Hey guys,

Is there a generic structure for what goes in each verse? Like the first verse tells one part of a story, the second verse tells another, and so on, or can it be the same idea done in each verse? I usually find this the hardest part, because I either find myself repeating the same theme in each verse, or going completely off topic and incongruent from my previous verse.

Thanks
It depends on the song style. If its a story song, usually use it in stanzas and the verses can be alike as long as they aren't redundant. Just make the first stanza the beginning or however a story song would flow in your mind.

Sometimes you write songs that are just based off of a certain thing and not a story and as i said before,he verses can be similar but avoid redundancy.
Hey!Everyone!
Come and See how good I look!

You Stay Classy, Ultimate Guitar
The content depends entirely on what you want it to be. If, as you say, you keep repeating yourself, maybe that's just how it's meant to be. If, however, you want to change that and be more diverse, try writing short short stories of a couple hundred words. They're challenging in that you have very little space to get what you want to write about, therefore it's imperative that you repeat yourself as little as possible. They've helped me immensely to be more creative with everything else I write.

As for a basic structured song/poem, it all depends on the subject and whether you want it to run like a story or you're just writing stream-of-consciousness. A story is beginning, middle and end, and SOC isn't as there is no real story to tell.
My basic outline would be:
Intro
Chorus
Verse
(Any other verses that may fit, may have a chorus between them, depending on how well it sounds...)
Slow/Outro Chorus
End Verse

But we all use different methods...
I like to go with
Intro
Verse
Breakdown
Verse
Chorus
Fill
Verse
Chorus
Breakdown
Solo
Chorus
Outro

Basically, when you're writing a song, it follows whatever pattern you want to write. It could tell a story, be full of symbolism, or be completely pointless.
just don't do the same structure all the time, or your going to sound like guns'n roses.