Hi,

I've just boughgt a new guitar with a Floyd rose special on it. After pressing the whammy bar down, when I play the strings they're slightly out of tune. When I pull the whammy bar back up again, the strings are in tune again.

Is this a disadvantage of a floyd rose or does this sound like it's faulty? Thanks.
Sounds like a Floyd Rose.

With the constant change in tension of the strings, they pull out of tune. It's normal. You might not have your locking nuts on tight enough though.
Gear:

Early 90's B.C. Rich STIII N.J. Series, Red Sparkle
1988 Charvel Model 4, Firecrackle - Retired
2003-04s Ibanez RG1570 Prestige, Gray Nickel
Line 6 Spidervalve HD100 MK1 with Marshall VS412
Quote by grantjames
Hi,

I've just boughgt a new guitar with a Floyd rose special on it. After pressing the whammy bar down, when I play the strings they're slightly out of tune. When I pull the whammy bar back up again, the strings are in tune again.

Is this a disadvantage of a floyd rose or does this sound like it's faulty? Thanks.

A working Floyd Rose that's set up properly should pretty much never go out of tune. What guitar is it? Was it new or used?

There's a chance the knife edges have worn down. If not then it likely just needs a proper set up.
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
The guitar is brand new. Not sure how long it would have been in the shop though.

I'll take it back to the shop and see what they say.

Thanks a lot.

Edit: oh and the guitar is an ESP LTD M-300FM.
Last edited by grantjames at Jul 4, 2010,
FR's that return to PERFECT tune, ALL of the time are one in a million. To get a FR to return to near perfect tune all of the time requires a super duper setup on the guitar and on the tuning itself.

There are a lot of factors that can affect the return of the bridge, and yes this is a disadvantage to FR's. Don't expect to be super dive bombing and return to perfect tune all of the time, pulling up a little isn't so bad is it?

But more than likely it's because you don't have a super high end FR, the guitar is from a shop (which means it might not have been set up the best) and yes there could be wear on it.

But for now I'd educate myself on the FR system and then make a judgment!
"Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you." - Aldous Huxley
Last edited by Zamorak at Jul 4, 2010,
Hi all,

I've done some more Googling around and I think it's likely that the knife edges need some lube. It kind of makes because basically the friction is stopping the springs from pulling the bridge back all the way.

I'll report back tonight once I've given it a go.
AWESOME!

Putting some sewing machine oil on the knife edges has improved this A LOT. It now goes slightly out of tune, but not enough that it's noticeable unless looking at it on a tuner.

Just wondering whether I should take it back to the shop now. Maybe the lack of oil on it before has done some damage to the knife edges?
I have a Jackson Kelly, a Fender tie-dye and Walock with Floyd Rose. they all act differently from each other.

I actually prefer the simplicity of of my Fender Statocasters' floating bridges.. Yes, they go out of tune quicker but no fiddling, no locks, etc. 'zip,zip...back in tune in 5 seconds.

There are too many variables to identify one issue with a floyd rose.
Really? Putting oil on it fixed it? That's actually really strange as oil or any other lubricant does next to nothing at all. Whatever site told you that is pretty much making it up.

Lack of oil would not have damaged a thing, if they're damaged at all. You should be able to inspect that.
"Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you." - Aldous Huxley
Quote by Zamorak
Really? Putting oil on it fixed it? That's actually really strange as oil or any other lubricant does next to nothing at all. Whatever site told you that is pretty much making it up.

Lack of oil would not have damaged a thing, if they're damaged at all. You should be able to inspect that.

This is the site that mentioned oil - http://www.tremol-no.com/cleanandlube.asp

I tried it because the article mentions my exact problem at the top and says that lack of oil is the problem. The reason I'm concerned it might be damaged is because I have seen tiny "flakes" of a bronze coloured metal coming from the gap between the knife edge and posts.

