Page 1 of 2
TL;DR: Metalcore, mid price, EMG, no tremolo.

Like the title says, I have extremely frustrating tastes in guitars. I'm looking for a new guitar, obviously. I play modern metal, like KSE (if you are faint hearted, don't read on) a Fender Starter kit. That means single coils, and a 10 watt starter kit amp. I've been playing on that for probably 6 years now. For the past about...6 months..I've been looking for a new guitar. If you can find me something that abides to the following, you deserve something amazing.

-EMG Active pickups. To me, the sound of these blow away everything else I've heard. The guitar can NOT deviate from at least an 81 in the bridge position. I could care less about the neck, 60 or 85.

-NO TREMOLO OF ANY KIND. I've found guitars that are perfect for me, but they have a tremolo. I have never used a tremolo for anything. Ever. I change tunings from E standard, to Drop D, to D Standard, to Drop C very frequently.

-It has to fit my price range. $500 is pushing it. This ties in to my tremolo specification, any type of Floyd Rose seems to make the price soar. (Guitars that fit into my price range when USED are fine.)

-I don't really care about the body shape. I've tried V's, Les Paul shapes, and Strat shapes. Just as long as it's not something stupid, like a BC Rich. I really like the look and feel of V's though.

-I'd prefer if the neck is thin and designed around shredding.

The guitar I've been contemplating recently is this, it has an EMG 81/85 set up, no tremolo, and fits my price range. The only thing that bugs me is the fact that it doesn't look all too..metal. The horns on the body are smoothed, and the headstock isn't pointy. This is just a minor thing, but if anyone else can find a guitar with my specifications, (especially a V shaped one) I will love you until the day that I die.

OH, And while you're here, could you suggest a cheap amp that ISN'T trash for my specifications?
Last edited by Aturaya at Jul 4, 2010,
ESP LTD EC 400 not sure about if it has EMG or second hand ESP LTD EC 1000. Every guitarist has frustrating guitar tastes bdw.
JUST ANOTHER ANNOYING BIG STATUS
I have a Vintage metal axxe reaper, I'd recommend that personally. Mine still has the stock parts to it, but they're easy enough to switch out, I'm sure.
Quote by ibrahimasood
ESP LTD EC 400 not sure about if it has EMG or second hand ESP LTD EC 1000. Every guitarist has frustrating guitar tastes bdw.

Those are out of my range. (new) Maybe secondhand off of eBay or something would work, and yes, they do have EMGs.
Quote by Aturaya
Those are out of my range. (new) Maybe secondhand off of eBay or something would work, and yes, they do have EMGs.

Just discovered that the ESP LTD EC 400 is discontinued. But if you Ebay hard, you might find some there.
JUST ANOTHER ANNOYING BIG STATUS
peavey vyper 30 for metal?
Quote by TheQuailman
I wish my amp sucked on my knob.

if you were to smash a child around the head with a full bottle of no more tears shampoo...would it be ironic if they cried
Quote by ibrahimasood
Just discovered that the ESP LTD EC 400 is discontinued. But if you Ebay hard, you might find some there.

Oh, I didn't realize that I was looking at an EC-401 on guitar center. I guess I'm going to have to search a bit.
Quote by TorturedSoul666
Why what's wrong with BC Rich?

I just don't like what they seem to be doing to people. It's a cult, I swear. There's a whole load of bad players at my school with B.C. Rich guitars that are all trash, but they all seem boast on and on about how "awesome" their guitar looks.
...how is your guitar taste frustrating? what you described is available in abundance in a ton of different 'metal' shapes.

look at mid range esp/ltd, jackson, washburn and schecter. also, you might want to consider saving up a bit more if you can't find what you're looking for at your budget.
A ESP LTD V-300 if you can afford the extra $79.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Last edited by dark Mass at Jul 4, 2010,
Quote by Aturaya
I just don't like what they seem to be doing to people. It's a cult, I swear. There's a whole load of bad players at my school with B.C. Rich guitars that are all trash, but they all seem boast on and on about how "awesome" their guitar looks.

Then don't buy a shit one like they seemed to have done, BTW BC Rich makes strat shapes, V shapes, and a nice LP configured Mockingbird and a model called the Exclusive, looks sorta like an LP double cutaway with the top "horn" longer than the bottom one.

Personally I'd look for an Exclusive used and a set of EMGs used, it'll save you a little extra cash for that amp.
Quote by haz_uk
...how is your guitar taste frustrating? what you described is available in abundance in a ton of different 'metal' shapes.

look at mid range esp/ltd, jackson, washburn and schecter. also, you might want to consider saving up a bit more if you can't find what you're looking for at your budget.

