Hi!
I believe it is very important to have clear set up goals in order to improve yourself in the fastest way, so I thought it would be a good idea to create a thread where we share our goals as a musician to inspire each other and give each other ideas .

I'll start:

Short-term goal:
Get my alt. picking speed to 16th notes at 140 BPM.
Get rid of my bad habits.
Learn to recognize every interval, both descending and ascending, on musictheory.com's ear trainer.

Long-term goals:
Learn to sing.
Learn to sing while playing guitar.
Join a band.
Get my technique to a level where I can play most solos up to speed.
Being able to, without too much effort, transcribe most songs.

Ultimate Goal:
Master the guitar, meaning having such good technique and ear to be able to play anything I hear in my head almost instantaneously, including any song I hear on the radio.

Your turn!
You'll Never Walk Alone!
short term write this one song im stuck on

long term be able to play everything i want to play

ultimate goal
open a coffee shop
it doesnt have to be guitar related does it?
Probably just get to the point where I love the sounds i make with a guitar rather than just think they are cool.
I guess I don't really have such a short term goal, however:

Long-term goals:
Be a pro jazz player.
Be a pro flamecno player.
Be a pro neo-classical player
have my own guitar room/ recording room.
Learn to sing.

Ultimate Goal:
Master the guitar!

TS: it's really good to have and keep these goals good luck.
JUST ANOTHER ANNOYING BIG STATUS
Become a composer for Video games/Film/TV/anything.

Failing that: Orchestrator

Failing that: Teach in a college
My only real goal is to be "as one" with my guitar. Sort of like driving my car, where you don't really think about what you are doing, as it's mostly instinctive.

As I've only had lessons for about 6 months this goal is a long way off, so short term I aim to improve steadily every day with music reading, technique, different styles and learning songs I love.
My ultimate goal is to join a band eventually, and get really good, really popular. Change the face of music as we know it. No more Lady gaga, Lil Wayne and all that. I want to revolutionize music again, like what Metallica did.

Ultimately I want to be the Next Metallica or Megadeth.
To be rich and famous and have everyone love me and cherish me and be remembered all over the world for thousands of years and have a big statue in my honour in every town hall...

Just kiddin', I wanna give someone that warm fuzzy feeling that I get from other peoples music. If I can do that for one person and enrich their lives in some way then i'll be happy
short term
get enough songs done for my bands album (around three more)
release and independent album
gig

long term
increase my vocal skills
develop my own unique style
make enough money to live off of just music
Quote by herby190
When I saw that, I thought of musical notes.... my elementary school teachers taught them as "tee-tees" "ta-tas" and a bunch of other nonsense....
Short Term:

Get a F*cking Band
Lose some F*cking weight
Get A F*cking Electric guitar

Long Term:

Write quality stuff
Learn how to sing
Learn how to sing AND play guitar(preferably in the style of singer quits 15 seconds before show, I get in and rock the house down)
Be signed to Roadrunner

Ultimate Goal:

Reinvent Music. Ride the NWOAHM Wave and blast it all to popularity.
Become One with the guitar
DIE IN A PLANE CRASH

LIKE A BOSS
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Short Term:

Memorize the fretboard
Play well in the Church band
Play well in the High School marching band

Long Term:

Sing well
Join a band
Become good at guitar

Ultimate Goal:

Become a boss at singing and guitar at the same time while be incredible good at improvising anything so I can be in the most popular math rock/mathcore band ever!
Short Term:

Heal my hands

Long Term:

Find a band and make kickass music

Ultimate Goal:

Become Supreme Universal Overlord of Music
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
Short term:
Learn all the 7th arppegios
Learn some jazz Standards

Long term
get good a t jazz
Go to univesty for music

Ultimate goal
To make money playing guitar
To be happy with my playing
short term:
improve my chops
'forget' shapes and CAGED
get better at bop playing
expand my repetoire (right now im alternating ii-V-ey jazz standards with more modern tunes)
get better at reading
get into good ensembles at school
transcribe as many solos off of Christian Scotts Anthem album as I can this summer.

long term
work professionaly as a guitarist
have my own teaching studio/work part time at a college. teach my students well.
Short Term:

To find a practice style that suits me (almost there I think)

Long Term Goal

To improve in the areas of technique, aural, theory, reading and just making better music (or music that appeals to me and others) and to change peoples perception away from categories and "good" and "bad" sounds.

ThrashKing: I would't wish being the next metallica on anyone : P (no but seriously, what's wrong with Lady GaGa or Little Wayne? They may not make music as technical or bt00tal as you, but they still make music/sound. Why the pop music hate?

I'd really like to get heavily into flamenco and indian music as well. Ultimatley, I'd love to have as much expressive quality with music and guitar as I do with my voice.

I'd also really love to become profficient at piano and sax
goals.

A) own a blues club.
B) Be famous for playing guitar
C) have a personal recording studio.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
Short terms:
Learn Nothing Else Matters solo, I know little bit now, but it isn´t as good as I want
Learn as much chords as I can

Long terms:
Improve my technique
Master the fretboard
Create a band

Ultimate terms:
Bring back real music to radio and television
Short Term
--------------
Get my keyboard sound down for my band
Get a rhythm section for my band

Long Term
--------------
Play loads of gigs
Write more wicked albums

Dreams
--------------
Play big festivals in evening slots
Make a living with the band
Short term:

Start to busk. Take my music to the masses! Even if they aren't really listening, and dropping buttons in my guitar case. It is the beginning.

