Hey guys

I have a marshall avt 100, and I have realised how Sh*t the distortion really is. I'm not in a band atm, but probably will be again soon. So I want to get meself a tube amp, that could do small gigs if needs be and still sound good at lower volumes in my bedroom.
My playing styles are Rock, Hard rock and a bit of metal, so I want it to be able to take distortion pedals well.

My budget is around £300, but I could maybe stretch to £400 if it was really worth it.

Also This won't bother me to much, but how often is it advised to change the tubes, I play for at least 30 mins a day, and more at weekends. Also around how much would this cost every time if I get my local music technicion to do it ( just an approximation in GBP)
I have a fender strat hw1 hss guitar. and a boss Gt-8 multi effects.

So what amp in this budget range would accompany my guitar and gt-8 well, and my future distortion pedals?
Marshall DSL401.
Been immensely pleased with mine since I got it few years ago. There are some good second hand ones around for your budget. If you can stretch to it I would advise changing the speaker to something a bit better but other than that, really great amp.
The on-board distortion will handle what you want with at least a good EQ.

My local shop charge a labour rate of £50/hour with a re-tube and re-bias costing me about £100 if I supply the tubes. I try and get it looked over once every 12-18 months along with my guitar (not necessarily re-tubed though) and play most days for an hour or so, more at weekends.
Gibson Les Paul Studio // BKP Nailbombs
Dean Performer Key Largo

Marshall JVM215C
Fulltone Octafuzz
Dunlop ZW-Wah
Last edited by JEEtoP at Jul 4, 2010,
have a look at the blackstar ht-20, it's very versatile, and should be plenty loud enough for what you want, and you shouldn't ever need to change the tubes
Bugera ?
Schecter Blackjack ATX C-1 FR
Schecter Hellraiser C-7
PRS Custom 24
SX Strat

Peavey 6505+
BUGERA 333XL
Laney LA412 Cab
Marshall AVT100 (Living at my friends place :P )
Good boy. You're developing an ear. I agree Valvestate amps are total garbage, you may as well own an MG.

When on a budget like that go straight to the used Market. In the UK I'd be looking for used JCMs or Laneys.

Power valves last a year or two, preamps about twice that (or even more). It is wise to learn how to bias your own amp. It varies from amp to amp but it's usually not that hard.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Bugera??? All really good... If you want a JCM900 good copy look at the Bugera 1990... If you want a high-gain amp look at the 6262, 6260 or 333XL. Quality on a budget
"I've Been Imitated So Well I've Heard People Copy My Mistakes"- Jimi Hendrix

We're born to lose, so live to win
Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
Bugera??? All really good... If you want a JCM900 good copy look at the Bugera 1990... If you want a high-gain amp look at the 6262, 6260 or 333XL. Quality on a budget

And they keep you warm when they catch fire.

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard

Zinggggg

In the UK you can probably find a used JCM900 for the price of the Bugeras quite easily.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by Cathbard

Nice, yeah
A bugera is an amp on a budget and since spring 2009 they haven't been a problem.
You're obviously a guy thats jumped on the band wagon without an opinion... So off you go now, join the rest of the sheep

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
Nice, yeah
A bugera is an amp on a budget and since spring 2009 they haven't been a problem.
You're obviously a guy thats jumped on the band wagon without an opinion... So off you go now, join the rest of the sheep

Here we go....
Dean Performer Key Largo

Marshall JVM215C
Fulltone Octafuzz
Dunlop ZW-Wah
Quote by JEEtoP
Here we go....

Sorry I'm not trying to start anything I just hate it when people jump on the wagon without an opinion... I bought a line 6 spider III a year or 2 ago.. Now i am a full hater because I own one and have an opinion

I take your point but how do we know Cathbard hasn't got a basis for his opinion?

Then again, it could just be... you know... a joke...?

EDIT: Actually quite a funny one, I thought
Dean Performer Key Largo

Marshall JVM215C
Fulltone Octafuzz
Dunlop ZW-Wah
Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
Nice, yeah

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to confuddle you. It's called a joke. Maybe you should investigate the concept. I think Wikipedia has an entry, perhaps under humor.

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Ah shit woops. Didn't even think...
Well... Don't i look a dick now haha

what percentage of rock, hard rock and metal do you play, and what do you mean by those three genres?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
what percentage of rock, hard rock and metal do you play, and what do you mean by those three genres?

I love stuff like Avenged sevenfold, but i also remembered I play stuff like Blink and SUm 41, but I prefer a bit heavier stuff.
ok, mainly heavier stuff then.

take a look at bugeras (haven't tried), peavey 6505 112combo (i've tried the american-made ones), and the new jet cities (also haven't tried lol) and egnater tweaker. Based on what I'm hearing, the jet cities or egnater tweaker might be the pick, though with your budget you might be stuck to the 20 watt jet cities which might not get heavy enough.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Blackstar HT-5

I hope the 5W isn't a limitation, but in that price range a 5 watter will get a better sound unless you go 2nd hand.

BTW, I'm also in the UK, on a similar budget and going to get this amp! I'm also going for the head if that helps.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Bugeras have some serious reliability issues going on...

