I'm trying to get into pedal building so I decided to get my feet wet with this kit. I know that these questions are really dumb, but I just want to know for the future.
1. Is there an order that I need to put the parts in? Like do the capacitors need to go before the resistors or something? They have directions but I was wondering for the future if I need to follow that order.
2. Would I completely muck up the pedal's sound if I put some of the pieces meant for the 250 if I was building the Distortion+? Obviously the companies used the parts for a reason, but I just would like to know if it would sound like a soft distortion/heavy OD or just a mess. Thanks.
Those two pedals (250/dist+) are practically the same pedal. swapping things around would be unneccessary and in future builds, yes, components (value and type) are specific so you can't just throw them around without understanding the circuit.

As for order, run all of your wires first. Input, output, pots, switch. Then do the resistors/capacitors, then diodes, then transistors and IC's.
Usually the best order to populate a board is with the shortest stuff first, that way other parts aren't in your way. Start with Rs and Ds, then the opamp, then tall stuff like Caps, etc.

Yes, you can mix and match to some extent between the 250, D+ and Ross OD circuits. But I'd advise having a plan and trying it out on a breadboard or something first. Some stuff in there you can just season to taste, there are other components that are pretty damn specific and need to be what they are. Random changes produce random results. If this is your first trip down this road stick to the map.
I would do the wires and offboard stuff last, this eliminates you breaking any of them while soldering the rest of the board up. Plus when you box it up you can cut them to length if it isn't already done for you. And just for future reference ask these types of questions in the ultimate pedal building thread.
Quote by Ronsonic
Usually the best order to populate a board is with the shortest stuff first, that way other parts aren't in your way. Start with Rs and Ds, then the opamp, then tall stuff like Caps, etc.

Yes, you can mix and match to some extent between the 250, D+ and Ross OD circuits. But I'd advise having a plan and trying it out on a breadboard or something first. Some stuff in there you can just season to taste, there are other components that are pretty damn specific and need to be what they are. Random changes produce random results. If this is your first trip down this road stick to the map.

I agree with this. Usually wiring first isn't a good idea. Start with the components that lay closest to the board, resistors, sockets, jumpers, trimmers, etc. Then the taller components, then wire it all up.

If you want to change your 250 into a Distortion+, your going to have to find out what parts to change and if you need to modify the board at all. You can use the parts from the 250 kit for the Distortion+ with no problems at all. You'll just have to get the parts that vary from the 250.

I would get the 250 working first and then think about modifying it to a D+ after you know it's working.
I usually do wires last but that's just me.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Yeah, I couldn't see wiring first and having to fight wires a good thing. You could also risk breaking a wire off while trying to solder components to the board plus they would just be in the way.
Quote by Griffin Effects
I agree with this. Usually wiring first isn't a good idea. Start with the components that lay closest to the board, resistors, sockets, jumpers, trimmers, etc. Then the taller components, then wire it all up.

If you want to change your 250 into a Distortion+, your going to have to find out what parts to change and if you need to modify the board at all. You can use the parts from the 250 kit for the Distortion+ with no problems at all. You'll just have to get the parts that vary from the 250.

I would get the 250 working first and then think about modifying it to a D+ after you know it's working.

The BYOC kit comes with everything you need to do either one.
Yeah, I know there are only a few components that are different. I didn't realize the kit came with the components or instructions to make either.

If it has parts/instructions for both, make the D+ if that's what you want.
from the schems ive seen they have the same number of components and everything, just a few different values.

different pot values, output cap value, and the voltage divider is totally different.

but you could use the same pcb for both. hell you could probably use a switch to toggle between them.