I've been playing for about 5 yrs and am now regretably just barely getting into theory. I was just wondering how long it took everyone to get it down. I know it can be an ongoing thing, but for example, how long did it take you to learn all the major scales. But thats just an example. Please give some insight to the length of the learning process.
I learned it for writing music, not really for guitar (though, I do transfer what I need over) so the process could be a little faster for me since I didn't spend countless hours learning the intricacies of my instrument... It just kinda got there on it's own.

It took me about... 6 months to where I could regurgitate most of the information with little thinking. There are always tricks to make things easy though... that's where a good teacher comes in.
I've still not gotten it down but I started learning little by little maybe 9months in? Something like that.

Edit: I re-read the OP, sorry about my answer. I read the OP like you wanted to know when people started learning theory, not when they fully understood it.
Current Gear:
Mexican Fender Telecaster
Robert Smith custom Jazzmaster
Stratocaster
Vox AC4TV
Last edited by unicornfist at Jul 4, 2010,
I've been playing for over 20 years now and there is still a lot I don't know and can't do.

I constantly try to raise the bar for myself.

I honeslty believe i will never be satisfied with my ability. Whereever I get I will always want to get better.

I'm sorry this doesn't really answer your question. Everyone is different though and no two jouneys on the road to discovery are the same. you just gotta keep chipping away at it.

To learn the major scales was less than two weeks though.
I've been playing guitar for 3 years (nearly 4) and started learning theory after 2 years. In that time I've learnt up to grade 7 classical theory and abot grade 7-8 popular (think jazz chords and modes).

It doesn't take long to learn all the notes in the major scales but it's also important to apply what you've learnt (i'm guilty of this) otherwise what's the point in learning it?
Quote by siidman
I've been playing for about 5 yrs and am now regretably just barely getting into theory. I was just wondering how long it took everyone to get it down. I know it can be an ongoing thing, but for example, how long did it take you to learn all the major scales. But thats just an example. Please give some insight to the length of the learning process.

It doesn't matter how long it takes. If you want to do it......do it.
shred is gaudy music
i've been playing guitar for 2.5 years, and i learned all the theory i know in 2 years. but i ate, slept, and breathed theory.

but it doesn't matter how long it takes you. like guitarmunky said, if you want to do it, do it.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
everyone learns at different speeds

depending on many different factors

dedication discipline desire etc.
Yeah, do it.

Honestly it probably won't take you all that long. If you don't make it just running through the motions but actually think through it all everything will come together.

The things you've already learned will begin to make more and more sense and suddenly you'll have an epiphany; "oh! that's how that works" or "i've been playing that for so long, that's what is behind it".

Honestly, that will happen a lot with 5 years behind you.
Quote by Guitardude19
The world is a fucked up place.

Tele's

"Oh I'll play the blues for you"
I started working on theory 2 years ago.
it took me about 3 months to understand the theory behind and the basics of the sound of the major scale. Im still working on it on my instrtument--but it took me another month to get the basics of it-- (i have it in 5 positions in all keys, now im working on learning it up and down single strings, by mode and with diatonic triads in an attempt to unlearn the shapes).

Honestly, I think I was a slow learner (i started learning theory when i was getting into really playing the guitar instead of just strumming chords and ocassionaly soloing with a blues scale).
I've been playing for around 10 years, and most of the theory I learned was self-conceived, learning what I could through experimenting. When I started being taught it was basically putting names to what I had already discovered and elaborating further on it. Theory is also more practical and easily applied if you play piano/keyboard. Most of my knowledge I transfer over to the guitar.
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
OK, thx for everyones input. I'm just wanting to get an idea of the average time it took people. I've got the fret board mostly memorized. I say mostly in that I know where all the notes are but I cant find them at lightning speed or anything. I learned the natural notes first then the sharps/flats. So with that, I am learning the the C scale first since it hits all the notes I first learned on the fretboard to get more familiar. I'm trying to be patient and when I learn something, I wanna know it. So I'm taking my time with the scales. I'll do 1 position of the C scale every day, then I'll move on to g, e... I'll play it string by string, 2 strings at a time, many different ways, and pay attention to each note hit. I'll play that one pattern for prob. 4 hours through out the day. and play the previous patterns I learned for a while as well. I'll still play other songs here and there to not get burn out with this. Does this sound like a good starting method?
Quote by siidman

Personally, every learning method I ever found to understand music theory and applying it to the guitar sucked.

It took me about 10 years on my own to finally put the pieces together.

Your mileage may vary. I suspect a lot of people learn it in school or through playing a different instrument than guitar, being involved with band, jazz combos etc. By the time I started guitar I was 16 and almost out of school - I graduated early. So I spent the next ten years getting it on my own. I lived and played all over in southern California, home of GIT/MI and you'd think a guy could learn it all there. I read books watched Videos, asked questions and got nowhere.

But the bottom line is it took about 10 years all on my own, and the lessons learned from it are there are definitely better ways to go about it, and learn it, now that I understand it, I teach it the way I wish someone would have taught it to me.

Best,

Sean