I would have posted in the riffs and recording thread but there was hardly anything on writing bass and Id rather have another fellow bassist answer my question.

Im trying to write bass over guitar and really stuggle and usually end up just mimicing the guitar and maybe adding in a few notes that are an octave higher.

Song in drop D.

this is an example of a part of one of our songs

E------------------------------
B-------------------------------
G-7-7--------------------------
D-7-7-6-6-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5
A-5-5-6-6-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5
D------6-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5
Q Q E Q Q E Q QQ Q Q Q

Q-quater note
S-sixteenth note

Could someone point in in the right direction for something I could play over this.

Through the rest of the song we play the notes: D F G Gsharp

thanks in advance
lp345: It's a virus
rage6945: i went on a little bit torrent spree and got Jay-z's black album
nebno6:Maybe it's god punishing you for having a bad music taste.
nowa90:UGNED!!
Have you tried randomly jamming=improvising to the track? That's how I come up with new songs, riffs, passages, and everything else
i find that when i listen to standard metal styles(powerchords, big chunky and/or fast riffs, etc.) it gets a little annoying if the bass tries too hard to not follow the guitars. i try to make the bass have its own voice only when the guitars give it space to do so.

*i'm not a bassist btw, just giving my opinion as a metalhead
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Last edited by vIsIbleNoIsE at Jul 3, 2010,
thanks guys, ive given it a try just improvising and it does help
lp345: It's a virus
rage6945: i went on a little bit torrent spree and got Jay-z's black album
nebno6:Maybe it's god punishing you for having a bad music taste.
nowa90:UGNED!!
Have you tried playing arpeggios?
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
its ok to follow the guitars, especially for heavier stuff. But if you want you cant add fills and runs between chord changes to add spice to the bass lines. Do that based on the key the songs in and what chords you're working with.
no sig for joo
There is literally nothing anyone can do but write the part for you. Use your creativity and trial and error until you find something that fits and you're pleased with. Over time you start to get more of an idea what floats your boat and what fits the song quicker.
Strangers Dance
Side-By-Side
To Feel
Something Close
To Love
But I Don't
Feel Warm Tonight.