I'm not a fanboy, but this is the truth. Marshall AVT series is a hybrid and you wont find many lower tier tube amps that will beat it. Hard Rock, Heavy Metal and Blues are its strong points. Mine sounds lousy with cheap stock pups..but with after market pickups my guitars sound great. EMG active/passive, BKP's, SD's are my pups. My cab is a 1960 straight.

The Valveking will feel like HDSS...for all tube..it doesnt have enough headroom for metal and industrial players that need to bring the heat. For players that need serious distortion and sustain..it doesnt really distance itself from SS amps enough to justify the price tag.

You listed some bands with tones the AVT should be good enough to practice with. I can get BLS and Slayer out of mine.

What kind of guitar, cab and pickups are you using at the moment.
I say get what you can out of it until you get a dsl or used jcm.

The 6505 needs nothing to drive it any harder..it makes me wonder about your setup.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Jul 11, 2010,
Check out the Bugera V22. I played one side by side with an AC15 ($200 more) and it put it to shame as far as versatiliy. Plus it has an effects loop.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
lolwut, the avt is better than some lower tier tube amps now?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
lolwut, the avt is better than some lower tier tube amps now?

There are Class B A/B amps that will be better investments for some players until they can afford something better.

Some players would do better with a SS and saving up for a nicer Class A...
rather than spending over half the price of a nice Class a and outgrow it within a year's time.

Class A is not always the end of the story. There are many factors that all contribute to what a player actually needs. It can help newer players from wasting a lot of money trying to find their long term rig.
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Jul 12, 2010,
lolwut?

i mean, i know the cheaper single-enders aren't exactly aimed at modern metal, but you can get decent high gain tube amps for not all that much now. I know i hated my avt, it was horrible.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The jet city jca20h is a great affordable all tube amp, but it doesn't have enough gain for heavier stuff. You will need a boost pedal or overdrive to get enough gain.

Washburn X50PRO FE (GuitarHeads active bridge pickup)
Dean Vendetta XM
Jet City JCA20H head, w Eminence Texas Heat 12"
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
Ibanez TS7
DigiTech RP-255
Behringer VD1 (Big Muff PI clone)
Quote by tronester
The jet city jca20h is a great affordable all tube amp, but it doesn't have enough gain for heavier stuff. You will need a boost pedal or overdrive to get enough gain.

I was on exactly the same situation as you were and i mean the same situation.

same budget, same style and same dilema

I now decided to buy a Jet City JCA2112RC ( The Jet City 20 watt combo) all i need now is to sell one of my guitars and i'm done.

I would buy it off andertons but email them saying to lower the price saying you found a lower price because thomann have it lower but i've heard bad reviews about thomann so thats why i decided to email Andertons.

I emailed them and they gave me a price of £316

It's hard to find money when your 14, and it also doesnt help when i spent most of it before deciding to buy a new amp
Last edited by MM14 at Jul 13, 2010,
Quote by Washburnd Fretz
Bugeras have some serious reliability issues going on...

I'm not a fanboy, but this is the truth. Marshall AVT series is a hybrid and you wont find many lower tier tube amps that will beat it. Hard Rock, Heavy Metal and Blues are its strong points. Mine sounds lousy with cheap stock pups..but with after market pickups my guitars sound great. EMG active/passive, BKP's, SD's are my pups. My cab is a 1960 straight.

The Valveking will feel like HDSS...for all tube..it doesnt have enough headroom for metal and industrial players that need to bring the heat. For players that need serious distortion and sustain..it doesnt really distance itself from SS amps enough to justify the price tag.

You listed some bands with tones the AVT should be good enough to practice with. I can get BLS and Slayer out of mine.

What kind of guitar, cab and pickups are you using at the moment.
I say get what you can out of it until you get a dsl or used jcm.

The 6505 needs nothing to drive it any harder..it makes me wonder about your setup.

thanks for that mate, i'm actually using a marshall avt 100 combo at the minute, with a boss gt-8, and two fender strats HSS
The stock speakers may be the issue.

My class A is a B-52. I like the upper mid presence and the tone. Some call it bland because of the rectified tones, but I coupled it with the dark 1960 for the low end thump. Having these two tones blended together makes a very versatile combo. I like to use solid body basswood guitars along with mahogany bodies and I like to use effects. Tonally I'm all over the place according to how I feel on a given day. The "Bland" nature of the amp is the secret to the huge range of tones I can get. So criticism can sometimes be unfairly harsh because a reviewer has totally different needs. Although I love the At-100 I would not recommend it to many guitarists.
Rectified tones are not for everyone.

You may be able to do better in the future, but you can do decent recording with an avt. Upgrading to a lower tier amp will be a waste of money. If you are outgrowing that amp..You will outgrow many of the budget amps on the market quite quickly. If you can get a good amp for a good price ..do it..but at your current level I would try to get a Dsl or Jcm.

Whatever you decide...dont settle. However painful it may be..play through it all until you can afford something you wont outgrow. Take it from someone who has been through a lot of gear. Its better to spend the cash once and get it right. Its far less expensive that way.
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Jul 13, 2010,