The thread name says it all its like every style of music died people like justin bieber and those disney channel guys are calling themselves rock in my opinion tayor swift is one of the worst country artist I have ever heard if it is one thing these kids have in common is that they all prove you can get through life based on looks because the jonas brothers really suck and what happened to rap/hip-hop stinky leg? wth? that sounds plain stupid? the best artist I have heard for new hip-hop is a japanese dj named nujabes and he has some tabs on this site he has great riffs melodic and calmn but he died earlier this year sucks seems like all the creaters of music and all the people who are true legends and make real music are dropping dead now that I think about it very few legendary guitarist are still here we still have van halen and kirk from metallica but man music is slowly dying I would rather listen to 1600's lute players then this crap
Quote by LionSoul
true legends and make real music are dropping dead now that I think about it very few legendary guitarist are ... kirk from metallica

It's evolving to fit with the times. It's done this since before the 1600's. It just so happens we were more musically talented back then than we are today, and we also had better taste.

Having said that, forcing your opinion and saying something is trash when it appeals to millions of people is a bit ignorant. Now, I don't like Bieber or Taylor Swift, but they're doing what they can to make money. And Lady Gaga used to be A LOT better than she is today. But, honestly, she did exactly what I would have done if I was offered as much money as she was: she sold out. You can still write the music you want to... you just have to appeal to a broader audience now.
I totally agree.

However this thread posts no questions, or asks for feedback or anything. Were you aware of that?
Do you want our opinions? Or were you just informing us of something that is blatantly obvious?
Quote by northdeathstyle
I totally agree.

However this thread posts no questions, or asks for feedback or anything. Were you aware of that?
Do you want our opinions? Or were you just informing us of something that is blatantly obvious?

thread title WAS the question? inb4flamewar
Quote by northdeathstyle
I totally agree.

Blatant and obvious mean the same thing. Just sayin'.
Future: Uncertain
End: Near

Music is changing, and the music industry is changing. You have to understand that now, the people with the actual talent are smart enough to stay away from the music industry. They go independent, or with a small record company. That's where the real music is at. Go listen to the Decemberists, or Dinosaur Jr. those guys have never had any air time like the jonas brothers, or taylor swift. But they're way more talented. It's about being in the right place at the right time. And with the internet anyone can get their music out there. So what it boils down to is that there is some really crappy music out there. Turn on the radio and you've got people talking about "imma be" or some crap. But on the other side of that, there's a lot of great music. You just have to search for it a little harder.
Dude try out The Mars Volta. I feel the same way though man. There aint much choice out there that seems very good. It's all seems like manufactured crap. Something really has to be unique eg BTBAM or The Faceless to do it for me. I'll try out the decemberists though. They sound good.
ha diminished is a funny dude. He just said Lady Gaga and music in the same sentence. That chick doesn't do shit. She is a carbon copy of Christina Aguilera written for the 2010. No pop artists write their own music now. Even if they did, is it honestly good? Pop artists do what their record companies tell them to. Its not all their fault though, the music industry is struggling for two reasons. The suits and ties don't know how to scout real talent. look at the big artists out now (phoenix, kings of leon etc...). the other reason is teenie boppers don't buy cds anymore. They go on iTunes. Which means that bands don't make shit. Many people outside the music industry assume that if you are on the radio u are rich, its not like that anymore.
Quote by LionSoul
... I would rather listen to 1600's lute players then this crap...

So don't listen to it. Simple as that.

Ever wonder why there are so many genres of music? Because each one appeals to different people.
Also, if you think music is dying, you're obviously not looking very far beyond the surface or making an effort to find something that interest you, rather than whinge.
Quote by LionSoul
The thread name says it all its like every style of music died people like justin bieber and those disney channel guys are calling themselves rock in my opinion tayor swift is one of the worst country artist I have ever heard if it is one thing these kids have in common is that they all prove you can get through life based on looks because the jonas brothers really suck and what happened to rap/hip-hop stinky leg? wth? that sounds plain stupid? the best artist I have heard for new hip-hop is a japanese dj named nujabes and he has some tabs on this site he has great riffs melodic and calmn but he died earlier this year sucks seems like all the creaters of music and all the people who are true legends and make real music are dropping dead now that I think about it very few legendary guitarist are still here we still have van halen and kirk from metallica but man music is slowly dying I would rather listen to 1600's lute players then this crap

I'm still waiting for you to finish that run on sentence.

EDIT: Also, this is the kind of thread that makes me want to bang my head against a wall. Another day, another group of people complaining about how music is "dying" because the mainstream doesn't cater directly to them.
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
Last edited by BigFatSandwich at Jul 4, 2010,
I kinda glanced through the OP, but I'm going to guess this is a "pop is bad" thread, or something along those lines.

Well I'll put my argument forward about this, pop music and popular music (quite annoying that they are two different things ) aren't completely devoid of good musicians and decent work.

My usual argument for pop music (the genre) would be people like John Mayer (go on, laugh), as much as he's seen as a poppy douche, he's an amazing musician, listen to songs of his such as "Neon" or actually learn some of his tunes to realise, it's hard enough to play "Stop This Train" let alone sing with it.
Also if you hear his live album "Where The Light Is" you hear everyone going nuts for his blues trio set in the middle.

Another pop musician I like to cite is Orianthi. Now she pretty much (aside from her first album, Violet Journey) churns out the same pop stuff you'd expect, as much as I hate to admit it, people like Kelly Clarkson or Avril Lavigne or someone would create. But as well as this, her guitar playing is immense It's not as a well structured argument as my John Mayer one, but it's still there, she's pretty much encouraging people to play the instrument. So where in the 80s people would have the image of a young boy playing air guitar to "Breakin' The Law" now, because of the natural gender target of her music, we'll have young girls air guitaring to Orianthi. And even if only a handful of those go on to take music up as a serious thing, we have a nice foundation for the future of music etc etc.

Also, don't diregard popular music (not the genre) in the likes of guitarists like Jack White, Josh Homme, John Frusciante etc etc, pushing genres such as blues, funk and rock into the eye of the public.

And just because metal isn't the most popular genre (come on though, when has it ever been?) it doesn't mean that "music is dead" which it clearly isn't. If anything music is more thriving that it's been ever with so many avenues to get your music into the public.
Just because metal, rock, shred, jazz, blues, whatever the favourite genre is, isn't on the radio constantly, it doesn't mean those genres have just stopped, they're still going, and going ****in' strong.
If you allow yourself to think that the music industry is dying because of polished artists then they will be, but how long has this mass-produced pop star thing been going on?
Longer than I've been alive that's for sure. It's nothing new, and it's not like Justin Bieber will be popular for longer than another 2 years.

Just ease up and enjoy the music you're listening to, support those bands at gigs and with merch sales and hope they make more albums. Music ain't a competition to see who can get on the radio, just enjoy it, even though the world doesn't like some of the bands you like, doesn't mean they don't exist.

Keep it easy.
In this world there's two types of music. There's music you like, and music you don't like. Pay attention to the music you like, don't pay attention to the music you don't.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Jeeeeesus.

Times change. While arguably there aren't as many "legendary guitar players" these days there are, for example, more "legendary R&B singers", the same way in the late 80s there weren't as many "legendary operatic tenors" around as in the 18th and 19th centuries. I'd like to challenge your claim about legendary guitar players, because while shredders and thrash might not be so hot these days, there are still guys like Kurt Rosenwinkel, Andy McKee, etc. keeping guitar playing current. Regardless, in the prime of shred and thrash we didn't have groups like Boyz II Men. They are not a guitar-based rock band but have just as much musical merit. Styles of popular music always change, but you can always find talent in it. Stupid bubblegum pop has always existed. The reason old music always seems so much better is we forget OLD stupid bubblegum pop, the way we've already forgotten Crank Dat Soulja Boy, and all that remains is the memories of "legends."

And shit. What a hell of a runon sentence. o_O
Quote by dougcls
ha diminished is a funny dude. He just said Lady Gaga and music in the same sentence. That chick doesn't do shit. She is a carbon copy of Christina Aguilera written for the 2010. No pop artists write their own music now. Even if they did, is it honestly good? Pop artists do what their record companies tell them to. Its not all their fault though, the music industry is struggling for two reasons.

Quote by Lady Gaga Biography
“I ALWAYS LOVED ROCK AND POP AND THEATER. WHEN I DISCOVERED QUEEN AND DAVID BOWIE IS WHEN IT REALLY CAME TOGETHER FOR ME AND I REALIZED I COULD DO ALL THREE,” SAYS GAGA, WHO NICKED HER NAME FROM QUEEN’S SONG “RADIO GAGA”

------------------------------------------------------------------

THAT GOAL MIGHT SEEM LOFTY, BUT CONSIDER THE ARTIST: GAGA IS THE GIRL WHO AT AGE 4 LEARNED PIANO BY EAR. BY AGE 13, SHE HAD WRITTEN HER FIRST PIANO BALLAD. AT 14, SHE PLAYED OPEN MIKE NIGHTS AT CLUBS SUCH AS NEW YORK’S THE BITTER END BY NIGHT AND WAS TEASED FOR HER QUIRKY, ECCENTRIC STYLE BY HER CONVENT OF THE SACRED HEART SCHOOL (THE MANHATTAN PRIVATE SCHOOL NICKY AND PARIS HILTON ATTENDED) CLASSMATES BY DAY. AT AGE 17, SHE BECAME WAS ONE OF 20 KIDS IN THE WORLD TO GET EARLY ADMISSION TO TISCH SCHOOL OF THE ARTS AT NYU. SIGNED BY HER 20TH BIRTHDAY AND WRITING SONGS FOR OTHER ARTISTS (SUCH AS THE PUSSYCAT DOLLS, AND HAS BEEN ASKED TO WRITE FOR A SERIES OF INTERSCOPE ARTISTS) BEFORE HER DEBUT ALBUM WAS EVEN RELEASED, LADY GAGA HAS EARNED THE RIGHT TO REACH FOR THE SKY

-------------------------------------------------------

IT’S BEEN A WHILE SINCE A NEW POP ARTIST HAS MADE HER WAY IN THE MUSIC INDUSTRY THE OLD-FASHIONED/GRASS ROOTS WAY BY PAYING HER DUES WITH SEEDY CLUB GIGS AND SELF-PROMOTION. THIS IS ONE RISING POP STAR WHO HASN’T BEEN PLUCKED FROM A MODEL CASTING CALL, BORN INTO A FAMOUS FAMILY, WON A REALITY TV SINGING CONTEST, OR EMERGED FROM A TEEN CABLE TV SITCOM. “I DID THIS THE WAY YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO. I PLAYED EVERY CLUB IN NEW YORK CITY AND I BOMBED IN EVERY CLUB AND THEN KILLED IT IN EVERY CLUB AND I FOUND MYSELF AS AN ARTIST. I LEARNED HOW TO SURVIVE AS AN ARTIST, GET REAL, AND HOW TO FAIL AND THEN FIGURE OUT WHO I WAS AS SINGER AND PERFORMER. AND, I WORKED HARD.”

-------------------------------------------

“MY GOAL AS AN ARTIST IS TO FUNNEL A POP RECORD TO A WORLD IN A VERY INTERESTING WAY,” SAYS GAGA, WHO WROTE ALL OF HER LYRICS, ALL OF HER MELODIES, AND PLAYED MOST OF THE SYNTH WORK ON HER ALBUM

Source - http://www.ladygaga.com/bio/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YIFo30_t28

I'm pretty sure she's earned her right to be called a musician.

lrn2research

the other reason is teenie boppers don't buy cds anymore. They go on iTunes. Which means that bands don't make shit. Many people outside the music industry assume that if you are on the radio u are rich, its not like that anymore.

I hope you realize that CD sales amount to less than 10% of a bands total revenue. They probably actually make more money using digital distribution than they do off of CD sales. You also know that the real money is in ticket and merch sales right?

The suits and ties don't know how to scout real talent. look at the big artists out now (phoenix, kings of leon etc...).

If the job you got paid for was to find the most catchy artist that would sell the most records... wouldn't you try and do that? I mean you don't want to lose your job do you? It's the music business. It's not music playtime for them. The goal of a business is to make profit. If you spend more money promoting the next guitar god than you get back in ticket, merch, and CD/Digital Distribution sales you're not making a profit. You're losing money. Hence why record companies go after what's currently selling. Every now and again you get a company that takes a risk... but not very often.

Just trying to make sure you don't make yourself look like an idiot again! Remember... knowledge is power!
Last edited by DiminishedFifth at Jul 4, 2010,
Yes, television pop stars are a recent phenomenon.

How soon we forget:

The Jackson 5 (Saturday morning cartoon)
The Monkees
The Partridge Family
The Archies
Sonny and Cher

Quote by dougcls
.......the other reason is teenie boppers don't buy cds anymore. They go on iTunes. Which means that bands don't make shit. Many people outside the music industry assume that if you are on the radio u are rich, its not like that anymore.

In the 70s and 80s, you couldn't release a recording unless you were signed to a label with national distribution.

A CD is an expensive, inefficient method of releasing material even now, with iTunes I can distribute globally with little more cash outlay than studio time. Granted it is up to me to promote my product, but with the internet that is also way easier than trying to get yourself into radio, television or print media to start a "buzz".

My iTunes revenue is somewhere around 65% of the retail cost per unit. I have no expenses for that distribution method. I am currently running under my own label so some record company doesn't take their massive percentage. Again, I have to promote my own product, but Apple even gives me little logo to include telling my audience where to buy from.

The only real downside is the audience has an option to only buy the songs they want so my unit sale size goes from $11.99 to $0.99 because no one will buy a full "album" when they only want one song. This is the argument used by major bands and labels to not like listing with iTunes because is knocks down the gross revenue for the record company because they want to sell you 8 or 9 songs you don't want want to get the 1 or 2 songs you want. They really want to get $11.99 for a single hit song.
Last edited by Quintex at Jul 4, 2010,
Quote by LionSoul
The thread name says it all its like every style of music died people like justin bieber and those disney channel guys are calling themselves rock.

They don't claim themselves as rock... they are pop and they know it. Though I don't listen to Beiber so I dont know exactly what his rap/pop style is.

in my opinion tayor swift is one of the worst country artist I have ever heard

Key Point: In your opinion. Your one person out of the planet's 6 billion people. I don't really like her live(CMAs) and I don't like the fact that her songs are for chicks mainly, since I am a guy. But she isn't the worst. I don't how she can be based on these nominations and wins http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_awards_and_nominations_received_by_Taylor_Swift

if it is one thing these kids have in common is that they all prove you can get through life based on looks

Not really, on the Disney People, when you sign a contract to act for Disney you also sign a recording contract. Everyone that signs up for Disney has to pass a vocal audition. You can't blame Disney for wanting to squeeze every dollar out of their investments as they can, I mean if you get a Vanessa Hudgens nude scandal then Disney loses respect from parents.

because the jonas brothers really suck

Again, your opinion. Kids around the world like their music because it appeals to them.

and what happened to rap/hip-hop stinky leg? wth? that sounds plain stupid? the best artist I have heard for new hip-hop is a japanese dj named nujabes and he has some tabs on this site he has great riffs melodic and calmn but he died earlier this year

Again, you think it is dumb, others like it.

sucks seems like all the creaters of music and all the people who are true legends and make real music are dropping dead

Well, I am sure that all the creators of music are dead since the earth has been around 10 billion years?(I think thats right) They arn't immortal. And legends aren't supposed to be 1 generation... our kids(well mine) probably wont call the others legends because it will be 2 generations back. Well, they might but I mean, in THIS group right now... everyone 10-40 that is in music are possible options to be the legends of the next generation, its just a matter of getting the people with the given talent to get known... as far as we know there is someone better than [Insert Best Person At Whatever Here] because you will never know what all people can do.

now that I think about it very few legendary guitarist are still here we still have van halen and kirk from metallica

You should get your mind and listen to some of the contemporary guitarists... Your legends of this batch of Artists are going to be(Normally Mainstream Artists) John Mayer, Orianthi, Brad Paisley, Keith Urban, and some other people that I might not know, those are just some off my head.

but man music is slowly dying

It isn't dieing, it is like evolution, it adapts to the times.

I would rather listen to 1600's lute players then this crap

Well, then listen to it. Or be more open minded and listen to it. I mean I will come across songs I dont like and I will listen to it a few times and I like it.

My comments are bold. Just my 2 Cents.

Gear
Fender MIA Stratocaster
Fender MIK DG-11E
Pod Xt-Live Floor
Crate GFX-20 Amp

Quotes
Quote by sly fly
Unfortunateley, you seem to have an authentic MIM strat.
Alrighty I should do the good moderator thing and end this early.

For any other "pop music sucks" rants go to the pit or appropriate music forum.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud