Ok this question has probably been asked before but When do you know that your tubes have died? I'm considering getting a Peavey 6505 and I'm doing research on tubes and I was just wondering when do they usually die. And also when does the fuse die? And are they both regular things? Like should I buy spare fuses and tubes?
Thanks!
-------------------------------------------------
facebook.com/thesedrowningtides
youtube.com/thesedrowningtides
You should ALWAYS have spare fuses on hand.

Really sucks to have to stop a show over a $1 part.

Tubes are an odd thing. I've had some that lasted me 3 years and some that lasted a year.

Naturally, higher brands seem to last longer. Also, how your amp is biased will determine how hard your tubes are being worked. The higher your bias, the less life they will have. But the rule of thumb is not to bias them too low (otherwise you'll have crossover distortion).

There is NO way to tell how long your tubes will last. Its like guessing how long a lightbulb will last. Although, typically you SHOULD get at least a year out of them. If you are getting less then that, then you probably either have your bias set to high or your subjecting the amp to too much abuse.

Amp cases can save you money in the long run.

Also, typically, tubes will "wear out" long before they will ever blow (and some tubes just don't EVER seem to blow out). Its very hard to tell when your tubes need changing as they only lose their tone subtly over a long period of time. Its very similar to the strings on your guitar going dead, but over a longer period of time.
1979 Gibson Les Paul Silverburst
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
Quote by danimalhxc
Ok this question has probably been asked before but When do you know that your tubes have died? I'm considering getting a Peavey 6505 and I'm doing research on tubes and I was just wondering when do they usually die. And also when does the fuse die? And are they both regular things? Like should I buy spare fuses and tubes?
Thanks!

i know people that havent refuse amps in 15 years, i know alot of people that blow fuses.... but thats just me. i have never blown a tube, and ive blown one fuse on my 2004 marshall dsl 401
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Aight thanks! I just have one question: what does biased mean? I read about it but didn't understand it.
facebook.com/thesedrowningtides
youtube.com/thesedrowningtides
Quote by danimalhxc
Aight thanks! I just have one question: what does biased mean? I read about it but didn't understand it.

Basically, a poor definition is that "Bias" is the amount of voltage that is being run through your tubes. Higher bias means that there is more voltage being run through them (IE they are then being worked HARDER). Less bias, of course, means less voltage.

Most amps have an adjustable bias (the good ones anyways )

The bias adjust is usually a small knob or dial that you can turn. Turning it one way adds voltage, turning it the other, reduces voltage.

Some amps have this bias adjust knob locating INSIDE the amp. While others (very few) have the dial located outside on the chasis (this is why Bugera amps rock).
1979 Gibson Les Paul Silverburst
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
I see. Alright thanks man!