I'm looking to buy a Les Paul within the next month hopefully. It's gunna be one of those guitars I wanna keep all my life as I'm gunna be spending a fair bit. I think I'm gunna have a budget of around £1700. I'm not sure whether to get a Standard or Traditional. What are the differences?
The Traditional is only weight-relieved, and not chambered like the Standard. The Standard has an asymmetric neck-profile that's supposed to be more more comfortable as it follows the curve of you hand. The Traditional has '57 Classics-pickup while the Standard has Burstbuckers.

The Traditional is a more Traditional Les Paul, as the name hints.

I prefer the Traditional over the Standard any day of the week. I don't like the strange neck-profile, or the chambered body. If I would want a Les Paul, why buy one that only resembles one, but is a totally different guitar when it gets down to it?

You absolutely have to try the exact guitar you buy. These guitars, like all Gibson's, varies very much from guitar to guitar, and Gibson's quality control is, as I've experienced first hand, not something to trust.

Good luck!
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
custom shop is where i'd be looking with that amount of cash. You're about £500 off the custom shop, which isn't that much when you're already spending £1700.

For the sake of full disclosure, I haven't actually tried any custom shop Gibbies, but I know that most gibson fans say that the CS stuff is a cut above, and certainly the specs are a lot closer to historically accurate (if still not 100% historically accurate).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
IMO the Traditional is a much better deal. It's basically the old Standard. Depending on your needs the Standard might be better, but I don't think the differences justify the $500 price difference.
Quote by Dave_Mc
custom shop is where i'd be looking with that amount of cash. You're about £500 off the custom shop, which isn't that much when you're already spending £1700.
Custom Shops run £3500+. I dunno what crazy place you go to which sells Custom Shop guitars for less than that, but I have certainly never heard of it.

OP, there is one and only one way to pick out the Gibson for you: go to many, many shops and play every single model you can. Ignore what the name on the price tag says, ignore what the spec sheets say. Each Gibson - even the regular production ones - varies a lot so you can't just trust to what is written down, you need to actually sit down with the guitar and give it a thorough test. As far as I'm concerned when you're spending over a grand there is no reason to accept any kind of faults, so check everything. When you find the guitar that fits your hand properly, that feels like a decent weight for you, that gives you the tone you want and that doesn't have any construction flaws, that is the guitar you buy. Doesn't matter if the price tag says "Studio, £800" on it or "R8 £3800" on it; when you're buying a guitar to last you for life there is no reason whatsoever to accept second-best. It might take a while to find the one that is right for you but it's worth the wait in the end. Don't compromise on anything, don't buy a guitar just because someone told you that you should get any given model, don't buy a guitar because of what it does or doesn't have listed in its spec sheet. You're spending a lot of money on a guitar that should hopefully out-live you yourself, so get out there, find the guitar that is perfect for you and when you do find that guitar, buy it, that exact one.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
get a used r8 or r0. no way a traditional or any gibson usa is gonna list you the rest of your life. you'll be wanting more. don't stop until there's no where else to go.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
dv247 was selling plain top cs reissues for £2200 last time I looked. Of course, the website is down at this exact moment (go figure), but I checked it like a week ago (if not less) for another thread. EDIT: ah it's working again: http://www.dv247.com/guitars/gibson-1958-les-paul-standard-vintage-original-spec-washed-cherry--57883

I agree wholeheartedly with trying every one you can, and not accepting flaws.

and, at the risk of giving min even more GAS, surely once you have a historic you could go up to actual vintage gibsons?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 4, 2010,
ya but you'd need to save for a long time. r9s are like 3000-400 a 1959 is like 100000-300000 so that's lot of savin time. as opposed to a trad pro new for 2k or used for 1k and a r8 used for 2k and new for 4k.
I just did the currency conversion and you're getting screwed on the Traditional or Standard! A Trad here now is $2299 CAD and the price on Dave_Mcs link for a Trad @ £1799 works out to $2907 CAD. But the VOS is bang on $3500 CAD (Converted) so if you can stretch to it you're getting a better deal. Just be aware the VOS series are not glossy, the finish doesn't get the buffing & the hardware has some aging gunk on it. It's about 300 - 400 more for the gloss.
Moving on.....
i like the aged hardware. eh. dunno it's the same guitar you can gloss it up yourself. if the wood was better I'd save but it's merely cosmetic.
I've heard that the gunk applied to the HW can be removed and it should be possible to buff up the finish as well.
I'm just making sure the TS doesn't get any surprises.

I'm not a fan of pre-aged or relic'ed guitars. I'll age them myself over time.
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Jul 4, 2010,
Quote by AcousticMirror
ya but you'd need to save for a long time. r9s are like 3000-400 a 1959 is like 100000-300000 so that's lot of savin time. as opposed to a trad pro new for 2k or used for 1k and a r8 used for 2k and new for 4k.

i wasn't saying he should go new, I just figured he was going new on the traditional, so he would also be going new on the r8.

Also, used USA prices bear no relation to used prices here. Stuff is dearer here (the US-made stuff, anyway), and therefore rarer, and both of those things push up the used prices (though of course you can always get lucky).

EDIT: woops i totally misunderstood you there. i was only joking about a genuine 1959 burst, lol, i know they're like $300k

EDIT #2: good call on checking the prices in canada, KenG, I didn't think to do that. that's true that the r8 is a better deal- i have no idea about the finishes, but I'm sure you're right, and thanks for pointing it out.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 4, 2010,