Hey, didn't know which forum this belonged in so I came here.
I've noticed that there's quite a lot of songs called 17 and I've been wondering for absolutely ages why 17? Why not 18 or 16? And I've noticed there's a few other songs with numbers that end in 7, Biffy Clyro's 57 and 27 for example, wat up wid dat?

List of songs:
Kings of Leon - 17
Smashing Pumpkins - 17
Short Stack - 17
Yourcodenameis:Milo - 17
Mandy Moore - 17
Milburn - 17
Shiina Ringo - 17
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

well 17 is that age where you start having own up to responsibilities and the age you really get your freedom. you can start doing what you want at that age really
Coincidences aren't always conspiracies.

17 is the year before you become an adult sort of, a lot of subject material there with that the struggling with maturity and whatnot.
Quote by rickyj
well 17 is that age where you start having own up to responsibilities and the age you really get your freedom. you can start doing what you want at that age really

It's 18 here in America, when you become a legal adult and start having to deal with all of that. And if I'm not mistaken, I think most of those bands are American.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Kings of Leon - 17
Smashing Pumpkins - 16 HURT
Short Stack - 17
Yourcodenameis:Milo - 17
Mandy Moore - 18 HEAL
Milburn - 17
Shiina Ringo - 17

amirite?
Last edited by severed-metal at Jul 3, 2010,
Quote by JagerSlushy
It's 18 here in America, when you become a legal adult and start having to deal with all of that. And if I'm not mistaken, I think most of those bands are American.

yea i know... im from ohio.

well thats when your parents start letting you go to parties or go to your friends house whenever you want. thats the age you can get your drivers license(or is it 18 now? 17 makes more sense because you get temps at 15 and a half... idk) thats the age you can get a job, nobody hires 15 and a half or 16 year olds even tho its legal too.
Wasn't there a Fleetwood Mac/Stevie Nix song that had to do with 17.

Oh, and I think regardless it being 18 (legally) in America, 17 is when it begins.
+Winger-Seventeen

Its the youngest age of a partner that someone over the age of 18 can have relations with.

17 is clean but 16 will get you 20.
RIP George Carlin (1937-2008)
Quote by rickyj
well thats when your parents start letting you go to parties or go to your friends house whenever you want. thats the age you can get your drivers license(or is it 18 now? 17 makes more sense because you get temps at 15 and a half... idk) thats the age you can get a job, nobody hires 15 and a half or 16 year olds even tho its legal too.

You can get your license at 16 here in Georgia.

And as for going to parties and that kinda stuff, I got drunk with my mom in a bar last night, and I'm 16 but we both work there so the bartender didn't have much of a problem with it.

EDIT: And the guy above me is right too. Didn't think about that!
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Quote by Head BANGER 81
+Winger-Seventeen

Its the youngest age of a partner that someone over the age of 18 can have relations with.

17 is clean but 16 will get you 20.

Not true. It's the 2 year thing. Like for instance since I'm 18 since January, I could date a girl and do whatever with as long as she's born before January 2 years after I was.
Ahh, I thought it might have something to do with that, needed it confirming though, cheers for everyone's replies lock this thread now if need be.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Well, when I was 17 I was really bummed out all the time and had this ongoing crisis caused by uncertainty about my future. All of the sudden I had to start thinking about college & life after high school. Ya know, like "whoah, I'm almost an adult, pretty soon I'm gonna have to face the real world (the real real world) (or college (and all those questions: which college? what am I gonna study? (what do I wanna do with my life?))etc. etc.). I can't just sit in my bedroom in my parents' house and surf the internet and listen to Ramones records while half-assing trigonometry homework forever."