OK, so I want to get a Blackstar HT-5 Head.

It will be my first tube and first head amp (I currently use a SS Kustom Dart 10FX). My main question is whether the amp can run through the speaker input of my Kustom. The speaker is rated at 15W RMS, so I don't know if it would blow

BTW, I plan to get a proper cab at some point (1x12 methinks), so don't flame me about it's going to sound small through that speaker - only 6" radius.

Also, does anyone know whether it would be difficult to mod the amp i.e. is it going to be difficult removing the PCB(s) and can I remove the faceplate easily - my plan is to remove the clean channel and develop the dirty channel as I'm quite happy with the Kustom's clean channel.

All in all, will it blow the speaker and can I mod it?
Cheers
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
It would work, theoretically. This sounds obvious, but don't run the head into the Kustom Amp's Input. If you just use the speaker, it should work.

As for modding it, it would be pretty difficult to remove the clean channel. I don't think it has separate "clean" and "dirty" circuits.

Also, why not just buy the HT5 combo? It's cheaper than the head and cabinet, and a safer option.
Well, I want a different speaker to the combo and I plan on using the cab (when I get one) with other amps I may get in the future.

The thing is that I know that tubes are louder than SS, so that's why I'm a little iffy on the idea.

Remember, ratings for the amp and speaker are RMS
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
hey, not wanting to tout for business, but i'm selling my ht-5 and a marshall jtm 1x12 cab for £300... the head alone new is about £269...

Where in the UK are you?
I might be interested...
Don't know much about those cabs at the moment but sounds nice.
And what is the condition like?
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
This is you isn't it:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-1330175.html

BTW, I can get a HT-5 for £249 new, with free P&P

I bet you're Dave from Sheffield? lol

EDIT: Just seen your screen name - you are Dave from Sheffield!
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Last edited by Emperor's Child at Jul 4, 2010,
Another Query:

How much would you sell the HT-5 by itself?
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
it would be impossible to mod that amp as the pcb board looks like a binge eat vomit.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Yeh the amp is listed as £300 right now, it's in the east midlands, just thought it would be of better value for you to buy them both together now as it would make sense, i tried the blackstar cab when i bought mine and i obviously bought the marshall it just sounded better...
Yeah, I was just thinking that cab looks a tad large, even for a 1x12

Are those pots and jacks all PCB mounted?
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
It looks like everything but the power socket is PCB mounted.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
it looks like it was wave soldered with super glue

why exactly does a 2 channel 5 watt head running two tubes need all those components?

someone tell mike he's doing it wrong.

that's got every single function the blackstar does minus gimmicky op-amp isf.
effects loop? check
headphone/lineout? check - though the headphone out requires an adapter
2 channels? check
Last edited by AcousticMirror at Jul 5, 2010,
Maybe I can mod out a "slimmed down" version of the HT-5...
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
someone tell mike he's doing it wrong.

I’m pretty sure his investors would disagree with you there.
Quote by Emperor's Child
Maybe I can mod out a "slimmed down" version of the HT-5...

if u stripped it down u'd have a terrible valve jr clone
Quote by Cathbard
It looks like everything but the power socket is PCB mounted.

SHOCK NEWS: Extremely cheap, high-gain, low-wattage amp uses cheap components
Quote by odewire
SHOCK NEWS: Extremely cheap, high-gain, low-wattage amp uses cheap components

The jca20 is all valve and puts that piece of garbage to shame and u can add ur own distortion pedal.
Well I got one at bargain price (no box)

Honestly, this thing sounds pretty good to me. It's true that the cleans aren't very loud but the distortion channel is awesome cranked. Unfortunately, I only played it cranked for a couple of seconds in the shop, before thinking "It goes pretty darn loud".

I'll hold off the modding for a while. It feels unfair to butcher a nice amp at the moment, but I'll be sure to upgrade the speaker when I get a chance. But first I must begin saving up for a new guitar worthy of my amp...
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by AcousticMirror
The jca20 is all valve and puts that piece of garbage to shame and u can add ur own distortion pedal.

So you're comparing a 5 watt 2 channel amp with a 10in speaker, a FX loop, that ISF knob and an emulated output, against a 20 watt single channel amp with no FX loop and basic controls for tone and a 12in speaker.

Brilliant
Quote by odewire
So you're comparing a 5 watt 2 channel amp with a 10in speaker, a FX loop, that ISF knob and an emulated output, against a 20 watt single channel amp with no FX loop and basic controls for tone and a 12in speaker.

Brilliant

umm wut

i'm comparing them against each other in terms of design, component choice, construction.

I really don't get what argument you're making. So according to you you can only compare amps that are exactly the same? I don't get what you are trying to say?

