I would like to get a rectifier sometime in the near future for heavier music and to replace/upgrade from my V3. I reason I have narrowed it down to the rects is because apparently the roadster and new 2010 dual rect have good cleans and mid gain so I can use them for other kinds of music and the high gain modes that I am interested in.

So basically I want to know which would have the better tones, especially for death metal and melo-death and detuned heavier bands/songs like Amon Amarth, Stone Sour, In Flames, At the Gates, Carcass, Nevermore, Dream Theater, and heavier thrash bands like Exodus.
well, i've tried both...briefly
in my opinion the mark series (IV and V is what i've tried) is much more suited to my needs.
the rectifiers that i tried seemed harsh, hard to dial. I really prefer the Mark cleans as well.
It felt like the rectifiers just didnt have the character in the sound in was looking for. Keeping in mind, nothing was getting cranked up. I only spent about half on hour with the roadster, and played on someone's already setup dual for about 20.
The mid-gain seemed really really undefined and thin and loose to me. Above anything, the mid-gain lacked hardest in comparison to the mark. That being said, the Mark IVs mid-gain channel gets kinda loose sounding when the gain is dimed.
Anyways, i'd say be open to the Marks. They beat the rectos in all areas for me.

I'm a very mid-heavy player. I don't pull the presence knob on the gain channel, which is kind of like a scoop out that gives you more gain. I keep it fairly dry sounding with loads of mids and moderate high gain. It's very precise sounding, it makes sound like poo if i play badly. Can't hide behind the gain
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
they are basicly the same but the roadster is more $$ and looks different, has reverb, has a bias select swith, some stuff that makes life on the road easier i guess

Roadster

Dual Rectifier
"It's not about who has the biggest stick, it's about how hard you can swing it"
Okay, here's something I can truly relate to without a doubt in my mind. I've used both, and I actually own a Roadster head.

When Mesa released the 2010 Rectos, they took several of the Roadster's features and added them to the standard heads on a smaller scale.

The main differences are that the Roadster has four channels as opposed to three and that *all* the features are assignable to individual channels, rather than being these master controls. For the Roadster, you can assign wattage (50 or 100) to each channel, each channel has independent reverb controls, you can assign either silicon diode tracking or 5U4-type tube tracking which allows for more efficiency/overall punch/faster tracking or a saggy, vintage/"brown" kind of sound, respectively. The Roadster also allows you to program the FX loop to be permanently turned on for certain channels so that immediately upon switching from one channel to the next, the effects will already be engaged (this is actually extremely useful for live applications, trust me I'd be screwed during gigs if I didn't have this feature).

I believe the new Rectos can also assign wattage to individual channels, but other than that, they've got nothing on the Roadster.

Both amps have a bias switch, as do pretty much all Boogies.

The Roadster's heavier and definitely costs more, but trust me, it's well worth the extra cash.

Hope that helped you.
Standard Strat
Jackson WRMG
Parker DF724

Axe-Fx Standard
Carvin DCM1000L

Mesa Trad. Slant Recto 4x12 (UK V30s)
Custom Horiz. 2x12 (Commonwealth 12s)
Oh, also... As far as tone goes:

Firstly, you can't go wrong with a Mesa, period. Both amps have a huge midrange, so you can get the most ridiculous scoops and equally nice boosts. The cleans are fantastic, and playing either amp in a store for twenty minutes honestly doesn't do the justice. Quite frankly, the amount of gain that the Rectos can pump out is just absolutely gratuitous and sickening, and I ****ing love it.

The mid/vintage gain modes are where these amps can really surprise you. Unfortunately, 90% of the kids who're lucky enough to afford a Dual Rectifier of sorts will immediately take it home and go to channel 3/4, turn up the gain all the way, turn up the presence, bass and treble all the way, put it on modern gain, turn the mids to zero, tune to drop A and do those stupid palm-muted death chugs and think they've covered the whole amp already. I did the math, if you used each sound the Roadster can make for only 1 second each, it'd take you over 4058 years to hear every sound it can produce with only one guitar and no effects.

Oh, and every one of those sounds is good. Seriously... Get the Roadster. It's not an amp, it's four amps and each one sounds like sex.
Standard Strat
Jackson WRMG
Parker DF724

Axe-Fx Standard
Carvin DCM1000L

right. i will agree with karlboy in the sense that the roadster does seem more worthwhile.
I prefered the sound of the roadster in general, compared to the ordinary dual.

