I've been playing guitar for the past 3 years kinda on and off and havent been able to take any lessons from anyone due to my location and lack of transportation. I live in a tiny little town in Oregon far away from any major cities and I'm the only person in my town who has any interest or ability in music (trust me, I've checked) I can play every pentatonic scale in every position and a few chords. Lately I've become more serious about playing but even after 3 years the only full song I can play is Inside the Fire by Disturbed. I can play a few riffs and licks from other songs plus some original stuff that I put together using what I know. I understand basic music theory but I really want to improve in all aspects of my playing now that I'm applying to a music college. I was hoping you guys could give me some advice and maybe reccomend any good videos or books that will help me improve
Try learning some more theory and applying it when you practice guitar. I love learning a new concept and making something on my own using it.
As long as you are able to push yourself to learn, you will make good progress in both the technical and theoretical aspects of music.

Where in Oregon do you live?
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
What would you say is a good way to learn theory?

I live in Brownsville
Last edited by MetalxKing at Jul 4, 2010,
Quote by MetalxKing
What would you say is a good way to learn theory?

This website helps a lot: http://www.classic.musictheory.net/
Take it slowly, make sure your really digest what is being taught. Hell, takes notes if you want to.

Honestly, I'm not too good at answering that question, even though it gets asked a fair amount here.

If you have any problems, just ask questions in MT.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Dude, Get an instructional DVD - just search that
Or, Get Fretboard geography. Starts out real basic but, you will learn some stuff. It also has a DVD.
There are a bunch of websites online that provide lessons from very educated guitarists.

Otherwise, this is a really good site for asking simple questions about any topic at all. You do have to wade through some misinformation but in the end we get it right through sheer force.
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
I'm curious about those RockHouse Method instructional DVDs. Are those any good or would I just be wasting my money?
Quote by MetalxKing
I'm curious about those RockHouse Method instructional DVDs. Are those any good or would I just be wasting my money?

if your trying to improve I would suggest not being genre-specific. Learn some theory that you can apply to anything.