Page 1 of 5
Before you say (insert crappy SS amp here) sucks, what is the worst tone that you have heard that is used by moderately successful musicians? I can't think of one right now.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Jack White. Although I love every project he's a part of and consider him a brilliant musician.
When I saw shadows fall years ago while they were using kranks. They had a really terrible trebly tone that just sucked.
Just what I was thinking ^^ +67
Quote by slash11896
I picked up my guitar this morning and started playing next thing i know i cant stop playing In the key of A, the first letter or her name, I ended up recording a whole song in A.

Quote by WhiskeyFace
I like women with balls.
I'm glad someone said Dime before I had to. Other then that I would have to say most modern metal bands really don't have great tone, it all sounds the same to me.
the tone that comes in at 0:20-ish on this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABy2RLY-VIM&feature=related

great band though - i think the way that tone comes through so horribly on this video might be something to do with the general lack of bass on the whole video. I think Andy Partridge, the guy whose guitar comes across sounding horrendous, was actually using a different rig to what he was normally using at that time.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
EDIT: Nevermind the original post I made. I didn't read the first post.

The guitar tone on "Revolution" by the Beatles is HORRID.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrkwgTBrW78
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Quote by -Rodion-
Jack White. Although I love every project he's a part of and consider him a brilliant musician.

But the whole point of that is to go for a "so bad it's cool" kind of thing. Which sometimes works, sometimes fails. Like on Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground (White Stripes) it's awesome, but on Level (Raconteurs) it didn't really work for me. By the way, the live video of that song, soooooo sweet.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Quote by TMF128
EDIT: Nevermind the original post I made. I didn't read the first post.

The guitar tone on "Revolution" by the Beatles is HORRID.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrkwgTBrW78

i forgot about that one.

that's horrible because it's a mixture of input stage clipping from the mixer and magnetic tape distortion. They plugged their guitars directly into the mixer inputs and turned all the controls up "full whack" and then it was recorded onto tape at full volume as well. If you re-amped that tone with a speaker simulation (or a real speaker) though it would probably sound pretty good - it's just that there's nothing there to round off the edges of the distortion nicely like a guitar amp/speaker does.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

Not moderately successful musicians, but a guy playing a rhoads V knockoff tuned to dropped G through an Ibanez TBX amp literally nearly made me puke.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Blompcube
i forgot about that one.

that's horrible because it's a mixture of input stage clipping from the mixer and magnetic tape distortion. They plugged their guitars directly into the mixer inputs and turned all the controls up "full whack" and then it was recorded onto tape at full volume as well. If you re-amped that tone with a speaker simulation (or a real speaker) though it would probably sound pretty good - it's just that there's nothing there to round off the edges of the distortion nicely like a guitar amp/speaker does.

A good tone is one that fits the song, that tone fits Revolution perfectly. It may be bad to modern ears but back then it was..."revolutionary."

Also, I really don't think Dimebag has bad tone, he just did what he wanted. He did for a while, but that had a lot to do with the overall production of the records. Yes he scooped his mids and everyone here seems to think "if you scoop your mids you automatically sound bad" but can you hear his guitar? Yes. Does it sound brutal? Yes. Is there another guitarist attempting to cut through the mix? NO. Listen to Floods, his tone works really well with that song.

Bad tone though...I kind of feel like BTBAM's tone after Alaska has been really compressed and boring. It just sounds really weak. It was better when I saw them live though. I would say most Sumerian bands have pretty awful tone. Good tone though would be Baroness.
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212

Quote by PerpetualBurn
A good tone is one that fits the song, that tone fits Revolution perfectly. It may be bad to modern ears but back then it was..."revolutionary."

Yeah, you have a point there, and i do think it suits the song well.

I wouldn't call it a "revolutionary" tone though. The beatles themselves had already worked with distorted tones on earlier albums, and the technique of going direct into the mixer and clipping the input stage for distortion has rarely been used since because the idea just didn't catch on, for obvious reason because it just doesn't sound good at all, especially not once solid state mixing boards made their way into the studios, and, it had already been done. I can't remember who it was but a country guitarist had created one of the first "fuzz" tones some 10 years earlier on some obscure country record by using the same technique.

also my dad was 7 or 8 years old when the single version of revolution came out and distinctly remembers hating the sound he said he always hated that song until he heard the white album version many years later when he found an old copy of the white album lying around.

Last edited by Blompcube at Jul 4, 2010,
Yngwie playing through the Fender Metalhead...
The clip was so awful it can't be found on the internet any more.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Jul 4, 2010,
want a horrid tone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKBPqHAMxxs

Gentlemen, protect your ears.

