Page 1 of 2
I'm in a band that's been around for about a year and a half. We are pretty good I'd say, but we haven't had any gigs. We can't do bars, and there's no all ages shows places around. And parties/barbecues? That will not work at all. How would the adults there feel about heavily distorted, downtuned instruments, screaming, and obscenities? They'd kick us the hell out. Any idea where a young grindcore band like us could play?
Your local elementary school.
Begin again in the night, let's sway again tonight.
Your arm on my shoulder, your cheek against mine.
Where can we go, when will we find that, we know.
it depends. are you REAL grindcore? as in old Carcass/old Napalm Death/Pig Destroyer type grindcore? if so, look into what local grind or similarly loud screamy metal bands are playing clubs and such in your area and see if you can open for them.

if you mean "Bring Me The Horizon grindcore" as in "not grindcore," then go back to the drawing board.
As far away from me as possible.

Just kidding (kinda), really though, check the paper/internet for clubs or private parties looking for bands, or you can put yourself on craigslist. Sell yourself, basically.
Grindcore? Play? Does not compute.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
@flame843: Hahahah Dude I hate Bring me the Horizon. They're emo douches.

and @sadSTATUE: Wow, you're hilarious. I'm going into High School.
You're not really going to find any places to play at the age of 14...
Sail upon the open skies
Quote by angusfan16
You're not really going to find any places to play at the age of 14...

This.

Really. Not being an asshole or anything, but really you're not going to find any place that will let you play at 14, no matter what genre you are.

... talent show?
Last edited by crazy8rgood at Jul 4, 2010,
Quote by flame843
it depends. are you REAL grindcore? as in old Carcass/old Napalm Death/Pig Destroyer type grindcore? if so, look into what local grind or similarly loud screamy metal bands are playing clubs and such in your area and see if you can open for them.

if you mean "Bring Me The Horizon grindcore" as in "not grindcore," then go back to the drawing board.

I was about to ask this myself. I don't understand how the grind label got applied to deathcore bands. They're rather different.
Quote by crazy8rgood
This.

Really. Not being an asshole or anything, but really you're not going to find any place that will let you play.

... talent show?

That's all i can think of as well.

I dunno if high schools host battle of the bands during the summer or not, but if they do, you could always try that as well
Sail upon the open skies
Yeah that's what I thought. Whatever, onea my friends is almost 16, and he lives out in the country. He could probably drive us to some place and we could just invite a lot of people
Quote by bigblackbus

lrn2takeajoke.

Best thing you can do is to host your own shows if you can, because quite frankly angusfan's right.

Talent shows aaaaare a bit of a stretch, tbh, but it can't hurt to look into.
Begin again in the night, let's sway again tonight.
Your arm on my shoulder, your cheek against mine.
Where can we go, when will we find that, we know.
label yourself "Christian Rock" and you can play at every church in your city...

... and the best part is you have God's approval

You could play nonstandard venues, like basements or barns.

EDIT: Great idea. It's not like they'll ever know what your lyrics are.

I've seen a bunch of bands do this, too. It's not hard at all.
Last edited by Holy Katana at Jul 4, 2010,
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. And Holy Katana, I totally forgot, everytime i go out where one of my friend lives, theres at least a few abandoned places. It'd work
Quote by bigblackbus
@flame843: Hahahah Dude I hate Bring me the Horizon. They're emo douches.

This isn't twitter gawdamnit.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
We don't need another band like "The Thrashers" wait another year or so before you play a show.

Anyway, a local talent show, or a friends basement.
Quote by Carmel
Lucky I'm a girl and I don't give a damn.

Quote by darkwolf291

I've seen her kill a man with a spork and a rubber band
No one is safe from the wrath of Batgirl!
Last edited by offthewall91 at Jul 4, 2010,
Often at youth clubs there is a contingent of people who attend who might dig some grindcore. Find yourself a youth club and see if there is anyway you can play, in a talent show or whatever. You may have to tone down any obscene lyrics for this, but its really your only chance.
So come on in
it ain't no sin
take off your skin
and dance around in your bones

Your garage
Quote by Ikey
im no fred flintstone but i can sure make the bed rock

MY GEAR!

Epiphone Futura Custom EX
Randall RG75DG3 Combo Amp
MXR 10-Band EQ
Oscar Schmidt OG10CEN

howya doin
Quote by offthewall91
wait another year or so before you play a show.

