I recently bought an american deluxe strat and I love it. I have a few changes I'd like to make to it, though, including changing the humbucker. I'm not in love with the stock Fender pickup and I'm looking to get a one that can give me a heavier sound.
I'm looking for a pickup that would be geared towards modern distortion, but keep in mind that this pickup will end up in a strat.

I want a heavier sound than the factory pickups, but i am by no means a metal player.

So, does anyone have experience with different humbuckers in HSS strats that can give me their opinion?
Last edited by brad2222 at Jul 4, 2010,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
what amp do you have?

I recommend a Duncan Custom Custom TB

Thanks, I'll check it out. And I play through a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe...it's not the greatest high-gain amp but i like the sound.

And @Acousticmirror, I cant find that pickup anywhere online. A little help to find out more about it? Maybe a website?
Last edited by brad2222 at Jul 4, 2010,
I have an american HSS and I swapped out the stock Humbucker with a Dimarzio Super Distortion and it sounds great, more heavy than the stock for sure. The only soundclip of it I have though would be this --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87wZI6N_kKo. I only have my OD set to like half though so it can go alot heavier, basically perfect Iron Maiden tone if thats what your looking for.
My Gear:

Guitars:
Fender American HSS Stratocaster

Amps & Effects:
Hand-Wired JCM 800 2204
Hand-Wired V30 2x12 Cab
Keeley TS-9 Tube Screamer
ISP Decimator
EHX Holiest Grail
Modded Dunlop Crybaby
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Quote by LightningRider
I have an american HSS and I swapped out the stock Humbucker with a Dimarzio Super Distortion and it sounds great, more heavy than the stock for sure. The only soundclip of it I have though would be this --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87wZI6N_kKo. I only have my OD set to like half though so it can go alot heavier, basically perfect Iron Maiden tone if thats what your looking for.

I was looking into the Super Distortion before but i was worried that it was only for metal but im glad to see that it can be used for some classic stuff as well. Do you use it often for other classic rock songs? I see, based on your youtube channel that you are a fan of that style of music. Good playing by the way
So is the strat currently HSS or are you swapping pickguards?
If its currently singlecoil then put a wolfetone bitch in there (thats also singlecoil)... If its already HSS then get something from bareknuckle pickups.
To be honest it is based on the amp.. I use my strat as my main guitar in my thrash band. Those guitars are made like brick shithouses
"I've Been Imitated So Well I've Heard People Copy My Mistakes"- Jimi Hendrix

We're born to lose, so live to win
Quote by brad2222
I was looking into the Super Distortion before but i was worried that it was only for metal but im glad to see that it can be used for some classic stuff as well. Do you use it often for other classic rock songs? I see, based on your youtube channel that you are a fan of that style of music. Good playing by the way

The only thing I can't really do is brootal metal kind of stuff (probably with a heavier amp though you could), and the cleans on it aren't very good, but that's not a problem if you have the single coils in the neck and middle which make up for it. I'd say (with my amp) it can do everything from SRV to Iron Maiden and maybe a little more.
My Gear:

Guitars:
Fender American HSS Stratocaster

Amps & Effects:
Hand-Wired JCM 800 2204
Hand-Wired V30 2x12 Cab
Keeley TS-9 Tube Screamer
ISP Decimator
EHX Holiest Grail
Modded Dunlop Crybaby
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
So is the strat currently HSS or are you swapping pickguards?
If its currently singlecoil then put a wolfetone bitch in there (thats also singlecoil)... If its already HSS then get something from bareknuckle pickups.
To be honest it is based on the amp.. I use my strat as my main guitar in my thrash band. Those guitars are made like brick shithouses

It's currently HSS. I'm gonna check out bareknuckle pickups, they seem like a top of the line company. Im using a Hot Rod Deluxe if that affects anything.