EDIT: I guess 17 million total views, a fret12 deal and playing with MAB live counts as reasonably successful for a 17 year old girl
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Last edited by Slicer666 at Jul 4, 2010,
ja nogal
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Quote by Slicer666
want a horrid tone?

EDIT: I guess 17 million total views, a fret12 deal and playing with MAB live counts as reasonably successful for a 17 year old girl

I've definitely heard worse, though that was pretty bad.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by WtrPlyr

just awful

+10 million.

The dude's tone sounded like a buzzsaw cutting through several cats eating mice while smashing into an electric fence surrounded by landmines. Better related to the Boss Metal Zone through a Fender Frontman.

He play some cool music, but his tone sucked, and it's not the amp he used either, Psychostick uses the same amp as Dime did and they have a rather awesome tone.
Quote by Slicer666
want a horrid tone?

Not a bad word is said about her in those comments. If she was a guy, it would be a different tale. Just saying.
Quote by PerpetualBurn

Also, I really don't think Dimebag has bad tone, he just did what he wanted. He did for a while, but that had a lot to do with the overall production of the records. Yes he scooped his mids and everyone here seems to think "if you scoop your mids you automatically sound bad" but can you hear his guitar? Yes. Does it sound brutal? Yes. Is there another guitarist attempting to cut through the mix? NO. Listen to Floods, his tone works really well with that song.

He did scoop his mids, but I don't think I've ever heard anyone say that is why his tone was bad. You can hear his guitar, I guess it sounds brutal, but it's also brittle, scratchy and ice-pick trebley. I love floods, but I think the tone on that track is horrible (Apart from the outro)
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
I think dimes tone is fine, it was also pretty deliberate, he was going for the buzzsaw sound, and thats how it sounds. Mission = accomplished. Sometimes it gets abit too harsh though, like walk.
He ran his amp into a parametic EQ where he boosted the mids.
I dont know how you're complaining about floods, he sounds pretty fat on that track.
I wouldn't have pantera any other way.

You people arent br00talz enough.

Go listen to panic at the disco.

How does that girl play the razorback, her hands look tiny in comparison.
Quote by Slicer666
want a horrid tone?

Oh... It's her again.

That's got to be the insane channel of a spider. The sound of the pick attack alone makes me want to hang myself upside down and drip hot wax down my balls and into my arm pits.

Edit: Look at her pinky. It just hangs there awkwardly while the other fingers do all the work.

Also: I've heard some pretty awful paul gilbert tones, although they've gotten better recently.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.
Last edited by PussyPunk182 at Jul 4, 2010,
Quote by PussyPunk182

Also: I've heard some pretty awful paul gilbert tones, although they've gotten better recently.

Sometimes PG's tones seem "twangy," but not THAT bad overall.

Can you show me what song/songs you might be thinking of?
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Kirk Hammett lead tones. Especially when playing live. I'm a hardcore metallica fan, but i just can't stand the trebly tone of Hammett's guitar or maybe he just need to switch the neck pickup more often when soloing...
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
I absolutely hate Buddy Guy's tone, it's just trebly, thin, nasal, etc.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by PussyPunk182

That's in Guitar World, though. They somehow make everything sound really harsh, even when they're recording amp demos.

I don't know how they do it. It always sounds horrid.

As for the worst tone on a record, I'd say the Burzum tone. However, shitty tone is a part of norwegian black metal (or so I'm told) so I guess it fits.
When you think about it, "Good metal tone" is a bit self-contradictory. If you're trying to make brutal and violent music, why would you want a pleasant guitar sound? It makes sense when you think about it.
Quote by PussyPunk182
That's got to be the insane channel of a spider. The sound of the pick attack alone makes me want to hang myself upside down and drip hot wax down my balls and into my arm pits.

It’s one of the massive Spider IIIs, she shows it off in some other clips.
Quote by Slicer666
want a horrid tone?

That was just awful in every way possible. It definitely sounds like a Spider. She's got decent technique but just everything she played was boring.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I once heard a guy plugged into a Boss DS-1 running straight into the PA.
Wave goodbye to the past.
You've got your whole life to lead.

Fender 60's Lacquer Jazzmaster
Schecter C-1+ with SD '59
Egnater Tweaker 15
PolyTune noir
Algal Bloom fuzz
Fingerprint Redux fuzz
Nocturner reverb
Flashback delay
When I plugged into a vintage modern. Christ what a horrid sound.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
LOL @ That video of the girl playing. She approves all comments so of course none of the ones thrashing her tone are going to get approved. What a tool.

When I think of bad tone the first thing that comes to mind is Jimmy Page when he violined his guitar during Dazed and Confused live. Anybody else wouldn't have been able to get away with that.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Quote by Slicer666
want a horrid tone?

At least she got rid of the freakin mustache http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu10IS9lVZM&feature=channel
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Page 1 of 5