I'm going to take the strings off tonight and get a proper look! I shall report back with findings.
Last edited by grantjames at Jul 6, 2010,
Ahh. That might be from adjusting the height while there is tension on the posts. See the knife edges barely
Contact the posts at all, there is such a minuscule contact point that oil or graphite should have no effect. So if it works, that's great! But I'm not so sure the problem is solved. A proper setup is always a good step
Quote by Zamorak
Ahh. That might be from adjusting the height while there is tension on the posts. See the knife edges barely
Contact the posts at all, there is such a minuscule contact point that oil or graphite should have no effect. So if it works, that's great! But I'm not so sure the problem is solved. A proper setup is always a good step

Cool, thanks for the advice. I appreciate it. I'll still take it to the shop then in that case because I'd rather it be set up correctly to start with.
Quote by Zamorak
FR's that return to PERFECT tune, ALL of the time are one in a million. To get a FR to return to near perfect tune all of the time requires a super duper setup on the guitar and on the tuning itself.

There are a lot of factors that can affect the return of the bridge, and yes this is a disadvantage to FR's. Don't expect to be super dive bombing and return to perfect tune all of the time, pulling up a little isn't so bad is it?

But more than likely it's because you don't have a super high end FR, the guitar is from a shop (which means it might not have been set up the best) and yes there could be wear on it.

But for now I'd educate myself on the FR system and then make a judgment!

wut?I cant be so sure of that...I have two Edge Pro's and they return to zero perfectly...hell it'd be annoying if it goes flat everytime I divebomb

flat or sharp return usually happens when it's not setup right,but before coming to a conclusion, there are three things that I must ask you

1)did you stretch the strings
2)are the knife edges worn out or did you rotate the studs when its under tension?
3)did you tighten the locking nut?

go to this site and set it up accordingly..thats hands down the best tech site on teh internet
Quote by archenemyfan
wut?I cant be so sure of that...I have two Edge Pro's and they return to zero perfectly...hell it'd be annoying if it goes flat everytime I divebomb

flat or sharp return usually happens when it's not setup right,but before coming to a conclusion, there are three things that I must ask you

2)are the knife edges worn out or did you rotate the studs when its under tension?

go to this site and set it up accordingly..thats hands down the best tech site on teh internet

The guitar was already set up in the store, but when I checked it with a tuner when I got home, it was almost a step too low, so when I tuned it, the bridge wasn't level with the body. It was being pulled too far forward.

I stretched the strings to check they had been fully stretched and then tuned. I Detuned a little and tightened the screws in the back so that the bridge was level with the body again. I repeated this process until the guitar was in tune, and the bridge was level.

I didn't touch the studs at all, just the screws to pull the springs tighter.

The locking nut is quite tight. Exactly how tight would you recommend doing it? I don't want to wreck the strings.

Just reading through that site so if it answers any of those questions I will edit
Quote by archenemyfan

True, I was referring to perfect return every time after every time you pull up. Return can be pretty much perfect after a dive but pull ups are the problem, sorry I didn't specify that. I'm sorry haha.

Ibanezrules is a GREAT site. Read that. Also, DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THE LOCKING NUT. You just need it to be tight enough to resist turning the wrench. Otherwise you're going to strip the threads...
Quote by Zamorak
True, I was referring to perfect return every time after every time you pull up. Return can be pretty much perfect after a dive but pull ups are the problem, sorry I didn't specify that. I'm sorry haha.

Ibanezrules is a GREAT site. Read that. Also, DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THE LOCKING NUT. You just need it to be tight enough to resist turning the wrench. Otherwise you're going to strip the threads...

yeah,thats true..do not overtighten the locking nut..

and just saw your post TS,and seems like you have set it up right,but read the site and set it up again..

hmm,yeah pullups are very hard to get in tune,but still you can..flat return from divebombs and coming back to tune with a pullup usually happens when the FR is worn out or when it isnt setup correctly..and of course like zamorak said it could be the fact that your FR isnt a good solid one...

I tried it because the article mentions my exact problem at the top and says that lack of oil is the problem. The reason I'm concerned it might be damaged is because I have seen tiny "flakes" of a bronze coloured metal coming from the gap between the knife edge and posts.

sorry to break it to you but that sounds like that the knife edges are damaged,you`ll have to take a look at it...