Hi

I'd like a simple bit of gear I can use to see if used guitars in garage sales are working...or i can use to pluck away in silence when camping, etc.

I came across these micro-amps on Ebay that plug directly into the guitar outlet and can be used with ipod earphones.

Has anyone tried one of these?...Is the sound even 'half-decent' just for a bit of practice or to determine if electronics are working?

(the photo is of one device, but there are other similar concepts)

Thanks. any input appreciated
Attachments:
miniamp.jpg
Last edited by Raptorfingers at Jul 3, 2010,
i have the amplug ac30 with decent headphones i get a passable sound nothing compared to my real amp but its fine for practice or playing at 3 in the morning
I feel like Vox has a whole line of tiny amps you can plug headphones into.
As my one of my old guitar teachers used to say, "Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats."
thanks for the input

Sometimes I'll practice unplugged...even if they are not great are they better than nothing or do they mess up the sound?

Also, it you were buying a used guitar at a garage sale, etc. could you determine if the volume and tone controls were working ok...or is there not enough clarity?
Last edited by Raptorfingers at Jul 3, 2010,
Vox amplug. I've got one and it sounds pretty damn decent for $40
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
When Vox amplugs are so cheap why settle for a screeching cockroach?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification