8 straight (regular) 8th notes in a 4/4 bar equals 12 8th note triplets.
If that's what you were asking. Little confused.
I play guitar in a ska band.
Modded MIM Strat > Fender Tuner > Bugera V55HD > Custom built 2x12
Because tempo changes are a pain in the ass. I'm sure it should be possible to notate without the change, for example if i still wanted the drums to be playing in straight 4/4 with these triplets over the top, a tempo change wouldn't work. I'd also just like to know out of curiosity, this one has stumped me! But thanks very much for the suggestion.
Quote by Rhys Jackson
Because tempo changes are a pain in the ass. I'm sure it should be possible to notate without the change, for example if i still wanted the drums to be playing in straight 4/4 with these triplets over the top, a tempo change wouldn't work. I'd also just like to know out of curiosity, this one has stumped me! But thanks very much for the suggestion.

I would probably say 8/3 would be the time signature. No, GP doesn't notate that.

If you're at 120, then your triplet tempo is 180.

EDIT: Then just make it fill a bar. You're overcomplicating it by making everything it's own bar.
Last edited by DiminishedFifth at Jul 3, 2010,
Quote by Rhys Jackson
Hi, i've got a song with a bar of 4/4 8th notes. I want make these triplets though, what time signature does this then become?

i.e. 8 x triplet 8th notes = ???
How should this be notated?

I'm not quite sure what you mean either...when you say you want to "make them triplets", do you mean that you want to replace every set of 2 eighth notes with 3 eighth note triplets? Or do you want to have the same number of notes, and only change the duration of the notes so they are eighth note triplets?

If you wanted to change the duration of the notes so that they are as fast as eighth notes triplets, but still only keep those 8 notes every bar with no rests, then I would do what Diminished Fifth suggested--keep the song in 4/4 and just speed the tempo up.

EDIT: Sorry, just saw your latest post, and I understand now. Personally I don't see any need to notate a different time signature entirely, just make those notes have the duration of eighth note triplets. They won't repeat evenly but that's OK, it will just be a polyrhthym, you don't necessarily have to change the time signature of the guitar.
Yamaha FG295S
LR Baggs A1 pickup
Last edited by stasz at Jul 3, 2010,
Thanks a lot for your help, think i understand this better now. I've gone with letting the bars overun creating polyrhythm and everything seems to work fine. But after a bit of reading i think diminished 5th is right in saying that it'd be in 8/3 or something similarly horrible if each bar were to not overun. Tempo change also seems to be a good and simple fix but isn't really suitable for me in this situation.
Again, thank you all for your help!
Quote by Rhys Jackson
Thanks a lot for your help, think i understand this better now. I've gone with letting the bars overun creating polyrhythm and everything seems to work fine. But after a bit of reading i think diminished 5th is right in saying that it'd be in 8/3 or something similarly horrible if each bar were to not overun. Tempo change also seems to be a good and simple fix but isn't really suitable for me in this situation.
Again, thank you all for your help!

8/3 isn't possible...you can't notate 3rd notes?
Quote by justaramsfan
8/3 isn't possible...you can't notate 3rd notes?

It's an irrational time signature.

Basically what 8/3 means is that there are 8 notes that are a 3rd of the current beat.