How come everytime I put my distortion on my guitar, it starts sounding like a bunch of mess. Everytime I pick just a few notes, I start to hear a lot of unwanted noise such as open strings, feedback, etc... no matter how slow I play. Can this be because I have a cheap $200 Les Paul Special II with a $90 Line 6 Spider 15 watt amplifer? Or is it all just because my technique? If all of this open string noise is because of my technique, then how do you stop your guitar from making these noises?!?
Practice muting the unwanted strings with your fingers.
Your opinion is just that, YOUR opinion. It doesn't make you right. It doesn't make you better. It doesn't make you god. Everyone has their own view and that view is neither right or wrong.

Ignorance destroys music.
Technique is probably a big part of it.

I'm not ruling out your gear completely, but if you are very new I would say it's probably technique. Work on keeping open strings muted and not letting anything extra ring out.
Quote by C O B H C
If you want to get really technical about it..

1. Grab sticks.
2. Bang sticks on drums.

^how to play drums.

UG POKER
Quote by Jpboy1994
How come everytime I put my distortion on my guitar, it starts sounding like a bunch of mess. Everytime I pick just a few notes, I start to hear a lot of unwanted noise such as open strings, feedback, etc... no matter how slow I play. Can this be because I have a cheap $200 Les Paul Special II with a $90 Line 6 Spider 15 watt amplifer? Or is it all just because my technique? If all of this open string noise is because of my technique, then how do you stop your guitar from making these noises?!?

Palm muting and technique play a vital part in keeping it clean. You could also try lowering your gain as that will boost every sound your guitar makes. Play it clean and see if there are any of those noises in there if not - play with distortion, lower the gain until they are gone, find out where the noises are coming from and analyze your options to get rid of it. Could you mute the strings with a flat finger on your fretting hand to clean it up? Can you palm mute it? does it happen on other gear? Have a friend that can play clean on your gear? If so watch him =)
If your technique is solid, the problem might be equipment related. Try using better cables and investing in a noise gate (aka noise suppressor) pedal.
First of all make sure your EQ is properly set up.

If your experiencing unwanted noise roll back your gain and mids on your amp, and then after that roll back your volume knob on your guitar just a bit.

Yes this can be because of your gear.

If your hearing open strings that is because your hitting them on accident, concentrate on not hitting them.
set gain at 12...never set it fulll except if u play metalcore or punk that only play chords so u won't need any muting except for palm muting...