Hey, I'm fairly new and I need a little help. Since I started playing guitar I've only played blues and pentatonic based stuff. I wanted to know how to get more of a pop/light-rock sound, especially out of an acoustic guitar. I've tried playing in an Ionian mode for lead stuff, but I have a tendency to do a lot of string bending which always makes it sound more bluesy. I also don't know what kind of chord progressions to use when improvising rhythm stuff. I am trying not to play as many 7th chords, but I still fall back on the I-IV-V progression.

I just want to add,I'm not looking for tabs, just advice for writing my own stuff. Also when I say pop/light-rock i mainly mean The Beatles (songs like Yesterday, Across the Universe and Dear Prudence etc.) Coldplay (the guitar songs like Yellow) and a few Oasis songs (Wonderwall and Cast No Shadow).

So basically my questions are
Are techniques like bends and slides avoided when playing in major scales?
What types of chords have a more light rock feel to it?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you very much for any advice.
it is not a case of which techniques and scales/chords give or dont give the sound you are after, it is all how you use them ie. phrasing, note choice etc.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Well, first of all, if you want a lighter sound, be sure to take it easy on the power chords, they are called power chords for a reason, they sound powerful. Just mess around with different chord progressions, see what you like, experiment and find what works together, there is no better musician than the one who gains his own style by figuring it out himself. And dont be afraid to use slides, slides sound nice on an acoustic, whether or not to use bends really depends on the song. Just experiment and see what sounds good.
That stuff all makes sense. Most of what I'm playing on an acoustic guitar sounds very plain. I will make sure to avoid excessive power chords but re there any specific types of chords that give a more light-rock sound? I know 7th chords are Blues chords and jazz uses a lot of extended chords but I'm not really sure of any light rock ones.

Thank You for everything so far.
Well, I am self taught, Ive never taken a guitar lesson, so I know guitar by sound and not 7th chords and all of the musical terminology, as I said, just experiment, find what you like, its what makes you unique, using chords others do not usually use, of course factor in style and experience, but I cannot stress enough, experiment, experiment, experiment.
Quote by slayerfrk
you wanna learn pop?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vub3c4II878&feature=related

no need for thanking me.

Thats just mean!!!

Anyways, you can make any scale you want sound right as long as you sustain the notes you need and bypass ones that dont sound right..

It all comes down to a matter of taste - Everyones is different, there are alot of light rock songs I like and alot I dont, not because they are so incredibly different but because I hear them differently, as it will be with every musician.
Quote by Silvanarix
Thats just mean!!!

Anyways, you can make any scale you want sound right as long as you sustain the notes you need and bypass ones that dont sound right..

It all comes down to a matter of taste - Everyones is different, there are alot of light rock songs I like and alot I dont, not because they are so incredibly different but because I hear them differently, as it will be with every musician.

Yes yes yes, music is about what you like (of course making it so others like it too is always a bonus) whats the point of making music if you dont like it?

EDIT: That video was terribly mean, learning something from those lessons is a shame.
Last edited by baconxx13 at Jul 4, 2010,
Quote by baconxx13
Yes yes yes, music is about what you like (of course making it so others like it too is always a bonus) whats the point of making music if you dont like it?

EDIT: That video was terribly mean, learning something from those lessons is a shame.

I learned that That Jonas kid is definitely fail at guitar.. and probably gay
1) don't even get into modes. if you're debating which chords give you a pop sound, i highly doubt that you are playing the ionian mode, but instead the major scale. there is a difference. one is tonal, one is modal (etc.). basically what i'm saying is that you're not ready for modes - don't even think about them.

2) which chords you use does not matter. how you use them does.

3) rules for writing in any genre: 1) listen to songs in a particular genre; 2) analyze said songs; 3) understand said songs; 4) compose.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
You're not thinking things through, lets look at the very example you gave...
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/b/beatles/yesterday_ver5_tab.htm
the Beatles were very influenced by blues, and you can see it here. They use plenty of 7th chords, what makes it different is how they play. Also, although 7th chords may have a bluesy sound they can be used with major and minor chord to make a good progression. For an acoustic (and this is strictly my opinion) a good song can be made simply by either strum pattern alone, chord embellishments, or bass note to chord. I say this because 1) Yesterday, taken the same chords will never sound like yesterday if you change the strum pattern. Chord embellishments and playing a bass note then going to a chord, and techniques of this nature, they can really help color a chord and make it more interesting to the ear. You can even play the same chord for 4 bars and make it sound nice with just some hammer on, pull off types of embellishing.