Long term:

Go back to uni and find a band in the music society, get a singer and a drummer and start doing cover gigs.

Also get my grade 8 rockschool.

Ultimate goal:

Be writing me own songs with a band and gigging frequently, enough to make a good amount of money through playing. (So I don't have to have a normal job...)

Failing this my back-up us to teach.
If you can't do... teach. Haha, but atleast I'll be teaching what I love.
And that's better than any non-guitar related job.
Quote by jesse music
Short Term:

To find a practice style that suits me (almost there I think)

Long Term Goal

To improve in the areas of technique, aural, theory, reading and just making better music (or music that appeals to me and others) and to change peoples perception away from categories and "good" and "bad" sounds.

ThrashKing: I would't wish being the next metallica on anyone : P (no but seriously, what's wrong with Lady GaGa or Little Wayne? They may not make music as technical or bt00tal as you, but they still make music/sound. Why the pop music hate?

I'd really like to get heavily into flamenco and indian music as well. Ultimatley, I'd love to have as much expressive quality with music and guitar as I do with my voice.

I'd also really love to become profficient at piano and sax

Okay heres the deal, I wouldnt "hate" on them if it wasnt so mainstream. What I mean is that All you hear people talk today about and whats on TV, is about the mainstream music. I think that the only reason people listen to stuff like that, is because its the ONLY thing they ever hear about.
I want heavy metal and rock to be mainstream again, for one: it takes more talent to actually play music rather than to sing or make a beat. With music today, most of the "music" is made using computers with the sounds already made for the artists to use. To me, thats just being lazy.
You make fair points, but Avant Garde has always been less mainstream that rock and metal.
I don't think its a matter of getting rid of pop music, just of widening the publics perception to accept and freely listen to all types of music. I will agree that the popular music industry along with radio is in a bad place, not because of what's coming out, but because of what's not coming in.
Short Term:
Get better and better at chordal improvisation and finally get rid of scales

Long term:
Long term dreams make you rigid, I'd rather be fluid.

Quote by ThrashKing
Okay heres the deal, I wouldnt "hate" on them if it wasnt so mainstream. What I mean is that All you hear people talk today about and whats on TV, is about the mainstream music. I think that the only reason people listen to stuff like that, is because its the ONLY thing they ever hear about.
I want heavy metal and rock to be mainstream again, for one: it takes more talent to actually play music rather than to sing or make a beat. With music today, most of the "music" is made using computers with the sounds already made for the artists to use. To me, thats just being lazy.

Has it ever occurred to you that bands like Metallica were the ONLY thing people ever heard about during those years? It's an endless cycle of mainstream, 15-20 years from now Lady Gaga will be in the same spot metallica is in. Granted, yeah the music is different but it's the same concept.

About the comment concerning the use of computers, I can tell you've never seen the real power of what a computer can do in regards to building sounds. Sure some people like those cookie cutter presets the same way Metallica likes the same old boring progressions. These are all based on degrees, someone who takes their extreme amount of time to build a sound on a computer could have more "artistic integrity" than a wanking guitard who just plays I IV Vs.
Short Term:
* Get my sweeping closer to my alt. pick speed (alt. picking speed is sixteenth at 210)
* Clean up my string skipping
* Clean up pretty much everything else at least a little XD

Long Term:
* Get in a band

Ultimate Goal:
Live life and have fun. I don't plan on making a career out of being a guitar player as I want to eventually get married and have a family but I'm never going to quit playing.
Interesting how many that wanna change todays music...
Anyone else sense another, much needed, Rock Wave coming?
You'll Never Walk Alone!
I certainly do see rock coming back with all the guitar hero and rock band games coming out might help with encouraging this and introducing people to that side of music. I have to say I'm a big rock fan so this is really welcome, not many recent bands have particularly inspired me so it would be nice to see that change.
I write a few songs here and there that I imagine being a GNR/Skid Row/ACDC style and my goal is simply to bring that genre back.
Quote by Muffinz
Interesting how many that wanna change todays music...
Anyone else sense another, much needed, Rock Wave coming?

There's probably going to be some extremely complex improvisational music including computers akin to what jazz did to the pop music back then. That will probably get to be too much for the mainstream and recede back to what rock was back then.

I doubt anything will ever sound or be like rock anymore unless there is some purist revival, why be limited to it when you have a computer? Have you ho everoked a guitar to a computer?, not only with effects but with midi pups or plugins you can manage to literally make any sound out of your guitar.
Short term:

Make music that I find beautiful and enjoy making

Long term:

Make music that I find beautiful and enjoy making
Quote by unp-ben
I have to say I'm a big rock fan so this is really welcome, not many recent bands have particularly inspired me so it would be nice to see that change.

You need to listen to some Indie then
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOFxb0F2F2A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7OQurPd1hg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTo5pBEg7ts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7lhOQDGEBU&feature=related
To make myself and other people happy with the music I create. Nothing more, nothing less.
Short term: Try to find some band members

Long term: Try to scrape a living as a jazz fusion musician
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
HeavyReverb = Hero of The Pit 2010.