im new to Arpeggios so i asked my guitar what they were, he told me the simple definition, notes of a chord played individually, he just formed a chord and played the notes individually, but when i Googled it i saw videos of people playing all over the guitar without forming any chords and calling it an Arpeggio. im confused, any1 now any website that explains it well? and how would i practice them?
whoa whoa, hold up. your guitar talks to you?
ESP f-400FM with EMG Actives
Ibanez GIO
Epiphone V with Seymour Duncan Invader
Epiphone Explorer with Dragonfire Actives

Line 6 Spider 3 120 watt with Line 6 Pod and Digitech Whammy Pedal
LOL, what guitar is that?

He's right, they are formed off of the individual notes of a chord. Normally they are run in order, but you can use the notes in any order over the entire board.
Quote by twitchyAMC
whoa whoa, hold up. your guitar talks to you?

Dunno about that guy, but if you ask me, YES. Her name's Katara.
Sweep Picking (which is probably what you saw in Youtube) is considered an arpeggiating technique because when you sweep pick you're taking the notes of a chord and playing individually very fast (or slow if that's your thing).

E-----------0--
B---------0----
G-------0------
D-----2--------
A---2----------
E-0------------

This is an arpeggio. If you move it up 12 frets, it has the potential to become a sweep.

EDIT: The only reason I said 12 frets is because I wanted it to be the same chord... you could move it up one and it could still be a sweep/arpeggio. It's just be a different chord.
Last edited by DiminishedFifth at Jul 3, 2010,
An arpeggio is played by playing the notes of a chord separately. You can play those notes anywhere on the neck in any order.

Think of it as a "scale", but with only the chord tones used.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
so i need to know chord construction to use this ? is chord construction something helpfull to learn
Quote by brenton393
so i need to know chord construction to use this ? is chord construction something helpfull to learn

Well, arpeggios are chords, so chord construction would come in handy...

Learning chord construction is an important thing to learn theory wise, so yes, I recommend you learn it.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by brenton393

Yes definitely, your guitar should have told you that.
Also read the stickies and learn how to harmonize the major scale, learn your triads and sevenths then arpeggios should be pretty straight forward.
lol guitar
The vast majority of arpeggiators out there (including Live's) are based on some standard and limited sets of steps that define a predefined set of arpeggios (e.g Up, Down, etc.) while at best some work like a step sequencer to define a pattern.

Mountain Buggy Double Strollers