So I've made it my goal to learn to read sheet music and have come across a problem. How do I know which octave to play in on guitar by looking at the sheet music? I mean, on piano you determine the octave using middle c. Whats the rule for guitar?

Thanks
Free Mumia
So is there any trick to identifying where on the neck i should be playing? Any rule of thumb?
Free Mumia
Quote by guerilla radio
So is there any trick to identifying where on the neck i should be playing? Any rule of thumb?

You're only limited by your own ability/reach. If you can't make a stretch or it's an uncomfortable move form chord to chord, move something to another position.
general rule of thumb play wherever needed. if its rhythm its generally lower, or where comfortable. for lead its usually higher up, and for melody (but not lead), its somewhere in between.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Sorry, im really bad with proper terminology. What im trying to ask is, for example, if there is a half note on the first ledger line of the treble staff (E), where would i play that? Open E, 12th fret? Im having trouble knowing whether i should be playing in the higher register or lower register by looking at the music.
Free Mumia
Quote by guerilla radio
Sorry, im really bad with proper terminology. What im trying to ask is, for example, if there is a half note on the first ledger line of the treble staff (E), where would i play that? Open E, 12th fret? Im having trouble knowing whether i should be playing in the higher register or lower register by looking at the music.

Remember, if Middle C is the 5th string 3rd fret, that puts first line E right above it at 4th string 2nd fret.
So then, generally speaking, anything below the treble staff is higher up the neck, anything on the treble staff is towards the middle, anything above is played lower?
Free Mumia
Quote by guerilla radio
So then, generally speaking, anything below the treble staff is higher up the neck, anything on the treble staff is towards the middle, anything above is played lower?

Assuming you mean strings and not frets... yes.
Quote by guerilla radio

And you've just hit the nail on the head why classic notation doesn't transfer well on to the guitar.
Just don't forget, if you're playing a piece not written for guitar middle C (actual middle C) SOUNDS at the 1st fret of the B string.