I currently have a cheap Ibanez gio (which was given to me by a friend quite awhile ago). Atm, I have absolutely no idea what guitar I want to buy.

Since I'm a lefty, I've restrung it, however, I've not done any other modifications to it. The result is, is that even though it's a 'cheap' sounding guitar and initially sounds crap, it blatently sounds different than most guitars due to the reversed functions of the pickups. The bottom strings have a wobbly spaced feel to the sound and the top strings sound more 'pingy'. It surprisingly stays in tune quite well and I have no idea why, as I was assuming that this guitar should go out of tune alot, but it doesn't. I've not changed a thing on this thing.

The guitar sounds quite cool in my opinion and I would love to be able to carry this trait on my new guitar, which is why I think I might go for a righty. So, I have some questions:

1. What are the defining factors involved as to how well a guitar stays in tune? I'm aware that this is a factor in restrung righty guitars.

2. The guitar sound I want is something which is psychedelic, trippy and very jangly but also quite heavy. Think of The Verve's Nick Mccabe's guitar work on Storm in Heaven. Youtube 'The Verve Camden' to listen to there Camden gigs and you'll get a pretty rough idea of the sound I'm steering towards. I'm also a fan of symmetrically shaped guitar bodies (gibson 335, danelectro, rickenbacker etc). Dunno why, just think they look neat.

I have a budget of £300-600 but I'm sure I could find a way to push it if need be somehow

Thanks in advance for the help!

EDI tl;dr

Wanting to get a restrung righty guitar that sounds bent out on acid + coke!
Last edited by Blacknoise at Jul 4, 2010,
If you're going to take a righty and make it a lefty you're going to have to replace the nut, or at least reverse it if possible, don't you??

The bridge needs to be changed as well?

Or am I wrong? I don't know much
Hendrix did exactly the same thing... I don't think there should be a problem with it neck or tune wise... Cause if you look at ESP to Jackson headstocks that is basically what you're doing it really doesn't make too much difference.
But I think the nut might need changing to stop any rattling or buzz...
Go for a guitar thats reliable and one which has the same fret access from one side to the other... Maybe an SG?
"I've Been Imitated So Well I've Heard People Copy My Mistakes"- Jimi Hendrix

We're born to lose, so live to win
Bump!!!

I'll be getting quite abit of money over the next few months so I do need some help
If you like Ibanez, get another Ibanez with the similiar bridge, but of higher quality.
You have pics of your guitar, or the exact model name?
Jackson DK-2 [2004 MIJ] (EMG 81/SA)
Jackson RR-3 [2007 MIJ] (EMG 81/60)
Ibanez RG370DX [2009] (EMG 81/60)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom [2004] (EMG 81/85)
Ltd/Esp M-17 7-String [2013] (EMG 81-7 set)
Bugera 333XL 120watt Tube Head, Crate BV412 Cab
Quote by Chaz-6(sic)6
If you like Ibanez, get another Ibanez with the similiar bridge, but of higher quality.
You have pics of your guitar, or the exact model name?

Naw I don't sorry. Don't really want another Ibanez as I'm looking for something which is alot more jangly in tone and also has a symmetrical body shape (danelectro, sg etc).
Just to get a few things straight first...

You DO want a jangly tone, but also a heavy tone?

What kind of style of guitar do you think you'd want? Les Paul? Strat? SG? etc.

Do you want a trem? If so, vintage Fender style? Floyd Rose style?
Quote by slicerlml
Just to get a few things straight first...

You DO want a jangly tone, but also a heavy tone?

What kind of style of guitar do you think you'd want? Les Paul? Strat? SG? etc.

Do you want a trem? If so, vintage Fender style? Floyd Rose style?

Something with a double cut body. A trem would be nice but not necessery, since I suppose I could eventually install one if need be.

I was thinking maybe a danelectro 59 or this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gretsch-Electromatic-Double-Jet-Electric-Guitar-G5248T-/280477090791?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Guitar&hash=item414dbcc3e7
You can't just "install" a bridge in a guitar that wasn't routed for one. You can, but you'll wish you'd just gotten a new guitar in the first place when you get the bill.

Why don't you just get a strat? Sounds like what you're looking for.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Blacknoise
Something with a double cut body. A trem would be nice but not necessery, since I suppose I could eventually install one if need be.

I was thinking maybe a danelectro 59 or this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gretsch-Electromatic-Double-Jet-Electric-Guitar-G5248T-/280477090791?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Guitar&hash=item414dbcc3e7

Cool.

The Danelectros are pretty good. Don't think there are many/any options for left-handed though.

From the Lipstick pickups, you get a jangly tone, but even with gain away up and all the rest of it, it'll still sound like a Lipstick pickup....good, but not as thick as a humbucker, if that is the heavy sound you want.

If you reckon it's gonna give you the sound you want, you could possibly go for the right-handed Danelectro and get a guitar workshop to look at getting a left-handed nut on it and strap button installed on the other horn? You'd get the upside down pickup sound sorted out the box!
Why didn't I remember this one before.

Burns Brian May signature model - left-handed - £499
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=10799

Don't know how that sits with your budget but I reckon that'd be a stormer for what you are after, and it has a trem. You'd not need to see about the strap button or nut, but you could still see a guitar workshop about getting the pickups turned upside down.
Quote by slicerlml
Cool.

The Danelectros are pretty good. Don't think there are many/any options for left-handed though.

From the Lipstick pickups, you get a jangly tone, but even with gain away up and all the rest of it, it'll still sound like a Lipstick pickup....good, but not as thick as a humbucker, if that is the heavy sound you want.

If you reckon it's gonna give you the sound you want, you could possibly go for the right-handed Danelectro and get a guitar workshop to look at getting a left-handed nut on it and strap button installed on the other horn? You'd get the upside down pickup sound sorted out the box!

Sounds good!

I've just watched this video of a Danelectro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxCcJ1-7NpM

Also, I just found out that Syd Barrett used a Danelectro (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iA7wdO00VI&feature=PlayList&p=EE1B287ACC659EB2&playnext=1&index=5 - around 2.00)

After relistening to this for the first time in ages I'm pretty much convinced that getting a Danelectro will be a ****ing good move for me.

Cheers for the help!
Quote by Blacknoise
Sounds good!

I've just watched this video of a Danelectro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxCcJ1-7NpM

Also, I just found out that Syd Barrett used a Danelectro (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iA7wdO00VI&feature=PlayList&p=EE1B287ACC659EB2&playnext=1&index=5 - around 2.00)

After relistening to this for the first time in ages I'm pretty much convinced that getting a Danelectro will be a ****ing good move for me.

Cheers for the help!

Aye, definitely worth at least a look.

Check out reviews and the likes the guitars and see how other people have found them too. Without knowing of any specific problems, I reckon they should be pretty cool guitars.

Let us know how you get on in yer quest lol.

And, nae bother