Page 1 of 2
I've just finished eating a bacon sandwich (which was lovely by the way) and the question hit me:

Why is it, that when cows are out and about, running around the field, they're called Cows.
But, when they're processed, ready to eat, it's called Beef.

Same with Pigs. They go from being Pigs, to being Bacon/Pork/Ham.

Yet, Chickens, stay as Chicken. Lambs, stay as Lamb.

The question(s) I put to you is/are:

Why is this? Why does the name suddenly change when processed for food?
I don't know but it tastes good.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Because...

"What's fer tea?!"
"PIGS."

...doesn't sound right.
My name is Danny. Call me that.
To try and distance people from what they are eating, nothing better than a big slab of cow, but saying that to someone would put them off I guess, but then my theory is blown out the water by lamb, which is very cute?
Quote by asator
Because...

"What's fer tea?!"
"DEEP FRIED PIGS."

...doesn't sound right.

Better?
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Quote by TheBurningFish
Better?

Needs more Mars.
Quote by asator
Because...

"What's fer tea?!"
"PIGS."

...doesn't sound right.

This.
Pigs in blanket is the confusing one. Should be pig wrapped pig.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
Ham / Bacon / Pork all come from different parts of the pig, so just to inform which part we're eating.
Quote by boreamor
We're omnivores. Just to nitpick...

And probably because pork/ham/etc sounds nicer than pig, etc. Chicken on the otherhand sounds fine. Same with lamb.

came in here, to just do this.
ALL OF MY CRAP SONGS/IDEAS

Quote by God
LOLjk guise, im not real.

Quote by JDbbx
I don't want to go into detail but it involves my girlfriend, a condom and 10 seconds.

If anyone sigs that I shall be most irritated
Quote by boreamor

And probably because pork/ham/etc sounds nicer than pig, etc. Chicken on the otherhand sounds fine. Same with lamb.

This too.
Quote by asator
Because...

"What's fer tea?!"
"PIGS."

...doesn't sound right.

Of course it doesn't sound right fool. It's because for as long as remember we've been using the term pork. If you changed a term you're familiar with to another one that you're not then it's going to sound weird. You've been dealt with linguistically; Booyah!
Quote by CaveTrollz
tl;dr

You sir! By what sorcery did you attain this awesomeness I see before me?!?

Quote by magnus_maximus
Lamb isn't lambs as in the little springy baby sheep, just so you know. It's just sheep younger than 2 years.

Also, to most likely to separate the food from the live animal and make it less uncomfortable in concept, I guess.

Ohh. Ok then, thankyou

Quote by asator
Because...

"What's fer tea?!"
"PIGS."

...doesn't sound right.

May not sound 'right'...but it made me laugh
Quote by boreamor

Sorry, should have picked up on this.
Last edited by PaulyVengeance at Jul 4, 2010,
Quote by leg end
Of course it doesn't sound right fool. It's because for as long as remember we've been using the term pork. If you changed a term you're familiar with to another one that you're not then it's going to sound weird. You've been dealt with linguistically; Booyah!

I was joking. You wasted your time typing that. I win.
If I recall rightly, way back when a lot of the servants, chefs etc. of the aristocrats and royalty of Britain didn't speak English. So the Anglo-Saxon peasants who did the farming called the thing a cow, but when the French servants got the slabs of meat, they presented it to their masters as beef. Seemples.
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
//////////////////////////////////////HEALTH
I don't care, I'm hungry
Quote by CoreysMonster
Why, my pasty danish cracker, I believe you've got it!
Compare the French. When French was the fashionable language of the ruling classes in England, they'd refer to what they ate - the meat of the pig or cow - by its French name. Beuf or porc. The peasantry, however, who encountered the animals in their living, breathing state, would continue to use the Anglo-Saxon terms. And so a linguistic divide was created between how we refer to an animal (Anglo-Saxon) and how we refer to its meat (French).

et viola!
Quote by adamrandall
ahh yes SRV. i got the intro on texas flood (easy) and then he's like twangledoodleblopdebloo dun dun dun dun DA dun DA and im like *dead*.

