BAM!

What is it?

Ahhh, a nice old Traynor YT-15, a 2x15" cab from the late 60s. It's built like a tank and is surprisingly light. I got it for a pretty sweet price since it doesn't work for some reason, but it's in tip-top shape for its age. I'll explain my plans a bit later, let's crack the back, shall we?

Cool mojo cloth-covered wires! The cab is a sealed design and I got it primarily for bass use, but I will definitely be using it for guitar as well once I fix it up. Since sealed cabs aren't very good for bass, I will be getting rid of the original Marsland speakers and porting it (also modding the wood dividing the inside in two). I plan on buying a nice new 15" speaker and turning it into a big, ported single 15" cab. I'll put the speaker in the top slot and use the bottom slot to port the cab. Then it will be a sweet cab for bass and guitar.

Here is what it will look like for my bassing and some guitaring later on with my aging Acoustic 140 head for some sweet vintage toanz.

I'll update this thread when I begin working on the modifications.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Last edited by Dr.Pain-MD at Jul 4, 2010,
What are you planning to do to the divider shelf?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZFNQK1oto8
Freaking lol, Ryan.

Quote by Cathbard
What are you planning to do to the divider shelf?

I'll probably cut some or all of it out to "bridge" the two halves. I'm not exactly sure yet since this is the only part that I'm uncertain about.

Quote by nightraven

that cab is herculean

Yep, it's pretty big. It's not as big as a lot of other bass 2x15"s, but it's still pretty hefty. It's really light for it's size though which was really surprising since it's built like a tank out of nice wood which vintage Traynors are known for. This was a relief to my buddy and I when I got it because we had to lug it all the way across town on two busses and the skytrain to get it to my house.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
I'll probably cut some or all of it out to "bridge" the two halves. I'm not exactly sure yet since this is the only part that I'm uncertain about.

I wouldn't bother, just treat each side as separate cabinets.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I wouldn't bother, just treat each side as separate cabinets.

No, I'll have to do something with it since I'll be optimizing it for bass use which will need the volume of the whole cab so that the port and speaker can have the proper volume and so that they can share the air inside the cab. For a bass cab, the two compartments are on the small side for most 15" speakers, especially since it's originally a sealed cab (no ports).

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Yeah, I love 15"s with guitar. My other amp is another old Traynor, a YBA-4 combo with a single 15" and it sounds wonderful. Big speakers sound so full which is really awesome.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