Im gettin a new amp and I want a half stack. I play metal like BMFV and Metallica and AILD and stuff like that so I want a tube amp. I was thinking about the Peavey 3120 Head but I don't know what speaker cabinet to get. Soooooo any suggestions on what to get?
inb4 "get a combo"

EDIT:

$2000, nevermind

EDIT2:

Are you set on the head already?

As far as the cab goes, anything quality with a closed back and Vintage 30s should do the trick. Of course other speakers would work well also. Avatar, Orange, Mesa...

Do you want the 4 speakers for gigging live? Personally if I had the choice I'd get rid of my 412 for a 212, just because of the size..
Last edited by Tedward at Jul 4, 2010,
Nooo not $2000 for the cab, I mean't $2000 for like the head and cab hahaha.
Quote by Tedward
inb4 "get a combo"

EDIT:

$2000, nevermind

EDIT2:

Are you set on the head already?

As far as the cab goes, anything quality with a closed back and Vintage 30s should do the trick. Of course other speakers would work well also. Avatar, Orange, Mesa...

Do you want the 4 speakers for gigging live? Personally if I had the choice I'd get rid of my 412 for a 212, just because of the size..

Naa I'm not set on the head yet I was just looking into the Peavey. What are some good combo's then because I hear people say to get a combo instead of a half stack.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Well, AILD use Peavey 6505s, right? There's a good start..

So does Matt Tuck from BFMV, I would look into a 6505, or an old 5150. basically the same thing
naw people just always say that because guys come in and say "OK I've got $250 and I want a tube fullstack" and then everyone flips out and it gets out of hand lol. Really though, the main reason is because people want a half-stack for the looks, and that's definitely not the reason to buy one.. so I hope that's not your reason. They don't really sound different than a combo. Most good amps can be bought in both combo and stack form anyways. (EDIT: I should add that once you get over about $1000, combos are MORE expensive than the head version)

As far as the Peavey goes, you might want to check out the 6505 and 6534 heads, as those are pretty much the industry standard of metalcore or whatnot. You'd be much better off buying a used amp as you can get them for about $1000 used (in Canada, way cheaper in the USA)...

There are plenty of other amps that might work well... Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifiers, maybe Splawn maybe, that might eat into the cab budget though. I've got a buddy who uses an Orange Rocker 30 for that kind of "christian HxC" garbage (not to say they aren't talented though) and he gets a pretty heavy live tone from it.

Also some boutique kind of stuff like Splawn (more Marshally sounding) and Baron amps (apparently really good) can be had new for about $1600, which would leave you enough to get maybe a new Avatar 212, which are pretty good quality.

Although it's not a hell of a lot in the amp world, $2000 will get you some pretty nice stuff. If you want to get A LOT more for your money, buying used stuff could slash like %50 off the price.
Last edited by Tedward at Jul 4, 2010,
if you're going to be playing this thing mostly live and you have a good practice amp, you may want to look into the head+cab option. a 212 cab will be great for practice, but the 412 has great stage presence. that being said however, i always opt to gig with a combo. i've always had better luck micing them over a head+cab. if this is the route you wanna go, the peavey 3120 is a great amp like you already said. you could also look on the used market for a mesa dual rectifier or mark series, engl amps (powerball, savage, invader or whatever but you may be a little hard pressed to find one). but once again, i think the peavey is a damn good amp.

now that being said, you could get a little more amp for that money if you go combo. its generally easier to transport than lugging around a 412. i've always found i could keep up with drummers with ease with just a 112 or 212 tube combo amp, and live i've had more success micing them. i've even encountered a handful of gigs where they didnt mic and the combos still suited me fine. now, i dont actually own a good tube amp, but i've been gigging for 5+ years and i've always rented or borrowed. so i've played everything from the bugeras and peaveys to mesa and engl to fender and whatever. you name it i've done it. the mesa dual rectifier roadster and mark v were definitely my favourite amps around in terms of versatility and overall amazing sounds. both of these should fall within your price range new if you haggle them down a little, or easily found used. but at $2000, you could have almost any combo amp you can think of from almost any brand.
Yeah I think I'm going to get a Combo because I think it will be big enough now that I think about it I really dont need a half stack. I thought that they sounded better than combos but idk.
you can't haggle Mesa's new FYI,

Another cool amp would be the Fryette/VHT Pitbull, but they have their own sound so try before you buy.
meh

if you're in the USA tax would be like $50

if you're in Canada or maybe UK tax could be almost $200 for an expensive amp, and I doubt any store would cut that deep into their own profits

but there's no harm in trying of course.
I have been looking at the Line 6 Valve but I don't know if I like the hole presets thing.
Quote by User_Name336
if you're going to be playing this thing mostly live and you have a good practice amp, you may want to look into the head+cab option. a 212 cab will be great for practice, but the 412 has great stage presence.

I've gigged just fine with 2x10" combo setup, or a head + 2x12" cab. You don't need a 4x12 for "stage presence.
Still a solid amount of low end, too.
Would the Peavey 6505 combo amp be good for the style of music I play?
You seem to have gone straight from set on a halfstack to set on a combo when imo a head and 212 would be best for you. A good 212 will have lots of low end but still be a lot easier to move around than a 412. The head and 212 setup is also a lot easier than a 212 combo.

If I were you I would get a used 5150/6505 and an Avatar Contemporary 212 with V30s and pocket the change
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Quote by ILiKePiNeAppLeS
You seem to have gone straight from set on a halfstack to set on a combo when imo a head and 212 would be best for you. A good 212 will have lots of low end but still be a lot easier to move around than a 412. The head and 212 setup is also a lot easier than a 212 combo.

If I were you I would get a used 5150/6505 and an Avatar Contemporary 212 with V30s and pocket the change

+1 Fo' Sho'
I think a used Peavey 6505 or 5150 would be great for what you play, unless you really care about pristine clean tones. A combo would be great or a head + 2x12 would be awesome too. Peavey makes a 6505 2x12 combo for $1200 dollars, that would be your cheapest option. Another option you have is finding a used 6505 or 5150 head (try craigslist or guitarcenter used) for a good price and then buying a solid 2x12 cabinet, or you could buy a new 6505 too!

I currently have, for a few more days at least, a 4x12 with V30's and its pretty nice but since I'm moving across the country I'm selling to a friend. Point is, I wanted to buy a Mills Acoustics 4x12 ($1200 w/ shipping) because it was a 412 but I researched it and talked myself into a their 212 and ordered one last week ($850 w/ shipping).

I heard avatar makes great cabinets that are well priced. Check out there 212s.
+1 to the guy that talked about a Head + 212 and avatar.

Try craigslist and see what amps are on the used market near you. You might find something great
Gear

Mesa/Boogie Mark V Head
Mills Acoustics Mach 212B
Peavey Vypyr 15w
ESP LTD EC-1000 guitar (BKP Nailbombs)
Fender American Standard Strat
PRS Custom 24
Dunlop KH Signature Wah
Menatone Red Snapper
Boss DD-7 Delay
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Last edited by RocknRory at Jul 4, 2010,
Oh I forgot something. What's your nearest city TS? We can check your craigslist for good deals.
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Quote by forsaknazrael
I've gigged just fine with 2x10" combo setup, or a head + 2x12" cab. You don't need a 4x12 for "stage presence.
Still a solid amount of low end, too.

i meant stage presence as in looks. when you're at a show, the head + 412 cab looks best. lets be honest, a lot of your show is how things look. but lets not get into that here. my vote is still combo or a head + 212 cab. whichever is cheaper really. but if you opt for the head + 412 thats still fine. not much of a volume difference. more of speaker breakup thing/pushing more or less air.