Splawns are just made so well. Pure quality.

Just a note, Andy Sneap has said on his own forum that Killswitch wanted to use SLO 100s but when they heard the mixes they prefered the Dual Rec so they reamped it to that. They use them live yes but in the studio at least on their last record they used DRs. Nitros sound really nice from what I hear but I assume it would be much closer to the sound of a 6534.
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212

Quote by AcousticMirror
splawns are nice.
just slo yourself.

There is something about the SLO that I just don't dig fully but I can't put my finger on it.
Quote by PerpetualBurn
Just a note, Andy Sneap has said on his own forum that Killswitch wanted to use SLO 100s but when they heard the mixes they prefered the Dual Rec so they reamped it to that. They use them live yes but in the studio at least on their last record they used DRs. Nitros sound really nice from what I hear but I assume it would be much closer to the sound of a 6534.

On the last album? Hmmm.

Haven't had a chance to play the 6534 yet but dying to try. You mean a Nitro with EL34s?
^
311 I feel the same way but when people mix them they sound great. Live though, i don't know.

6534 = 6505 + El34s
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Last edited by kylendm at Jul 3, 2010,
Quote by kylendm
^
311 I feel the same way but when people mix them they sound great. Live though, i don't know.

6534 = 6505 + El34s

I know

And I thought I read in GuitarWorld that on the last album they used a Nitro for all the overdriven tones. Oh well, if Andy said it on his own forum then it must be true. They are def using them live. They (forget who) also have a Mesa Roadking or Roadster as well. I think. Hold please...

oh well, i don't know what the hell that is on the bottom
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jul 3, 2010,
Quote by al112987
I've never liked Mesa's grinding, chain saw like distortion, so I would probably go with the Splawn on this one.

Really?

Maybe we have different definitions of "chain saw like distortion," but to me, Mesas sound nothing like that. If anything, the Splawn is more like a chainsaw to me?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

There is something about the SLO that I just don't dig fully but I can't put my finger on it.

dig this!!!!!!!

it's not for everyone.

Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I know

And I thought I read in GuitarWorld that on the last album they used a Nitro for all the overdriven tones. Oh well, if Andy said it on his own forum then it must be true. They are def using them live. They (forget who) also have a Mesa Roadking or Roadster as well. I think. Hold please...

oh well, i don't know what the hell that is on the bottom

Either the old Fuchs Viper

or the Newer version of the Viper called the Frost.

The newest version of the Viper/Frost is called The Mantis I think. It was talked about at NAMM

Edit:
Knew it and man does it sound great! http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=5687700&cache=3&q=hi&shuffle=false
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Last edited by kylendm at Jul 3, 2010,
Quote by AcousticMirror
dig this!!!!!!!

it's not for everyone.

if i ever get the chance to afford one i assure you that the SLO will be for me.

i know i could have put my money from my recto and then my saved money towards one, but i would rather mod this one and get that later.

SLO's are awesome though ...

BUGERA 6262 FOR SALE !!!
I know the dual is supposed to sound better than the single, but I've got a single rec and a nitro and it's nitro all the way. Never played a dual so can't comment on that.

I do have a 6505 on the way that I am anxious to try.
Guitars
Amps
I should correct myself before I look like an idiot.

The Nitro doesn't sound like a carbon copy of a 5150. I was referring to the fact that they both can cut through a mix well. That was the comparison I was trying to make.

In reading my post, I can see that what I was thinking, and what I typed, were two completely separate things. Sorry for the mis-information and I hope I didn't mislead anyone. I was up late after working a 20 hour shift and wasn't in my right frame of mind.
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
Last edited by theraven871 at Jul 3, 2010,