Just saying though, don't be afriad of trying to mark series. I can certainly understand that the tone isnt for everybody, but it really works for me. My band just finished recording an EP, we should have the tunes mixed and mastered within a week or so, if you're interested in hearing the tone. All the stuff on the myspace page in the my sig is Marshall right now, bar the two top videos. All handycam quality though
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
Quote by wyldeshredder
right. i will agree with karlboy in the sense that the roadster does seem more worthwhile.
I prefered the sound of the roadster in general, compared to the ordinary dual.

Just saying though, don't be afriad of trying to mark series. I can certainly understand that the tone isnt for everybody, but it really works for me. My band just finished recording an EP, we should have the tunes mixed and mastered within a week or so, if you're interested in hearing the tone. All the stuff on the myspace page in the my sig is Marshall right now, bar the two top videos. All handycam quality though

Though I love the Rectos, Wylde's got a very valid point. The Mark series has been overshadowed by the Rectifiers since the 90's and really are fantastic amps. You can actually find a nice IIC+ or a IV head for under $1000 if you look hard enough and luck out on the bidding. Occasionally, you may come across the rare III or IB, but rarely have I seen anything else floating around. As far as the Mark V goes, I have never personally tried one, but they're definitely worth looking into. The Mark amps aren't quite as aggressive as the Rectifiers, but they've also got a load of features that the Rectos never got. If your Mesa dealer's got a Mark V on hand, I seriously suggest you try that out along with the two Rectifiers.
Standard Strat
Jackson WRMG
Parker DF724

Axe-Fx Standard
Carvin DCM1000L

Mark V's are heavy as $*@$, just saying haha. Everything gets more brutal as you turn the volume up and grind in the strings. If you try a mark series amp make sure you keep the bass down pretty low, use the GEQ to bring the bass back into the mix. When I tried a Mark IV combo with a C90 in it, It was alright but wasn't me. When I tried a Mark V combo with a C90, it was better but still didn't hit it home run but I took the chance and got the head to use with my V30 412. I'm glad I got it because it can be brutal, or it can be nice a clean or have anything in between. Try stuff out man, best advice.
Gear

Mesa/Boogie Mark V Head
Mills Acoustics Mach 212B
Peavey Vypyr 15w
ESP LTD EC-1000 guitar (BKP Nailbombs)
Fender American Standard Strat
PRS Custom 24
Dunlop KH Signature Wah
Menatone Red Snapper
Boss DD-7 Delay
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Quote by Karlboy
You can actually find a nice IIC+ or a IV head for under $1000 if you look hard enough and luck out on the bidding. Occasionally, you may come across the rare III

Dude, IIC+es regularly go for +$2000 thanks to Master of Puppets (if you can point me to one for less than $1000, I would love to see it) but the other Mark IIs are another story... and I always see Mark IIIs pop up on my Craigslist for $500 - $800. It's crazy.

As far as sound goes, I've heard the Mark V's clean and R2 channels are much improved over the IV, but the IV still has a better lead channel, oddly enough (coming from MatrixClaw, a guy I trust to know his shit)

Between the Rectifiers, the Roadster is second only to the Road King in terms of sound quality. I've played all three, but for very little time each... I'm not sure if the Roadster is better than the 2010 Rectos but it's certainly better than the 2000 - 2009 Rectos.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
Dude, IIC+es regularly go for +$2000 thanks to Master of Puppets (if you can point me to one for less than $1000, I would love to see it) but the other Mark IIs are another story... and I always see Mark IIIs pop up on my Craigslist for $500 - $800. It's crazy.

eBay and Kijiji have them up all the time. Unfortunately, C's can easily be mistaken for C+'s, because directly above the power cord attachment dealiomabob is a hand-written +. You can tell by the FX loop circuitry whether you've got an original or the + variant, but rarely will anybody actually post pictures of the improved FX loops when selling, and even more rarely will the buyer be tech savvy enough to know which is which. So someone could in theory 'counterfeit' a IIC+, but nonetheless both variants were extremely good. Regarding your note about III's, I think I've ever seen 2 or 3 on sale ever.
Standard Strat
Jackson WRMG
Parker DF724

Axe-Fx Standard
Carvin DCM1000L

yeah if you can find a IIC+ go for it, its about the same as a new roadster or Mark V but the tones might be even better than those two! haha
"It's not about who has the biggest stick, it's about how hard you can swing it"