I'm not sure if inanimate object is the right word, maybe machine would be better. And also i'm not trying to put down anyones god or anything, i just had an interesting thought today and wanted to tell some folk.

If god is perfect, he can only ever make the right choice, he can only ever do whatever it is that he does.

Let me give you an example.
A great guitarist is worthy of your love and admiration, because it had to work for it. It made choices and sacrifices. It showed dedication and the balls to stick at it. However, computers are completely capable of outclassing our hypothetical guitarist. they can play faster and they never make any mistakes ever. It, though, isn't worthy of any of your respect or love because it's only doing what it does.

God is the machine in our analogy..

So you can't really love or hate god...

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
I get quite animated at times.
Religion thread dude.
This will get closed.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
I know this should be in the religion thread, but i don't really wanna talk about religion...Shits boring.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
Thats an interesting analogy you have there, but computers only do what humans tell them to do, so really the computer isn't out playing the guitarist.
Main Gear:

ESP Eclipse CTM I
Dean 'Shards' Razorback
Chapman Guitars ML-1
Ibanez AEL40SE Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Stack
EHX Metal Muff
EHX Small Clone
Quote by Birchall17
Thats an interesting analogy you have there, but computers only do what humans tell them to do, so really the computer isn't out playing the guitarist.

God only behaves like we want him to as well.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Jiggzy.UK
I know this should be in the religion thread, but i don't really wanna talk about religion...Shits boring.

God=religion
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
Not really that great an analogy... Computers are not sentient. They don't make choices. They are given instructions, and they execute those instructions. If there's anything wrong with the instructions, or there's some sort of conflict (being a comp. sci. student myself, I know very well how much shit can go wrong from seemingly innocent little things), then all kinds of crap is gonna fail, so computers are hardly perfect, unless you assign blame for any mistake to the users/programmers, and say the computer is doing what it's supposed to do perfectly. Even then, your analogy only works if God is just following a set of instructions, but then where are they coming from? God isn't really god if he's getting instructions from somewhere and not actually making any choices.
Quote by RockGuitar92
God=religion

thats a broad statement

,--.-'-,--.
\ /-~-\ /
/ )' a a `( \
( ( ,---. ) )
THIS WAS MEANT TO BE A PIG
\ `(_o_o_)' /
\ `-' /
| |---| |
[_] [_]
Quote by dark&broken
Not really that great an analogy... Computers are not sentient. They don't make choices. They are given instructions, and they execute those instructions. If there's anything wrong with the instructions, or there's some sort of conflict (being a comp. sci. student myself, I know very well how much shit can go wrong from seemingly innocent little things), then all kinds of crap is gonna fail, so computers are hardly perfect, unless you assign blame for any mistake to the users/programmers, and say the computer is doing what it's supposed to do perfectly. Even then, your analogy only works if God is just following a set of instructions, but then where are they coming from? God isn't really god if he's getting instructions from somewhere and not actually making any choices.

In the not to distant future computers will program themselves.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by RockGuitar92
God=religion

There are plenty of people who believe in a god but not a specific religion, so no.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
There are plenty of people who believe in a god but not a specific religion, so no.

And have a religion with no God.

**** YEAH! CONSIDER YOUR FALLACY SPIT ROASTED!

On topic, it's much more likely than a conscious God imo.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Quote by dark&broken

I know what you're getting at, but it's the best analogy available that i can think of.

I'm trying to say that G-D can't be worthy of respect and admiration in the same way a person can be, but only in the way you can love an respect a computer program(or its functionality.)

You'll have to just take the programmer out of the equation for the sake of the topic.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Something has to exist for it to be inanimate.
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
God has a beard and fights crime on mondays for tay zonday.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all