Hey guys.....i've been playing guitar for 11 months...

Okay, i've a problem with my finger anatomy..

when i first grab guitar (i used classical guitar)
The problem is that when I barre all of the six strings, i mute the G string..
I just notice this when i played minor chords...
I fixed the problem easily, i just move my index a libit higher so the G string ring clearly..
But then my D string will be muted, but no problem since D string will be played using other fingers...

Then i got my electric guitar, then i had the problem again, but i managed to pass it with the same trick..

I've no problem with finger strength, i can play hotel california on classical guitar or electric (without capo) fine by just barre it on 7th fret and move it so it'll ring clearly without a string muted..Romance de amor ust fine without string muted, and i can just sightread all of those chord and play it fine and fast without problem (ofc except all of those jazz sus9b7,add9b13 complicated like chord)

and i just successfully adapt that style of playing so i'll never have a string muted when i barre...(depending on the fingering of the chord, just move my finger higher or lower)...

Recently i tried some jazzz stuff..i can do basic 7, maj7, 9, maj9 fine..but then i got some sus dim aug etc...really hard chord fingering....and i can playe it fine but not really good when i play it with classical guitar (hell, who can make a C or G shape barre on classical??i can do it but it just sound.....bad)..but yes i can do it fine on electric....

my question is will that become problem in the future???esp. in jazz chord???(well i think it'll be problem when i try to play open tuning..but not really big problem)...

also anyone can suggest me some solo (or whhole soing to practice??the hardest rock song that i can play (whole song) now is Smoke on the water and stairway to heaven..and plz no WAH becos i dont have it...........

TQ
Quote by kenz.94
Hey guys.....i've been playing guitar for 11 months...

Okay, i've a problem with my finger anatomy..

when i first grab guitar (i used classical guitar)
The problem is that when I barre all of the six strings, i mute the G string..
I just notice this when i played minor chords...
I fixed the problem easily, i just move my index a libit higher so the G string ring clearly..
But then my D string will be muted, but no problem since D string will be played using other fingers...

Then i got my electric guitar, then i had the problem again, but i managed to pass it with the same trick..

I've no problem with finger strength, i can play hotel california on classical guitar or electric (without capo) fine by just barre it on 7th fret and move it so it'll ring clearly without a string muted..Romance de amor ust fine without string muted, and i can just sightread all of those chord and play it fine and fast without problem (ofc except all of those jazz sus9b7,add9b13 complicated like chord)

and i just successfully adapt that style of playing so i'll never have a string muted when i barre...(depending on the fingering of the chord, just move my finger higher or lower)...

Recently i tried some jazzz stuff..i can do basic 7, maj7, 9, maj9 fine..but then i got some sus dim aug etc...really hard chord fingering....and i can playe it fine but not really good when i play it with classical guitar (hell, who can make a C or G shape barre on classical??i can do it but it just sound.....bad)..but yes i can do it fine on electric....

my question is will that become problem in the future???esp. in jazz chord???(well i think it'll be problem when i try to play open tuning..but not really big problem)...

also anyone can suggest me some solo (or whhole soing to practice??the hardest rock song that i can play (whole song) now is Smoke on the water and stairway to heaven..and plz no WAH becos i dont have it...........

TQ

Look at the contour of your finger - Notice the larger muscle below the middle joint? Thats the reason it happens try rolling your finger towards one side or the other to resolve the muting. After playing for a while your fingers will tone up - which might be unexpected... But they do have muscles and fat on them so the more you work them the more muscle they gain and fat they lose.. Keep at it!

Learn "The kids arent alright" by the offspring, its got a fun feel to it and its not to monotonous. =) Also perhaps try "Days of the Phoenix" by AFI.
Last edited by Silvanarix at Jul 4, 2010,
Quote by Silvanarix
Look at the contour of your finger - Notice the larger muscle below the middle joint? Thats the reason it happens try rolling your finger towards one side or the other to resolve the muting. After playing for a while your fingers will tone up - which might be unexpected... But they do have muscles and fat on them so the more you work them the more muscle they gain and fat they lose.. Keep at it!

Learn "The kids arent alright" by the offspring, its got a fun feel to it and its not to monotonous. =) Also perhaps try "Days of the Phoenix" by AFI.

yup, i already roll my finger..try to read my full post
until now i've no problem,but,are there any problem that can screw me in the future
I use both C shape and G shape barres in classical. They're needed for a lot of songs.

If you're adapting successfully, then you'll have no problem in the future, because eventually you'll stop muting any of the strings - a little exercise to see if I'm muting anything is to just slide the index finger in a full barre - and the more you practice the better you'll get, there's not much to add to that if you're doing progress.

As for songs...
Canon in D from Pachelbel has some C barres;
Thunderstruck played in classical is a good challenge for improving technique on the left hand, which you'll need for changing chords faster;
And try some blues.
When I do barre chords, I sometimes mute the G string as well. I put more effort to stop that mistake, and sometimes I get not to mute it. You just have to be careful, and monitorize wether you are muting the string or not.
Quote by kenz.94
yup, i already roll my finger..try to read my full post
until now i've no problem,but,are there any problem that can screw me in the future

Oh I did =P You said you shift position of your finger up or down accordingly and inadvertently muting a different string. So i said try rolling your finger - which is not in your post.. read it!
OK, I think understand what you're saying, but...

Quote by kenz.94

...how far exactly is one "libit"?

There are no muscles in your fingers, the ones that control the movement live in your hands.

Always make sure your fingers is right next to the fret along it's length, and sometimes you'll almost feel like the finger is bending backwards on itself (rather than curving the normal way) when barring.

It's not "toning" that happens; sometimes the skin on your finger changes shape as you form harder skin where you're in contact with the strings.

Hope that helps.