I've been playing for about 5 years, but am now just learning the theory part of it. I've memorized the fret board by memorizing the location of C, then B, then A, and so on. I was told to do it that way instead of starting with the E string and memorizing the notes in order, which I've tried before which ended in frustration. So I got the Fret Board memorized and now looking to move on to the major scales, which I'm guessing is the next step. So I was wondering if anyone had a good method for memorizing scales or any hints or tips for it or if its just a matter of playing them a million times til they're memorized.

Thx
Quote by M' BALZ ES-HARI
I've been playing for about 5 years, but am now just learning the theory part of it. I've memorized the fret board by memorizing the location of C, then B, then A, and so on. I was told to do it that way instead of starting with the E string and memorizing the notes in order, which I've tried before which ended in frustration. So I got the Fret Board memorized and now looking to move on to the major scales, which I'm guessing is the next step. So I was wondering if anyone had a good method for memorizing scales or any hints or tips for it or if its just a matter of playing them a million times til they're memorized.

Thx

The way I learned my scales was by reading key signatures off a staff, and then learning what key the song was in...knowing the order of sharps and flats helped me too.
SHARPS: FCGDAEB
FLATS: BEADGCF

For sharps you can go up one note from the last sharp...so for example you only have one sharp (F#) you just go up a note and the key is G major. For flats it's always the next to last flat , so you have 2 flats (b and e flat) the key is Bb major.
From there I just kinda know the notes, by basing it off C major (A, B, C, D, etc...)
So in G major you have 1 sharp (f), the notes are G, A, B, C, D, E, F#

Hope that made some sense...also if that didn't help check this site out
http://www.musictheory.net/
Last edited by justaramsfan at Jul 3, 2010,
If you know the fretboard, which it sounds like you do, scales should come much easier. '

Have you ever heard of the circle of fifths? basically what it does is tell you what sharps and flats are in what key, as well as some other information. I would spend time learning the Circle of Fifths, so you know all of the notes in each scale, and once you know what notes are in each scale, and where those notes are on the fretboard, you just put two and two together, and find out how to play the scale. So I'd say learning the Circle of Fifths would be pretty important.

Also, while you are playing different scales, look out for shapes on the fretboards, that you can use to help you play different scales easier, but don't focus on this quite as much as the theory, or you could get stuck.

Quote by justaramsfan
Hope that made some sense...also if that didn't help check this site out
http://www.musictheory.net/

This site is also very good for learning the theory behind it all, I would definetly start learning this stuff if I were you...

EDIT: heres a good lesson I found on the circle of fifths, http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/scales/the_circle_of_fifths_explained.html
Quote by leg end

"Roses are red,
Violets are bitchin'
Goddammit woman,
get back in the kitchen"
Last edited by sites.nick at Jul 3, 2010,