I just brought a plunge router and I’m trying to set the depth for the pickup and control cavities but when I push the router bit all the way (I tried about half way in as well) in and set it to the lowest depth its still not deep enough. Do I have to get a longer router bit or what?

This is the router.

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=145919
I bought that router when I started the first attempt of my build. There shouldn't be a problem routing any of the required pockets or cavities for a guitar.

Below the depth guide, there's a stepped knob. Make sure you turn that knob round so the lowest step is underneath the guide.

What bits are you using?
I dont know what brand the bits are but in the box the bit i used is labled 'straight 8x6x9'. I also have a 'Hawk 15 pices router bit set that has some bits that dont fit at the moment but i have the part to make them fit. Also I had the step thing at the lowest setting and the plunge on the router was all the way down too.

Also I was testing the depth on a guitar body witch looks like the cavity is pretty deep but yeah.
Last edited by da_ at Jul 4, 2010,
I don't know why you can't get the depth, I've used this router myself to plane the gluing sides of a body blank (45mm deep).

How long are the router bit shafts and how far are you putting them into the router. All the bits I use have approx 1" shafts and all manufacturer recommendations I've seen say that you should have at least 3/4 of the shaft in the collet.

Not sure on those measurements as I usually buy bits with dimensions given in inches, but I use these for routing the body: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-4-TCT-ROUTER-BIT-TEMPLATE-CUTTER-1-2-X-1-X-1-2-/110480096996?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item19b9207ee4

And I've just bought a 3/8" diameter/1/2" depth/1" shaft template bit for my cavities/neck pocket. I'm using a Draper router now which has a maximum 50mm plunge, less than you're using and I've not had any problems.

If you're getting the full plunge depth then it might be the bits. Can you take a photo of the router with the bit in as it is when you used it?
Last edited by lostcreation333 at Jul 4, 2010,
The bit I was using is 1'' long the first time I used it I put the hole 1'' in just because I was testing I’m not sure how much i put in the second time probably about half. The whole length of the bit is 2". The cavity I was testing it on was 1" 6/16 (I think that’s the right measurements inches are confusing lol) It wasn’t far off reaching but I’m fussy and just making sure I didn’t get the wrong router witch it sounds like I didn’t.
I have some pictures but there not very good quality. One is of the router all the way up and the other is all the way down but i dont know how to post them
If the bit is 1" long you shouldnt have any trouble routing cavities. Read the manual and make sure you are plunging it too its full capacity.

Also make sure you keep at least half the shaft in the collet at all times, if you cant get the depth buy a longer bit, dont risk the accident.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by da_
The bit I was using is 1'' long the first time I used it I put the hole 1'' in just because I was testing I’m not sure how much i put in the second time probably about half. The whole length of the bit is 2". The cavity I was testing it on was 1" 6/16 (I think that’s the right measurements inches are confusing lol) It wasn’t far off reaching but I’m fussy and just making sure I didn’t get the wrong router witch it sounds like I didn’t.
I have some pictures but there not very good quality. One is of the router all the way up and the other is all the way down but i dont know how to post them

The bit you're using is fine so I'm really not sure why you can't get the depth... Are you using a template? If so. how thick is it? Are you removing the template once the bearing is running under it - the bearing is actually using the cavity wall as a guide? If you take the template off at this point, however thick your template is, you will gain that thickness in your plunge depth. Does that make sense?

Just make sure the collet is clearing the body! If the collet comes in contact with the body, you'll burn a nasty ridge into it.
Last edited by lostcreation333 at Jul 4, 2010,
I wasn’t using a template I wasn’t routing anything ether I was just testing how far it goes down. It probably goes far enough down it just didn’t go as far as the body I was testing it on did. I’m probably just being to fussy. Thanks for the help.