Yes the two amps are different. you win?
Well, the Blackstar sounds like a tube amp, and has nice tone.
Isn't that all that really matters?
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
All that extra stuff on the HT-5 is for the speaker emulation. Big deal.
If you play a Blackstar and can't make it sound good, the problem isn't the amp my friend....
It's made in China and is $250, people need to get off their high horse.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by AcousticMirror
umm wut

i'm comparing them against each other in terms of design, component choice, construction.

I really don't get what argument you're making. So according to you you can only compare amps that are exactly the same? I don't get what you are trying to say?

Yes the two amps are different. you win?

You brought up the JCA20 to compare to the Blackstar.

I was simply pointing out that 2 amps that do completely different thing, at different price brackets, will probably make different choices in "terms of design, component choice, construction."

All I was pointing out that comparing two amps that are totally different is pointless.
Van Noord gets it
The extra solid state stuff is emulated outputs and ISF.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by odewire
You brought up the JCA20 to compare to the Blackstar.

I was simply pointing out that 2 amps that do completely different thing, at different price brackets, will probably make different choices in "terms of design, component choice, construction."

All I was pointing out that comparing two amps that are totally different is pointless.

umm wut.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Blackstar-HT-5-Series-HT-5H-5W-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head-787010-i1434795.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Jet-City-Amplification-JCA20H-20W-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head-583597-i1475974.gc

ya i guess one of them occupies the sought after 330 price point and the other has the 333 price point on lock down? Why do you say things you know aren't true?

Really? comparing different amps is pointless? Alright Dr. Consumer Reports which two amps are similar enough to compare?

Quote by Emperor's Child
Van Noord gets it
The extra solid state stuff is emulated outputs and ISF.

the isf is directly controlling your signal path....
and this isn't even true. it's verified that there are op amps acting as clipping diodes before the first tube.

Quote by Emperor's Child
Well, the Blackstar sounds like a tube amp, and has nice tone.
Isn't that all that really matters?

yes. you're right. if you love it. buy it. especially if you think it sounds like a tube amp and has a nice tone. I don't believe that. But if you do I respect your right to act on that belief.
Quote by AcousticMirror
umm wut.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Blackstar-HT-5-Series-HT-5H-5W-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head-787010-i1434795.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Jet-City-Amplification-JCA20H-20W-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head-583597-i1475974.gc

ya i guess one of them occupies the sought after 330 price point and the other has the 333 price point on lock down? Why do you say things you know aren't true?

Really? comparing different amps is pointless? Alright Dr. Consumer Reports which two amps are similar enough to compare?

Firstly the guy is in the UK. I picked up a Blackstar HT-5 head for £185, the JCA head is £300 here, that's almost a $200 difference.

Secondly I'm not saying comparing different amps is pointless, but if someone came on UG and said (I know it's not the case right now but I'm giving an example of how different they are):
"I want a 2 channel amp with headphone out and about 5 watts for metal music."

You would recommend a single channel 20w amp that costs $200 more? Or would you compare the amp with something similar in its price range?
Well, I got mine with a 110 cab and two sets of (very nice) strings all for £275, so I'm certainly happy. I also agree that there are better amps to compare the Blackstar to such as the Marshall Class 5.

I also get the feeling AcousticMirror hasn't tried the amp, believe me it's very good at what it does...
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by odewire
Firstly the guy is in the UK. I picked up a Blackstar HT-5 head for £185, the JCA head is £300 here, that's almost a $200 difference.

Secondly I'm not saying comparing different amps is pointless, but if someone came on UG and said (I know it's not the case right now but I'm giving an example of how different they are):
"I want a 2 channel amp with headphone out and about 5 watts for metal music."

You would recommend a single channel 20w amp that costs $200 more? Or would you compare the amp with something similar in its price range?

I'd tell him that doing all that with a tube amp is a pipe dream and not to spend more money then he has to and just get guitar rig.

Quote by Emperor's Child
Well, I got mine with a 110 cab and two sets of (very nice) strings all for £275, so I'm certainly happy. I also agree that there are better amps to compare the Blackstar to such as the Marshall Class 5.

I also get the feeling AcousticMirror hasn't tried the amp, believe me it's very good at what it does...

You're right I love talking about things that I've never tried. Where do you think I got that gut shot picture from.

Touche!
Do you think the Jet City is really that much better?
BTW, How does that Night Train compare?
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by Emperor's Child
Touche!
Yeah a random pic from god knows where...
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Van Noord
Yeah a random pic from god knows where...

that's my studio last november.

Emperor check out Cartharsis studios nad on his jet city.
I don't like the night train at all.