That's the thing. I have looked through pages and PAGES of guitars by ESP and Jackson, I linked to a Schecter in my post. All the ones that are low priced don't have EMGs, and all the ones that have EMGs seem to have a Floyd Rose.
Quote by TorturedSoul666
They make something called a Tremel-no, you could always just block the floyd.

But I'm still paying so much more for the tremolo..
Quote by the_perdestrian
get a cheap guitar and add EMGs?

I guess that's an option..would I have any issues with compatibility or something? -idiot-
Last edited by Aturaya at Jul 4, 2010,
Quote by philipk
epiphone prophecy les paul ex?

Price range again. Unless I can find a mint one off of eBay, it's not gonna happen. And that guitar seems just right for me too.
wait a couple of months and then get it, if it really is exactly what you want
2nd hand Jackson DKMGT?
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
Used ESP LTD MH-***NT + Used EMG 81 & 81/85/60 = awesomesauce
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
if you want the les paul prophecy, then save up and buy that in a month or two. like you said, you've played a fender starter kit for like six years, whats another month or two?
That Schecter you picked looked awesome i'd go with that and save up for a good amp that suites you instead of rushing with a amp that you dont like or that doesnt sound good
go with the schecter!!!! they make amazing instuments. but i dont know what you mean by 'not looking metal'. its like the two types of horror movies. the ones that are scary by being extremely gory, and the ones that are scary by not showing you much and letting your imagination go to work. schecters are the latter
Quote by valterra
You traded him a sword for the guitar? You do realize that a smart person would just agree to the trade, take the sword, slay you with it, keep all of the loot and call it a day, right?

....What are they teaching you kids in school these days?!
I've got a Schecter Hellraiser that I bought used for $500 at GC's website. It's just perfect and versatile too, the EMG's are just fine though not quite as shining as I'd like on the cleans. The gain is excellent though. And personally, I think it's the better-looking out of other Schecters if you want something "metal-looking". Plus, I get the impression that most Schecter owners take good care of them, so if you bought a used one it wouldn't be a problem; mine was pristine, even more so than the used Fender I just bought.

http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgear/index.cfm?page=1&sort=price&dir=asc&srch&q=schecter hellraiser&startZip=&distance=100

That could help you some. Peace
Quote by Jackal58
I eat dead meat all the time. You don't have to chase it around your plate and it doesn't try to peck your eyes out.

It Happens.

My Gear:

-Custom Fender MIM Black Strat
-Mesa/Boogie Rect-O-Verb
-Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Last edited by EvilAngel93 at Jul 4, 2010,
To be honest with you, if you want a better sound, at least spend a fair amount on an amp, its basically most of your sound. And EMG'S sound really muddy and crappy through cheap solid state amps.. If I were you, I'd get a tube amp, like a Bugera, or even Peavey, (used if you have to) then save for a guitar.
Seriously, Amp>Guitar in the grand scheme of things. A good amp will make that crappy single coil guitar sound like a beast. And when you get a better guitar, you are really rocking then.
Quote by Lollage123
To be honest with you, if you want a better sound, at least spend a fair amount on an amp, its basically most of your sound. And EMG'S sound really muddy and crappy through cheap solid state amps.. If I were you, I'd get a tube amp, like a Bugera, or even Peavey, (used if you have to) then save for a guitar.
Seriously, Amp>Guitar in the grand scheme of things. A good amp will make that crappy single coil guitar sound like a beast. And when you get a better guitar, you are really rocking then.

Normally, I'd agree with you. But he's been playing the same crappy guitar for 6 years, so a new guitar would probably keep him more interested in guitar anyway. I bet he'll get a usable tone till he finds an amp anyway.

EDIT:

Just to be a help, look around the LTD 401 range, you'll probably find a fair few guitars there. Maybe a bit over budget though, but they're worth it.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Last edited by Lil Macker at Jul 4, 2010,
Don't get a guitar with active pickups if you're scrounging for a cheap amp too. It will end up producing a whiney, tinny mess. You really don't want to touch actives until you are in a position to buy an amp that has the headroom to cope with them.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Take a look at Daisy Rock guitars. They’re Shecter guitars with different paint jobs and thinner necks. They’re marketed to teenage girls, but I honestly think they look better than most of Schecter’s emo paint jobs.
Quote by Arterial
Buy a used/ebayed schecter hellraiser.

your tastes are not that frustrating.

this + 99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999
Save up and get the guitar you really want if so many ones slightly out of your range would be "just perfect for you" Also, as some people have said, if you decide to spend less than you would for that "just perfect" guitar or the cheaper guitar you decide to buy instead, buy a good amp too, because apparently thats a huge deal, i havent got an electric yet but people here know their stuff haha i've noticed
Page 1 of 2