So the other day I happened to be talking to Paul about his gear that he was using for the gig. He said that the live sound is entirely controlled by computer. Hence expression pedals and foot switches to switch between effects.

what I want to know is what programs would allow me to do this? and how would I go about connecting my guitar to my pc? I know I can do it via cables and I can record now and stuff. But what is the professional way of going about it?

tl:dr is how do i get connect guitar to pc and footswitch's to control presets. and what program?
Quote by sg255
This fine fellow speaks the truth.

Quote by GD_GC
dude sonic music??? you're my hero!

Quote by tanglewoodguit
Love you

Quote by Jackolas
You need to look in to MIDI controlling my friend. I'm not sure on how it works, but if you research it something should enlighten you.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Amplitube, Guitar Rig, and TH1 are three programs I can think of for virtual amps and stuff. You'd need an interface to connect your guitar to the computer, and then your computer would have to have some sort of MIDI interface to use footswitches.
you'll want a laptop with a decent sound card, must be a laptop cause carting a desktop round is rediculas, then plug your guitar into your foot switch via jack, then from the footswitch to your laptop via midi, then out of the laptop into your amp/cabs via jack

thats preatty much the most simple way to do it

good programs are guitar rig or amplitube and i think if you buy a disk version of this you are provided with a preatty decent footswitch/pedal and both are very good for amp/effect simulation!
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Is that what the Mac by Blake's drumkit is for?

Then again, that was on the Colours DVD and they had pretty extensive pedalboards on that.

The Mac was for triggering the samples in Informal Gluttony's intro/outro.

Also, TS you might want to look at a Line 6 Floor Pod or TC Electronic's G System.
Most likely he meant its all controlled by MIDI, so he can have all the different sounds he uses programmed into presets on a MIDI controller, and switch between everything with it.
Quote by littlephil
Most likely he meant its all controlled by MIDI, so he can have all the different sounds he uses programmed into presets on a MIDI controller, and switch between everything with it.

This. I don't follow BTBAM closely but from what I remember they use a real rig, which I assume is controlled by MIDI like most large touring acts' rigs, not computers. And if they have switched to digital equipment, it's probably the Axe Fx, still controlled by MIDI.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
you are one lucky son of a bitch. u got to talk to god in person

but ya, probably guitar rig is ur best bet
Quote by BobDetroit
It's all about the abalone. You can't play metal without it. Mother of pearl? MOTO? GTFO!
Quote by primusclaypool1
you are one lucky son of a bitch. u got to talk to god in person

but ya, probably guitar rig is ur best bet

Thats all relative, a god to some might be an ant to others, like myself.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Quote by edge11
Thats all relative, a god to some might be an ant to others, like myself.

Not in this case.

Paul Waggoner is a god
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by mmolteratx
This. I don't follow BTBAM closely but from what I remember they use a real rig, which I assume is controlled by MIDI like most large touring acts' rigs, not computers. And if they have switched to digital equipment, it's probably the Axe Fx, still controlled by MIDI.

Recently in the BTBAM thread someone was saying on their current tour they are indeed using the Axe FX.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
Quote by Alter-Bridge
Recently in the BTBAM thread someone was saying on their current tour they are indeed using the Axe FX.

Yeah. For overseas, they said something like it's easier to go direct to PA with the Axe-FX. But for US shows Paul uses a Mark V and Dustie uses a Roadster.

I'm guessing he meant all the effects and crap were controlled my MIDI.
thanks for the info guys! and paul waggoner is a god
Quote by sg255
This fine fellow speaks the truth.

Quote by GD_GC
dude sonic music??? you're my hero!

Quote by tanglewoodguit
Love you

Quote by Jackolas