so i've been playing guitar with my yamaha pacifica and vypyr 15 for almost three years now and just recently formed a band. so if we're gonna start playing shows i really want to get some better gear. i absolutly love the "rectifier" setting on my peavey and really want a mesa-boogie type of tone, without spending a couple grand. what i was thinking was a fender frontman 65 along with a rocktron zombie rectified distortion pedal...what do you think?

P.S. i do know that it is impossible to fully create a true mesa-boogie tone without spending loads of cash
if your looking into a bigger amp thats not meant for the bedroom stay away from the frontmans.. you can get so much better in a fender, or any other company for that matter. im sure someone can elaborate on this for me

^and like he said, whats your total budget.
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.
Quote by forsaknazrael
What's your total budget?

This. Your idea would sound awful. The Frontman is a terrible amp unless you're playing clean stuff quietly. The Rocktron pedal is just a fizzy mess.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
see thats the tough part, i dont want i modeling amp. all i want is a simple two channel amp that has good recto distortion. decent cleans and is loud enough for for small-medium gigs. is this being to picky?
tube or solid state? im hoping tube.. but you never know with people these days :P,

also what kind of music are you playing? Rock, Metal, Blues, Country, what? i understand you like the recto setting but music styles still help a ton.
Gear
Schecter Hellraiser
Custom Built Les Paul
Ibanez Rg5ex1
line 6 DI-silver
Bugera 6260
line 6 spider ii

To Set The Ocean On fire

Quote by classicrocker01
You know you're addicted to gear when you've had more guitars than girlfriends
Last edited by Holysorrow at Jul 3, 2010,
tbh in my three years of playing i have never played through a tube amp so i'm not sure. I play alot of stuff like greenday (dookie), blink 182 (dude ranch) and the heavier weezer stuff.
Quote by SmartyJones
see thats the tough part, i dont want i modeling amp. all i want is a simple two channel amp that has good recto distortion. decent cleans and is loud enough for for small-medium gigs. is this being to picky?

You're absolutely not going to get Recto-type distortion from a sub-$500 amp.

You CAN get good distortion, but it's not going to sound like a Recto...

Vypyr Tube 60 (opens up alot at higher volumes; sounds pretty different from the SS Vypyrs)

Ampeg VH140c or SS140c

Peavey XXX or Ultra Plus

Crate GX130c or GT3500H

Are some of the best amps you can get for less than $500.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I'd say get a used Peavey 6505 112.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Last edited by MortifiedLizard at Jul 3, 2010,
you do not need the distortion levels of a recto for dookie or dude ranch or weezer.
heavier weezer....
i lol'd.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
i know how those bands play their music, but that's not how i play their music. by heavier weezer i mean songs like beverly hills and pork and beans.
i know but still you don't particularly need a dual rec. and you shouldn't try to recreate that sound with a frontman and a pedal. there have got to be better options. If you're willing to stretch your budget a little, rectoverbs often times pop up for around 600-700 hundred or you could grab a mark ii or mark iii. a jcm900 is right around that price point. a jcm800 is under 1k.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam