I've been using the same 80 dollar Epiphone acoustic for about 3 years now, and I've decided it's time to step it up and get something more professional sounding and suitable for my needs. I want a guitar with a cutaway because I do a lot of high fret soloing, has to sound GREAT and professional unplugged, that's all that matters (even if it is acoustic-electric)
I've been looking around at a few guitars, and the only one that looks like it could POSSIBLY fit my needs is the Epiphone DR-500MCE - because it has a cutaway mainly and it fits very well in my price range (500-600) I've never played it but I will be going to guitar center soon to check it out and see how it sounds and if it's as good as it seems, but is there ANYTHING anyone would be willing to recommend that would be better than this acoustic in this price range?
Needs:
-Cutaway
-6 strings, not 12
-Great professional unplugged sound, even if it's an electric hybrid that will hold up in the studio
-Under $600

I'm usually a metal guitarist, but I like to play Don Ross/Andy Mckee style and Opeth style as well.

Thanks for the help guys
My Gear:
Peavey: 6505+
Bugera: 412h-bk
Schecter: C-1 Hellraiser
ISP: Decimator
Morley: Bad Horsie II
Boss: Hm-2
My first guitar was a Washburn D10SCEB acoustic electric that my mom got me 8 years ago for 200 bucks. I can honestly say that even though I severely dislike the looks of it (especially the headstock), it sure sounds amazing and competes well with the more expensive acoustics out there...especially now that the wood is starting to age. I still have it today and is my only acoustic as of right now but I'm ready to retire it and looking for a vintage Gibson acoustic. Try the Washburn for yourself and see if you like it and if you do, you'll have some extra money in the end.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-FGX730SC-Solid-Top-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=582169

We have a used one of these in the music store that I work at. It's a wonderful guitar for the money. I think it easily stacks up against a lot of other guitars in the same price range, as well as some in a few ranges higher.

I always figure if you can get the same quality guitar for less, why not go for it? It's definitely one of my recommendations.
"Here I sit, beneath a lonely line."

~iband48's signature
My Gear:
Peavey: 6505+
Bugera: 412h-bk
Schecter: C-1 Hellraiser
ISP: Decimator
Morley: Bad Horsie II
Boss: Hm-2
Quote by jonny6505+
Would you say either of these Takamine guitars are better than the Epiphone DR-500MCE?

never tried the Epiphones but the Takamines were really nice when I tried it. Go to a guitar store and try both and see which 1 u like.
another vote for the yamaha fgx730sc or maybe the masterbilt you mentioned. are they going to have a professional sound? no, but they will sound good. the masterbilt has the advantage of being all solid, the yamaha has a solid top, good sound and gloss finish. i find the yamahas to be more consistent qualitywise, as i've seen several masterbilts in stores with lifting bridges or belly bulge.

there's also this one, which you might like.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Seagull-Entourage-CW-Black-GT-QIT-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-105788004-i1535471.gc
solid cedar top, wider neck, and i've found seagull to be well built with a good sound. in fact, i've owned a couple of them.