I'm likely going to be playing at a neighbor's 4th of July party tonight, but I'm a bit worried about my equipment. I'm a full-time student and don't have a lot of money, so I'm stuck with a Marshall MG10 amp (I actually had the option of buying a 15-watt Genz-Benz amp for the same price, but I went with the Marshall because I thought it distorted better and would be easier to jam in my bedroom with). I can set the volume on the overdrive channel at 9:00 and be just fine if I'm practicing by myself, but I've heard that if you crank a low-wattage amp, your sound will get all muddy. Will I be okay?
If it's just going to be you playing I'd say there's no harm in trying. But if you're playing with a drummer, bassist, vocals, other guitars, keyboards etc (I don't know what you're into, just making a long list for my amusement) you won't be able to hear yourself, see if you can find an amp to borrow.
have you tried turning the volume louder? it doesnt actually get much louder than what it does. i have an mg 15 and the volume difference from it on 2 to 10 is actually nothing. there's no way you'll get loud enough. you wont even be heard over a drummer, let alone play with it outside (you need to be even louder outside since the sound spreads in all directions and doesn't bounce off walls)
Quote by Kyle-Rehm
If it's just going to be you playing I'd say there's no harm in trying. But if you're playing with a drummer, bassist, vocals, other guitars, keyboards etc (I don't know what you're into, just making a long list for my amusement) you won't be able to hear yourself, see if you can find an amp to borrow.

It'll just be me playing (and likely singing).