The Unholy plays a Jackson Warrior X through a Metal Muff

Squigglymetal!
Quote by PaulyVengeance

Thanks for that.

No problem. They both originate from the same root word but for the life of me I don't know how they got boef out of gwow.

Pork is the easy one. It's from the Latin root of porcine.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by TheUnholy
Compare the French. When French was the fashionable language of the ruling classes in England, they'd refer to what they ate - the meat of the pig or cow - by its French name. Beuf or porc. The peasantry, however, who encountered the animals in their living, breathing state, would continue to use the Anglo-Saxon terms. And so a linguistic divide was created between how we refer to an animal (Anglo-Saxon) and how we refer to its meat (French).

et viola!

...Wow.I never knew that!

Just for that, I present you with a Cow Sandwich.

(you have to go find it yourself, I'm full, and don't particularly feel like moving)
Quote by asator
I was joking. You wasted your time typing that. I win.

Not really, seeing as that is what this thread is about? Go be bulimic
Quote by CrazyPigeon
Different parts of cows are called different things. Beef, bacon and such. Same with pigs.

I've never had beef bacon before.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by PaulyVengeance
...Wow.I never knew that!

Just for that, I present you with a Cow Sandwich.

(you have to go find it yourself, I'm full, and don't particularly feel like moving)

Hurrah! A cow sandwich!

...wait, given what we've just discussed, isn't that just a live cow stuck between two bits of bread?

I'm not sure I have a use for that
Quote by adamrandall
ahh yes SRV. i got the intro on texas flood (easy) and then he's like twangledoodleblopdebloo dun dun dun dun DA dun DA and im like *dead*.

The Unholy plays a Jackson Warrior X through a Metal Muff

Squigglymetal!
Quote by leg end
Not really, seeing as that is what this thread is about? Go be bulimic

Gonna go spew up some PIGS.
Quote by CrazyPigeon
Different parts of cows are called different things. Beef, bacon and such. Same with pigs.

The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Quote by Jackal58
No problem. They both originate from the same root word but for the life of me I don't know how they got boef out of gwow.

Pork is the easy one. It's from the Latin root of porcine.

Not a god damn clue to be honest.

Quote by TheUnholy
Hurrah! A cow sandwich!

...wait, given what we've just discussed, isn't that just a live cow stuck between two bits of bread?

I'm not sure I have a use for that

Last edited by PaulyVengeance at Jul 4, 2010,
It's an issue of etymology.

Back in the Saxon days before the French invasion of 1066 the word for cows and beef was the same, pork and pig, etc. But then after 1066 all the noblemen spoke French, and the French word for beef is 'boeuf'. After the fall of the French reign we (the English) took a lot of French words into our lexis - about 30,00 actually - because we wanted to emulate the French/English hybrid that all the noblemen spoke now they were forced to speak English, as people generally tend to emulate the upper classes.

So the upper classes said 'boeuf' and pork (don't know norman french word for pork, lol) for cows and pigs and everyone else copied it.

This is also how we have things like Warranty/Guarantee, and other very similar words meaning the same.
Yeah it's probably so people aren't reminded of the cute animals they're eating. My mom eats tons of meat but if I want to order lamb at a restaurant she gets mad at me and makes "awwwwwww *whimper*' noises at me.
Quote by Bearded_Seth
It's just Lamb, not lambs.

You wouldn't call 'em Chineses.

That's very presumptuous
Quote by Bearded_Seth
It's just Lamb, not lambs.

You wouldn't call 'em Chineses.

I would if they were stealing my lambses. Id yells "Stops or I'll shoots yer Chineses asses"
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Jackal58
I would if they were stealing my lambses. Id yells "Stops or I'll shoots yer Chineses asses"

Thats a point, my Cowses went missings the other day...

Do you think it was the Chineses??
Page 1 of 2