looking for a new guitar, in the £350-£400 range, im looking for something that is quite versatile, is good quality and most importantly sounds good (for its money worth). im thinking of getting a epiphone les paul standard but was wondering what other more experienced people would suggest. thanks in advance.
i bought a les paul standard with intention of just using it for classic rock sort of stuff and use my other guitar for metal, but found i use my les paul for absolutely everything, including branching out into stuff like ska, blues and even a bit of funk. they are incredibly versatile
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Fender 300CE T-Bucket
Dean DOF ML [For Sale]
Marshall AVT 2000 valvestate
Ibanez modified turbo tube screamer
Digitech RP250
Last edited by thrash-it-up at Jul 4, 2010,
I'd get a PRS SE. Obviously there are multiple SEs but you can choose whichever because I believe they're all pretty versatile. If not, look into some Epiphones as well.
Put this in your signature if you've ever saved a child.

Yea thats what i thought.
If you are happy buying second hand there are always PRS SE guitars on EBAY at good prices. Quite a few look like they have not been played much. The same is true for other makes if you have a good look at secondhand guitars.
Fender Mexican Strat... Otherwise I'd agree with the Epiphone... the quality is ace for the price, quite close to Gibson... in effect, you're paying 3x as much (at least) for the Gibson name on your headstock
"I've Been Imitated So Well I've Heard People Copy My Mistakes"- Jimi Hendrix

We're born to lose, so live to win
lols

what type of music do you play? what's your amp? what are your existing guitars?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
lols

what type of music do you play? what's your amp? what are your existing guitars?

+ number of frets?fixed bridge or tremolo?
For that price range and versatility I would say PRS SE
You could try a Epiphone or a Squire, but personally think that the PRS is better quality for the price
Another brand you could look at is Indie
Never really heard much about them or seen many guitars in shops
But the reviews I have seen are really good
Look at SEs are the best mid price guitars for my money at least but look at Fender MIM, Godin guitars and other epiphone models like the dot or prophecy range if your looking for versatility as i do believe one comes with a coil split.
SMILE!
i play a crappy strat replica, a stagg at the moment. use a vox vt30 with it. its a toss up between epiphone les paul standard and PRS SE at the moment.
what type of music do you play?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
PRS SE, they are probably better qualitly than most epiphones, personally i think they are more versitile than a hss strat possible. but anyway, epihphones are nice but ive figured most are try before you buy, but the PRS are quite consistant. IMO prs se. in the end they are goin to have about the same quiality hardware but i just love a nice simple prs guitar.
MIM Fender Strat
Ibanez AE series acoustic
Washburn Semi Hollow loaded with Di-Marzios
Main Street LP
Tama drum set
Marshall Blues-breaker 2
VOX V847 Wah
Fender Princeton chorus
i play almost all types of music, anything from ska to metal, thats why im after something versatile. even though i plan on buying online im going to try and have a look at both a PRS SE and epiphone LP standard in my local guitar shops, think it might just come down to personal preference, but im sure it will come down to one of these guitars as both have been recommend to me a huge number of times. im leaning towards the PRS SE at the moment.
Wasburn WI66 Pro. Shits all over Epiphone standard/custom. Around the 400 quid mark. Grovers, real Duncans, coild taps.
Second hand usa/Highway strat with a bridge humbucker would be good too.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

I'd also go with the Les Paul.
Quote by necrosis1193
John Entwistle once in a while. I had to try to find him when I saw The Who two years ago.

Quote by sticksause
butthose bagpipes sound awesome.
if you play that wide a range of stuff I'd be looking at something with both single coils and humbuckers- an HSS or HSH superstrat (not necessarily fender, i just use the term "superstrat" to describe something which is vaguely strat-shaped, you have options from yamaha pacificas, godin, lag, ibanez, jackson, etc. etc. etc.)

or at very least something HH with coil splits.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
none of the local guitar shops stock epiphone or PRS, something to do with the way they are distributed or something. im going to go with the PRS SE, i want a fixed bridge, and 22 frets so its a toss up between the custom 22 or singlecut. any recommendation? thanks
i went with the PRS SE single cut, it arrived a few days ago and im very pleased with it, cant believe i only paid £380 for it, the quality seems much higher than the price tag. any thanks for the advise everyone.