i see that some shredders, particularly when they improvise, throw in streams of notes between what i'm assuming are the key notes they have in mind, often without thinking about note durations and how it all fits into the measure. i do this too when i'm improvising at higher speeds, not deliberately but rather because i can't make it all fit nicely without stopping to figure it out.

so, is improvising with unforced note durations a skill that shredders generally care to acquire, or does everyone just go wild and make phrases fit? i've been composing and it bothers me to put haphazardly improvised solos in songs i'll try to record, no matter how good it sounds.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
I think that's just shredders being lazy, or not being able to think at high speeds. Or Allan Holdsworth. I do this too, probably because it's easier to shred this way. Trying to solidify the durations of things cannot harm you as far as I can tell. Or you can be Allan Holdsworth and legato-rape your guitar while making sex music. Damn he's good. In a tab book I saw once of I believe Dream Theater, one of the solos had all sorts of funky note groupings like 25:16 and 11:6; evidently it was a case of shredding transcribed. I say you should try to make things fit normally, unless you want to throw something like that into there. Besides, it's a lot easier to follow along in a solo that doesn't have 15:8 groupings :P
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
i see that some shredders, particularly when they improvise, throw in streams of notes between what i'm assuming are the key notes they have in mind, often without thinking about note durations and how it all fits into the measure. i do this too when i'm improvising at higher speeds, not deliberately but rather because i can't make it all fit nicely without stopping to figure it out.

so, is improvising with unforced note durations a skill that shredders generally care to acquire, or does everyone just go wild and make phrases fit? i've been composing and it bothers me to put haphazardly improvised solos in songs i'll try to record, no matter how good it sounds.

the good guitarists may play tons of notes but they are in time.. its not them just pushing an envelope at every turn they are sticking to the speed of the song whether they are playing 3 notes per beat or 4 or even 8, but there is a timing in there - and you can tell.
okay, sounds like shredders are just lazy then, hahah.

just to clarify, what i'm talking about is what KillerAP mentioned in the tab book he saw...15:8 is cheating!
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!