Oookay....im looking for a pedal that will boost my guitar volume during solos so for a solid state amp do i need a preamp booster or a volume pedal? pweeease help me
so a booster wont mess up a SOLID STATE AMP? because as far as i know preamp boosters are used to push tube amps into overdrive
Quote by littlephil
Volume pedals dont boost volume, you need a booster.

but what if i had the volume pedal at around half way depressed for the normal parts of songs and then for solos push it forward fully?
Quote by Ma-hog!
but what if i had the volume pedal at around half way depressed for the normal parts of songs and then for solos push it forward fully?

Then that would be silly.

Just buy an EQ.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Then that would be silly.

Just buy an EQ.

i thought about that too....

http://www.thomann.de/ie/harley_benton_eq100.htm

does anyone know if this pedal will do the job of boosting my volume for solos? it says it has a 15db cut/boost for each band and it has a level control. is 15db enough?
Quote by Ma-hog!

Great idea, although why you couldn't just use your guitar volume pot like people used to, I don't know.

With a solid state amp you don't to pile too much gain on to the preamp, it won't sound nice, so active boosters aren't always the best approach.

Passive 'boosters' are great (especially in your effects loop so it won't effect your overdrive levels), and give you a lot more consistency than doing it with your volume pot/pedal. EH make one:

Last edited by kyle62 at Jul 4, 2010,
^The Signal Pad is not a booster though, it cuts volume.
^ He's saying to use it as a volume cut ALL the time and turn it OFF for solos.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Great idea, although why you couldn't just use your guitar volume pot like people used to, I don't know.

i cant use my volume pot because it doesnt have enough of a volume boost and it changes the tone because i dont have a treble bleed in it
As long as you have an fx loop you can use an eq and boost the level up.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by kyle62

With a solid state amp you don't to pile too much gain on to the preamp, it won't sound nice, so active boosters aren't always the best approach.

Passive 'boosters' are great (especially in your effects loop so it won't effect your overdrive levels), and give you a lot more consistency than doing it with your volume pot/pedal. EH make one:

I think we have a winner.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by kyle62

Because, at least in my experience, the tone tends to deteriorate when you turn the volume pot down. It's not so much a volume control as it is a gain control. Now I've heard that this is different on active guitars, I'm not sure.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by MortifiedLizard
Because, at least in my experience, the tone tends to deteriorate when you turn the volume pot down. It's not so much a volume control as it is a gain control. Now I've heard that this is different on active guitars, I'm not sure.

nah with emg's the same thing happens when you turn down your volume pot
Quote by denied
^ Volume = gain. Get your terms right.

Guitar volume knobs usually pull more treble from your signal, though you can mod them to do the reverse.

The signal pad is the best option here

sorry but volume does not equal gain, if volume equals gain then surely it would be impossible to play a 50w ss amp at full volume on the clean channel without the sound becoming distorted..........volume =/= gain. Get your terms right.
Quote by Ma-hog!
sorry but volume does not equal gain, if volume equals gain then surely it would be impossible to play a 50w ss amp at full volume on the clean channel without the sound becoming distorted..........volume =/= gain. Get your terms right.

Gain is a measure of amplification. When you turn the volume knob on an amp, you're increasing the gain. Gain =/= distortion.
Last edited by littlephil at Jul 6, 2010,
But phil .. when I turn up my gain knob I get distortion so doesn't gain = distortion?

It's hard aint it?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by littlephil
Gain is a measure of amplification. When you turn the volume knob on an amp, you're increasing the gain. Gain =/= distortion.

you mean amplifier gain=/=distortion, amplifier gain is the amplitude of the output signal divided by the amplitude of the input signal, ime gain/overdrive/distortion can be equated with eachother with varying levels of intensity (refering to intensity here as the amount of each effect not amplitude multiplied by frequency)