I'm looking to do cheap recordings on my PC. Can I do it with a shure SM58 mic, run through a XLR to 3.5mm jack: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ex-Pro-Cable-Socket-3-5mm-Stereo/dp/B0025TVNHS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1278256236&sr=1-1

Into my PC's pink colour mic-in socket on my Realtek HD audio soundcard. Will this all work? I don't really know anything about the technicallies on this.

I did recordings previously with a cheap £2 scratchy desktop mic with a 3.5mm socket, so will the shure sm58 pull it off too with the XLR to 3.5mm jack? Will the signal be strong enough or must a preamp be used?

Not looking for pro sound, just demo quality.
Last edited by ThinkAboutIt at Jul 4, 2010,
But I never had a lag with a cheap desktop mic though. Does the lag come down to the mic or is it the XLR to 3.5mm jack that will cause it?
I think you need an interface. In fact, just get an interface. Why would you buy an sm58, if you want to record it using your built in soundcard. It's like buying something nice and expensive, and dragging it through shit. The end result is lot's of shit, despite having the good thing in the first place
I just thought you had to record it through the PC's soundcard. As that's what controls the PC's sound. I thought the soundcard was the engine and the mic the wheels.

I still want this mic as it could be used for later on gigging anyway.

Doesn't the soundcard in my PC act as the interface anyway? I'll only be recording one channel at a time btw, then mixing them in an audio editing program. Can I still expect lag?
Last edited by ThinkAboutIt at Jul 4, 2010,
Yeah, but it won't sound good, that be the point I'm trying to make. Because the sound card is inside the case and not designed for actual recording, it's susceptible to interference, latency issues and many other things, you can pick up external interfaces for reasonable prices nowadays though, but I don't know much about the cheaper one's, as I tend to use the 8 input one's so you might wanna wait for someone with a bit more knowledge of that end of the market if you want more info. And keep the mic, it's good for live vocals
Built-in soundcards are built with the intention of having great sound... on the outputs.

However, interfaces specifically designed for recording are the only devices where much attention is paid to the input quality.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
So what is a good USB interface I can pickup?

I'm looking to probs spend around £50, £70 tops.

Any good ones withing this price range?
You won't get a good one for £50 - £70. A low end one costs around £80 - £100, but even they are 100x better than a PC's build in soundcard.
Quote by Afroboy267
You won't get a good one for £50 - £70. A low end one costs around £80 - £100, but even they are 100x better than a PC's build in soundcard.

But what's your opinion of "a good one"? I'm not looking for one with tons of inputs/equalizers. I only need one track/jack input, though 2 wouldn't hurt. I'll record into audacity so 1 track is fine, I can just mix / add extra tracks later. Also I'm not looking for professional / commercial state of the art quality for releasing an album, I just wanna be able to record fairly good / listenable demos for personal use.
Last edited by ThinkAboutIt at Aug 5, 2010,
The 1/4" Jack to XLR won't cause any problems, i've used quite a few of them and they work just as well as Jack to Jack or XLR to XLR.

i guess that could work well, i'm just going by what you get for your money but if you only need to record basic demos with 1 Mic i guess that interface would be good, dunno if you'll need phantom power though.
Last edited by Afroboy267 at Aug 5, 2010,
By the by, do these interfaces let you use any recording software? As I assume the interface will ship with a must have driver, will it also require you to use only their recording tools, i.e. POD Farm (which it comes with). Obviously I'd be inclined to check POD Farm out, but can I still use other software, such as Audacity?

As the that interface only has one input socket, I'd like to know I can add more tracks by recording each seperately into one project. Which is fine by me, as I can only play one guitar at a time anyway (for now until bionic arms are in place).