This. You've got plenty of time. The band I'm in had been playing together for roughly 4 before I joined, and we just started playing shows a couple months ago. Probably a bit long, but the point still stands.
Kodiak bears make awesome bandmates.

Quote by wolvenrick
no seriously 7x NGD is epicness i declare you the winner of all NGD's on UG never have i seen this xD
Network with other bands. MYSPACE! Rent an american legion, or community center, or basically any building in a business district and throw a show, get a couple other bands, and make sure you have like 2 or 3 months to promote and get EVERYONE who cares at all there.

also, reverbnation.com has a gig finder, sign up for that site. you type in a zip code and it will show you any venues within however many miles (up to a hundred I think)

Where are you from?

p.s. forget what everyone is saying, if you all think you are ready for shows then go play some. If you have a crappy show and decide you need more time, don't book any more and practice more. Any stage experience is good, and even if you do bomb then when you actually have decent gig you won't have stage-fright.
Last edited by bassdrum at Jul 4, 2010,
I've seen a band comprised of kids who looked to be between 13 and 16 open for legit bands at one of my local venues. I guess those of you saying that 14 year olds can't get a gig anywhere have pretty shitty venues?
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Quote by GodofCheesecake
I've seen a band comprised of kids who looked to be between 13 and 16 open for legit bands at one of my local venues. I guess those of you saying that 14 year olds can't get a gig anywhere have pretty shitty venues?

No shit man. at our nearest venue (terre haute music venue, in indiana) they have young kids open for national acts all the time. I was 16 and I was in a band that opened for born of osiris. A lot of venues have them sell tickets, and as long as a band is halfway decent and sells tickets, it doesn't matter how old you are.

OHH and go to indieonthemove.com it's an AWESOME resource. good luck with everything dude. Just remember keep your head up, don't let anyone bring you down or keep you from your goals, no matter how young you are or how "out there" your band is.
Quote by GodofCheesecake

I was just going off by personal experience. I remember trying to get shows when i was around TS's age, and i remember how god awful I and the entire bands was. We thought we were ready to play shows because we had like 5 songs written, but in all honesty we should never have been let on stage.

I've also seen other bands around my area with 14/15 year olds in them, and they're not really ready to be playing shows yet either. Not saying all bands around that age are like that, but most of them do need to take less time trying to put shows together and work on bettering their music.

Or maybe my local music scene just sucks ass.
Sail upon the open skies
Last edited by angusfan16 at Jul 4, 2010,
Quote by crazy8rgood
This.

Really. Not being an asshole or anything, but really you're not going to find any place that will let you play at 14, no matter what genre you are.

... talent show?

Bullshit. I played in bars when I was 14 / 15 and I've played in clubs from the age of 16. Just find legitimate venues / talk to members of bands of the similar genre around your area. The only place a grindcore band should be playing is a place that hosts music venues of the same type. Bands that play in the corners of bars and at parties are entertainment, not music.
Quote by crazy8rgood
This.

... talent show?

Grindcore? Talent? Let's not get ahead of ourselves.
Quote by The Contagen
Grindcore? Talent? Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

It shouldn't be that hard for you to find a venue. Maybe it's different where you're from, but in the Bay Area, bands have tons of opportunities to play shows.
Your bedroom.
Your friends' bedrooms.
A deserted field.
Antarctica.

Some places that come to mind
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Call me Patrick! My username sucks anyway
Quote by bigblackbus
I'm in a band that's been around for about a year and a half. We are pretty good I'd say, but we haven't had any gigs. We can't do bars, and there's no all ages shows places around. And parties/barbecues? That will not work at all. How would the adults there feel about heavily distorted, downtuned instruments, screaming, and obscenities? They'd kick us the hell out. Any idea where a young grindcore band like us could play?

Been playing for a year and havent even mic'd a song for upload? cmon..
Most guitar teachers are into the local music scene.. have everyone go talk to their respective teacher whether they take lessons or not.. Just go talk to them and see if someone takes an interest in what you potentially have to offer..
nowhere
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Sorry man, but unless you get really lucky, you probably won't be playing for about 2 or 3 more years. I went through the same thing, though. (Minus the grindcore part)
Rojam's new and improved band!!!!

Listen a little bit, we DON'T suck!
Page 1 of 2