im between one of these heads and im wondering about each of their versatility.

which one is more versatile?

i play stuff from stevie ray,satch, racer x, vai, slipknot, the police, linkin park, judas preist, lamb of god, sabbath, slayer, megadeth, metallica, zeppelin, hendrix, nugent pretty much anything.

and it will be playing through two mesa standard 4x12 cabs

or if there is any other amps you may suggest for me im all ears. thank you
In short, the JSX is more versatile. The Legacy sounds better for the tones it is capable of, at least in my opinion, but you'll be better able to play most all of that other stuff that you listed with the JSX.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
The JSX should be able to cover the tones fine if you consider:

1. To get a thick tone you will want 6l6 tubes as opposed to the stock el34's
2. It is a modern sounding amp
3. The tone is relatively smooth

Just test it before you buy it. While I love mine, I wish I had gone for something that had more punch, grit and a less modern sound. So I a m now saving for a jcm800 .
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
I think the JSX is a bit more versatile, as it has more possible distorted sounds, and I find the tone to be a bit deeper.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
I was in a similar situation. The JSX is the most versatile and just sounds great. Doesn't really have a bad channel at all, and basically comes loaded with different tones. The Legacy has the best clean channel imo, has much smoother gain in the lead channel, and is overall suited for leads over rhythm. People say the Legacy doesn't have enough gain, but that is a myth. It's really just a different type of gain, hard to explain. It's voiced with a lot of low mids a la Bogner Ecstasy, but a bit darker. With a boost, it could definitely do metal. By now, you can probably tell that I chose the Legacy. You really have to test both amps out. They are both great, and people usually fall in love with one or the other.

EDIT: I played a V3, and it sounded like a swarm of bees. I heard that a speaker change would help, but I don't know.
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Last edited by bingeandletgo at Jul 3, 2010,
V3 owner reporting!

The master having the master bright control, as well as the presence and treble can make it very easy to get a swarm of bees sound.

I keep the bright at 0 presence at about 11oclock and treble at about 1oclock. I dont know about the stock speakers but with V30s it sounds great.

Edit: I also use 6l6s as opposed to the El34s
Last edited by Chaosinborn at Jul 3, 2010,
I set the V3 pretty loud. It was on about 3, which is louder than you think. Beyond bedroom levels definitely. I think Chaosinborn is right about the presence control. Most presence controls on an amp are abused. I tweaked it a little, but it has so many damn knobs. I'm sure you can find much smoother tones out of it if you take some time to tweak. And in its defense it sounds a million times better in person. The absolute antithesis of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfvOGvxx_fE

But all in all, in my experience, it just seemed too harsh for me.
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Quote by sacamano79
The JSX should be able to cover the tones fine if you consider:

1. To get a thick tone you will want 6l6 tubes as opposed to the stock el34's
2. It is a modern sounding amp
3. The tone is relatively smooth

Just test it before you buy it. While I love mine, I wish I had gone for something that had more punch, grit and a less modern sound. So I a m now saving for a jcm800 .

I agree with this post minus the tube swap.